Does anyone have experience with DMG?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2006, 9:58 pm

DIMETHYL GLYCINE HYDROCHLORIDE (what a mouthful!)

It sounds too good to be true. No negative side effects, inexpensive, and helps to diminish "behavioral difficulties" (their words).

We have tried several dietary changes involving the dyes, gluten, lactic acid, and so on with ZERO results, but other than kid vitamins we haven't explored obscure nutrients at all. Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks.

egghead
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Aug 2006, 12:20 pm

I tried this years ago under the name pangamic acid (2,2,3 DMG). It is supposed to improve oxygenation to the heart and brain both, and decrease lactic acid production (have to review my college bichem). Don't know if I found much benefit. The flip side is there were no adverse side effects either.

Glycine at high doses is supposed to help mood. It also triggers growth hormone for weight loss or muscle gain, or both. I think the adult dose was 2-4 grams per day.

I think I might have felt better on the high dose glycine, but it may have been placebo effect. Don't use it now, nor would I restart.

High dose GABA is also supposed to help mood, probably by assisting those portions of the brain that use it as a receptor. Meds like lamictal, neurontin, gabatril are meds that work on the same brain receptors. Gabatril and neurontin have had mixed results in mania and moodiness; present studies seem to suggest lamictal does have a benefit.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2006, 11:32 am

Hi, egghead,

That gives me a few ideas.
I'm still "fighting" (internally) with the admin and counselors at my kids' school concerning use of chemicals, which can adversly affect their health in later years. At least the fight was all internal, until yesterday when a call came from the "team" to confirm some eval dates in the coming school year. The subject always comes up about starting them on Riddalin (?) or others. They all just assume that I would want that in order to "make them more manageable". They can even fix it so it's free to us(?).

My kids are not unmanageable, they're autistic. I just have no faith in prescriptions being administered before a full diagnosis can even be performed. I'm throwing my hands up in the air trying to make these people understand my position.

Maybe it's a pipe dream, but I know foods affect all of us at times, but there seems to be no consistency where the 'identified" food problems are concerned. So, I'm still looking at all options.

Thanks, for your help.

egghead

03 Aug 2006, 12:48 pm

Ritalin is a stimulant. It's the oldest of the stimulants for ADD/ADHD. Not the best in my opinion- Concerta and Adderall have easier dosing regiemes and less peaks and troughs. Your kid is autistic. So is mine.

A good psychiatrist will do testing on and off stimulants to see if there is an improvement in testing scores as a part of the workup for AS since many AS kids have concomitant issues- maybe heredity, maybe inherent to the brain rewiring of AS, maybe as a result of an AS kid living in an NT world- no one knows yet. If there is testing and your child tests better on stimulants, then a trial of stimulants might be of benefit.

Diet affects all of us more than we realize. Restricting simple carbohydrates- sugar, starch, white flour, white rice, definitely will improve mood in some people, though not all. It's worth a try, in my opinion, if you can get the kid to give up on the carbs. Dietary chemical additives can be an issue, but is yet unproved. Heck, Roy Walford added BHT to his diet due to it's antioxidant effect. Good luck.

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Aug 2006, 8:17 pm

egghead wrote:
Ritalin is a stimulant. It's the oldest of the stimulants for ADD/ADHD. Not the best in my opinion- Concerta and Adderall have easier dosing regiemes and less peaks and troughs. Your kid is autistic. So is mine.

A good psychiatrist will do testing on and off stimulants to see if there is an improvement in testing scores as a part of the workup for AS since many AS kids have concomitant issues- maybe heredity, maybe inherent to the brain rewiring of AS, maybe as a result of an AS kid living in an NT world- no one knows yet. If there is testing and your child tests better on stimulants, then a trial of stimulants might be of benefit.

Diet affects all of us more than we realize. Restricting simple carbohydrates- sugar, starch, white flour, white rice, definitely will improve mood in some people, though not all. It's worth a try, in my opinion, if you can get the kid to give up on the carbs. Dietary chemical additives can be an issue, but is yet unproved. Heck, Roy Walford added BHT to his diet due to it's antioxidant effect. Good luck.

My son is on Adderal.. and has had good results.. he is not a good eater when he is on the meds during the day but eats till all hours when it wears off. Its such a battle to get him to eat because of his picky attitude I know that it would never work for us for him to be on a special diet.. as much as people try to push it down my throat that I need to change his diet I know its a pipe dream. because my child eats so few foods to start with. trying to get him to eat those Special foods is a really big deal.. this is something he might want to try when he is older and understands his disorder better.. i sometimes think its one of those battles that i choose to not fight because food is very important.. when you only eat about 5 different things and you are 9 and your mom forces you to eat what she thinks is better for you.. I can tell you he will win.. because no mom wants to see their child go without food.. and that will be just what my son would do.. starve rather than eat what he thinks will make him sick...

I made the mistake one time and made him eat something that I wanted him to eat. you know what he did.. Vomited all over the place.. the last time Mommy made him eat that food that made him gag.. my son lives on peanut butter and jelly toast and milk.. I think he could be eating a lot worse... he would eat it 3 meals a day... and sometimes he does.. we did sneak in wheat bread! heee heee mommy does these things unknown to him... badddd mommy..

three2camp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2006, 7:30 am

DirtDawg wrote:
I'm still "fighting" (internally) with the admin and counselors at my kids' school concerning use of chemicals, which can adversly affect their health in later years. At least the fight was all internal, until yesterday when a call came from the "team" to confirm some eval dates in the coming school year. The subject always comes up about starting them on Riddalin (?) or others. They all just assume that I would want that in order to "make them more manageable". They can even fix it so it's free to us(?).

And which of them has the medical degree required for diagnosing and prescribing stimulants like Ritalin?

And what about the children? Do they feel they are unmanageable? Is their condition interfering with their learning?

We kept running into that same thing - they didn't care what was right for the child. They refused to adapt their procedures, policies and behaviors to make it so my child could learn - it was always his fault and our fault. It's just wrong when they fail to take the children into account.

Maybe meds are the way to go, but it's NOT their call.

egghead

04 Aug 2006, 7:07 pm

Stimulants are good for true ADHD- the improvement is amazing. The problem comes in where docs just try it to see what happens. Everyone does a bit better with a stimulant, and having some teacher be the decision maker on whether or not the kid benefits is not the best. Hell, I could be stoned all day and as long as my grades were okay, the teacher would say I'm fine, when in fact, I dumbed myself down to survive. Again, an evaluation on and off meds with a head to head comparison is the best way to go.

thorn969
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2006, 1:45 am

On pubmed, there was one study of DMG with autism. It was performed with a low dosage, but no significant improvement was found.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum