HELP Think son has Aspergers, but need more information

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

alaskamom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2006, 9:35 pm

Good Evening...

I have a six year old son who I am currently homeschooling. I suspect AS but I wanted to list some of the things I am seeing to get some other opinions. DH thinks I am just looking for trouble, but I am with him all the time, so I disagree....

Has trouble talking to and relating to kids his own age-but gets along great with adults. Asks very relevant questions, usually related to flashlights, or how things work.

If someone he does not know asks him a question, I will have to prompt him to answer the question.

Having problems with handwriting-and tying his shoes.

Gets very bent out of shape if things do not go according to the plan

Talks in a voice sometimes that sounds whiny

Very very smell, pain, light sensitive.

Will sometimes whisper back to himself the last phrase that someone spoke to him, right after it was said.

Has to be busy all the time, the only time he stops is to watch a video

Does not follow instructions well, usually has to be asked several times before it registers.

He also has about 11 foods that he is allergic to as well as asthma and eczema. I have no doubt that some of the medication for his asthma causes some of the activity, but cannot explain it all.

Has a fear of the ceiling fan in his room, so he is now sleeping in his "fort" under his loft bed.

There is more-but these should give you an idea.

If anyone could help, I would be so grateful,

J's Mom

ster
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2006, 10:15 pm

sounds familiar.... do you have any friends with kids that you could ask their opinion ?at any rate,i'd talk to his pediatrician about your concerns.

OurChris
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2006, 12:35 am

Yep, I agree. I would speak to his pediatrition and outline everything. If he/she feels that your son may have AS or any other issues then your son will be referred for further testing. Just as with any condition, diagnosis should be performed by a medical professional. Hang in there and let us know what happens.

Katherine :)

Anna
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2006, 12:40 am

alaskamom wrote:
Good Evening...

I have a six year old son who I am currently homeschooling. I suspect AS but I wanted to list some of the things I am seeing to get some other opinions. DH thinks I am just looking for trouble, but I am with him all the time, so I disagree....

I think your description sounds very familiar. Have it checked out and, in the meantime, learn more about what you can do to help him deal with specific issues.

nomoreality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2006, 4:08 pm

You just almost described my son!

I think your son has AS but you have to ask yourself - do you want a label for him?

Only if the label is going to help him get services he needs should you go for it because the outside world is still so ignorant and may make incorrect assumptions. Of course, there is an argument for all Aspies to have the label to show the outside world that we are as diverse as any other sub-group.

Anyway - good luck!

alaskamom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2006, 7:24 pm

Thank you for your helpful advice. I am seeking the advice of his pediatrician, and spoke with a neighbor whose daughter is battling the some of the same issues, and she has a really good doc. who she sees now. The lifelong label concerns me, so we may deal with issues one at a time...

ie. his spatial problems, sensivity issues, social skills etc... forgive my punctuation-I ramble online

thanks again

I am curious if any ones child also deals with food allergies and asthma as well? I am reluctant also to put him on another medication ...

ster
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2006, 8:24 pm

aspie son suffers from depression as a result of years of being bullied...daughter is going for dx now...hubby ( also an aspie) is allergic to some mustards and has had epileptic-like seizures when he was little............no others allergies, though.