New Senco, New Aspie Mum - the blind leading the blind!! !

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Scooter
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Sep 2008, 12:12 pm

Hi,
Could I have some guidance? Please!

Went to meet the SENCO at my daughters school yesterday year 6 middle in uk (Becky was finally dx in August this year) also possibly bi-polar.
The SENCO'S new to the job and I'm new to the aspie world, the senco listened to me, certainly, wants to put my daughter on the "inclusion" list (now I really I'm nt actually sure what that means? Any one got any ideas/
The Senco seems a very nice person, but I felt she expected me to tell her what I wanted her to do - I'm not sure I know what's best yet?
Becky (my 10 yr old) is noisy but hates noise - I think I may have found a trigger!
she has poor co-ordination, little or no empathy, hates eye contact, places that are too bright or crowded.
I'm not sure I'm best placed to identify what can be done at this stage to help her, her school work is good, science and maths, pe and music her weaker subjects - definately more creative.
But multi parts instructions throw her off balance.
Basically I think both the Senco and I are possibly too new to help with out some guidance - and I really am not sure where to start.

So far the school have been helpful and interested but I have no idea what is available or could be to know if it could be of any help, any advice, or stories of other experiences would be really useful.

Thanks Sue

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 2:45 pm

Perhaps knowing what other children her age receive in services and accommodations will help?

We actually don't have my son's 6 grade services yet (new school, middle school) but some of the things on the table are:

Occupational therapy (motor skills and sensory issues)
Shortened assignments (executive function and physical writing issues)
Dictated assignments instead of self-written (the multi-task function of writing impairs my son's ability to share what he knows effectively, so for longer papers etc. he has always dictated them to me while I type them out. Also, literally no one but he can accurately read his writing).
Permission to escape unquestioned to another part of the campus when feeling overloaded by sensory issues.
Social skills groups.
Counseling to deal with stress issues, upset from social difficulties, etc.
Intense typing skills training (to overcome having to dictate) and/or computer assist voice technology (I would rather he learn to type efficiently and take a laptop or alpha board into class).
Speech therapy (pragmatic speech and / or social skills)
Freedom to sit weird and move in his seat, chew on something or otherwise stim without being corrected by the teacher, since movement and thought are highly integrated for him.

My son is stressed by noise, as well, and also likes to make his own noise (it's self-calming). While he does have to try to control the noise making during the school day, the teachers have been great about noticing and helping with outside noise issues. His elementary school could take him out of assemblies, etc., when they saw him reacting negatively. Noise can be a huge trigger, so I'm glad you've spotted that one.

PE and music class are, of course, quite noisy. It may be worth finding out what your daughter feels could help her in those classes, and then bringing it up with the school.

Good luck. We are often the blind leading the blind, especially since each AS child is unique. Rely on your instincts.

Scooter
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Sep 2008, 2:49 pm

Wow!
That's brilliant!
Thank you so much that's exactley the kind of thing I needed a list of suggestions ideas and options!
Thanks so much! :D

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 2:54 pm

You are very welcome :)

Another mom on this forum asked for and has received a self-directed period for her boys each time. It seems they are fine with everything else if they can take a very long and quiet break (NOT recess, that is something different) and do self-study and the like (subjects and projects they choose) on a computer without other kids around. So that is also an option.