Whats in Your Fridge and Cupboards?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 11:04 pm

Whats in Your Fridge and cupboards?
what would you like to be in your fridge?
what do you normally have in your fridge?
how many adults and children in your home and what ages?
how much of what you got in your fridge is healthy?
what do you have for snacks?
whats in your fridge and cupboards that you mix to make a meal?
etc etc etc.

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 11:49 pm

It would take me to long to list, so I am wondering if you wanted to know for a specific reason? Maybe a reason behind your question, would give me a starting point. Or are you just being a sticky nose? lol :wink: :lol:

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 11:58 pm

Believe it or not, there's food in there! :lol: j/k

I'd like there to be more fresh fruits and veggies in my fridge but I haven't gone shopping yet. Normally there's milk, orange juice, water, veggies, fruits, salad stuff, condiments and usually some leftovers from whatever I cooked the night before. Almost everything in my fridge and cupboards is healthy (we're trans fat-free here) and we have a few GFCF options for the days our kids are having behavior issues. For snacks we have granola bars, popcorn, blue corn tortilla chip and salsa. I usually have a candy stash, but currently I do not. I've been eating fresh red berries with light whipped topping instead. Or Ovaltine.

I make a lot of casseroles, chili, soups, scalloped potatoes and stuff you can make in a crock pot. I LOVE my crock pot! I always have stuff on hand to bake cookies with my daughter (she's 4) on an otherwise lousy winter day as a special treat.

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2008, 12:13 am

Well naturally I'd LIKE there to be some kind of portal to Antarctica so I could sic my cat on penguins, keep first-hand tabs on global warming's effects, and go lookin' for them Mountains of Madness on my next vacation.

Right now, there's a lot of leftover turkey for my cat, cubed Velveta for my dog, and pre-packaged food for me.

In the cupboards, there's leftover Superbowl snacks, and cereal from Big Lots. I do not eat healthy when left to my own devices.

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 12:20 am

my fridge is pretty close to bare usually until my daughter comes over to stay with me, then I go shopping for the two, three or four days she's with me.
Right now we have:

Liquids: Apple cider (from a friend's cider works), my daughter's quart of milk, my soy milk, a gallon of bottled water.

Solids: half a large pizza from tonight's dinner (that'll be gone tomorrow), sausage that is thawing out for a meal sometime this week, half a can of tuna from last week (it's in a plastic container... hope it's still good), a jar of jam, two small yogurts, a small block of cheese from the local chees factory, dried salami from the local butcher, some cherry tomatoes, some lettuce, four eggs, a few eggrolls that I bought the other day (one of those big round packs for parties - post superbowl sale) and proceeded to dump onto the floorboard of my truck (I'm eating them but my daughter won't touch them :twisted: )

Condiments: partial bottle of ketsup, worcester sauce, a couple of partial bottles of salad dressing, home-canned fruit of some kind - one jar from a friend, maple syrup (which I mostly just drink and hardly use on anything)

My cupboard has some staples like rice, salt, spices, soups, and a few canned veggies like baby corn, etc.
I also have dry cereal there... usually. I also have a raman noodle pack or two, a jar of peanut butter, toothpicks.

My freezer usually has at least one frozen veggie my daughter eats for school lunch... I try to make a fresh veggie for every supper. But today I bought a package of frozen veggie burgers so there's twelve of them in there now.

I try to eat pretty good, but today in my running class as college we were weighed and the scale gave us a reading of our body fat percentage.
It's not as accurate as a real body-fat test with the tank and all, but it really just for a reference at the beginning of the semester.

I now weigh in at 215lbs! 8O ... and my body fat percentage is 9 according to the machine.

Whenever I tell folks I want to lose a good 30 pounds, they look at me and ask why?
They say I am just fine... I'm 6'2", so even though this is the heaviest I've ever weighed I guess I don't look like I'm too big to them.

