Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Nov 2006, 9:43 am

Does any of your kids complain of this after a day in school? MY head hurts. I know it has to do with the sensory overload.. but at times it gets really bad. he can not function to do homework. of course he can not tell me just what hurts.. i want to know if its actual pain? or at times he says that he feels that his head is jumbled. we try to wind him down but if he does not do his homework after school then he is spent. he can not function to do it later on... just wondering if any other parents heard their children complain of their head hurting?

ion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2006, 10:28 am

Have you tried meditation? I think that's used for kids with similar problems, and it works good for me.
I don't have kids, but I recognize the symptoms myself.

starling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Nov 2006, 10:34 am

My daughter has lots of headaches. She has it almost every day. She says she feels it around her eyes. She also says she's dizzy a lot. But last week I found out it's not the dizzyness one feels when stopping after spinning. I think she sees the world different when she's overloaded. I know that way of seeing. It's like seeing from a distance without a real distance. It's hard to describe.

I don't know about your son, but he may benefit from a real time out for a while in a dark place on his own for ten minutes or so.

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2006, 11:01 am

In work I go into complete sensory overload. I generally get a really bad headache around my eyes and the back of my head. When I get home I sit down with calming music and a herbal tea. I have to sit down and relax before I can do any house work at all.

I have set up a part of my bedroom just for relaxing, I find it very helpful. I had to set it up in my bedroom as I live with others and it is the only part of the house that is completely quite.

Try and let him decide when he feels ready to do his homework within a time limit, before he gets to tired to do any work. If he gets into any bad habits they will be hard to change.

starling wrote:
I found out it's not the dizzyness one feels when stopping after spinning. I think she sees the world different when she's overloaded. I know that way of seeing. It's like seeing from a distance without a real distance.

Yeah the dizziness is more like a complete disconnection from everything around you and it is very difficult to concentrate. :roll:

Last edited by IrishEyes on 12 Nov 2006, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2006, 1:44 pm

Have you considered migranes? This needs a doctor's visit.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2006, 6:35 am

hubby gets really bad migraines when he's had to expend great amounts of energy to "fit in".as a kid, he used to pass out because they were that intense. whether it's a migraine or sensory overload, the pain is real.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 11:58 am

ster wrote:
hubby gets really bad migraines when he's had to expend great amounts of energy to "fit in".as a kid, he used to pass out because they were that intense. whether it's a migraine or sensory overload, the pain is real.

Oh God, that is awful!

I ended up in psych...

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 10:39 am

Yeah, the headaches are real all right. I used to get them very often as a child and sometimes still get them. Kids are given far too much homework these days, which doesn't help the situation.

I also used to get what is called "stomach migraines" through stress at school or at home. It is abdominal pain and sometimes vomiting or feeling faint. That went away as I got older but I still get an occasional migraine and have stiff shoulders and neck most of the time.

The kids aren't making it up that they have a headache. If they will let you feel their shoulders and neck at these times, you will probably find them are hard and tensed up.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon