Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

glo1973
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Oct 2006, 5:26 pm

hi everyone mention a few weeks ago i was awaiting a hospital appointment for my 11yr old son well hospital rang today and i go tomorrow as i got a cancellation so maybe we might start getting some anwsers and get a diagnosis of some sort

how long has everyone else had too wait for diagnosis after seein hospital i went in feb they did first part of assessment so not sure what they will be doing tomorrow but im just glad it is finally here as when i saw dr in feb he said he wanted too see my son with in 4 weeks and yes they have been longest 4 weeks i have ever known
#

will be on here tomorrow night too let u all know what happens

glo :D

Pippen
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2006, 10:06 pm

It really depends on the length of the appointments, how much information has been shared via paperwork ahead of time, the skill of the diagnostician, whether data from other diagnosticians (such as speech or OT) are needed, and other factors such as whether there are co-morbid diagnoses, etc.

Oftentimes a skilled diagnostician who has expertise in ASD's will have a good idea whether the child's dx lies in that direction or not after an initial appointment (provided it's long enough). We had a 2 1/2 hour initial appointment after I'd already sent in a mountain of paperwork and I left there knowing the doctor felt my son Autistic Spectrumish, and leaning in the direction of NonVerbal Learning Disability. From there had us come back for a one hour appointment at which time he did a diagnostic test and referred us on for speech/language assessment. After that we had an appointment in which he pulled it all together and gave an official dx.

Yup, those were some of the longest weeks of my life too. I think the waiting was the worst.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2006, 6:37 am

my daughter's dx process started at the beginning of August & we got the results 11 weeks later...son's eval took 8 weeks....hubby's eval was done by the end of the first session....who knows? ...i guess in some cases it depends on the severity of symptoms, and the knowledge base of the dr doing the eval

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2006, 10:10 pm

It all depends on who you see. My son's dx came 12 weeks after the original appt but that was due to long wait times in between sessions. He only saw her 4 times.