Still, I keep wanting to have healthy food at home. We do eat home cooked meals the majority of nights so I can't complain too much about that... it's all the junk food I eat at work that's getting me so big I'm sure.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 6:37 am

my fridge has lots of fruit and cheeses.....I'm afraid those 2 food groups are the most consumed in our house.
some deli meats ( ham, pepperoni) are in the fridge, along with some fresh veggies.....milk, oj, condiments, spaghetti sauce. no leftovers here, as no one eats them.....

i almost always serve meals whose components don't touch. i've been told that foods touching each other is unnatural LOL!
so generally, it's meat/potatoes/veg/fruit.....or meat/pasta/veg/fruit.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 10:11 am

Currently my fridge contains:
2 bottles Honeydew (organic beer)
1 pint of milk
1/2 lb Gouda cheese
1 oz Dolceleta cheese

I have about 1/4 loaf of bread and a bit (2 oz) butter on the worktop
1 cupboard has Earl Gray Tea & Sugar in abundance also a little instant coffee
Another has some stuff that is well stale and hasn't been touched for years like instant mash potato (yuk), salt, custard powder also some jam, honey & marmite that is quite uasble.
I have 2 biscuit tins one is empty (for sweet biscuits) and 1 full of crackers

If WW III strikes I will be well scuppered :)

greendeltatke
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2008, 12:57 pm

My son has a weight problem, so we're careful about how much junk food we keep. We gets a weekly trip to McDonalds and a Sunday treat of any candy bar he wants. Otherwise, he has to pick from his choices of healthy stuff. He will eat bananas, apple sauce, milk, cheese, yogurt, peanut butter, baby spinach, chicken, turkey, salmon and pasta. It's very boring and repetitive, but until he likes more kinds of healthy stuff it's the only option we have.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 3:31 pm

With three growing boys in the house there is a huge "food flow".
We always have low fat milk, wholemeal and rye bread, butter, cut meat, cheese, carrots, lots and lots of fruit and veg, rice, pasta, potatoes, oatmeal, onions, garlic tinned tomato, tuna, and mackrel, lentils, chickpeas and oil. These are our basics.
Meat (for example minced, chicken, or chops) or fish (cod, salmon, herring, mackrel) for dinner we buy almost daily.
We have frozen veg, meat ect. in the freezer. When we're organized we have frozen home made food thee too, for quick meals.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 4:42 pm

I keep a lot of "easy to prepare" foods in the cupboards and fridge. Too many staples (flour, rice, fresh veggies) and I don't have the will to cook from scratch so I keep bottled V-8, cartons of broth, canned tomatoes (in winter), sauce bases, dehydrated spices and stuff like Bisquick and instant oatmeal. I have had Wheat Germ on hand since my pregnancy.
I keep tuna and peanut butter and honey for my husband's lunches. He's the only one who takes a packed lunch box to work.

I have a ever-replenishing supply of breads, Goldfish (crackers), Pringles, butter, eggs, cheeses and whole milk. I'm currently keeping half and half in supply too because of a recipe I have.

I'm unhappy with my flour (KIng ARthur's whole wheat and Soft as Silk) so I'll be researching other kinds. I keep both turbinado sugar (my preference) and refined (husband's and for baking) in supply.

I also keep a store branded cheese pizza, ice cream, frozen veggies. Currently the only fresh vegetable I have is spinach. Which I have to cook tonight. :o

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 5:00 pm

KimJ wrote:
I'm unhappy with my flour (KIng ARthur's whole wheat and Soft as Silk) so I'll be researching other kinds.

We kept up a steady supply of home-ground wheat from the whole wheat we got from our local co-op.
They had a few varieties and we'd grind a large plastic container (airtight sealing) full of flour.

Works really nice, just take 15 min to 1/2 hr depending on how much your grinding and what type of machine you're using.

We used this...
The Champion Juicer

It did create a little bit of flour dust, but it really could grind those wheat berries pretty fine if we wanted.

It was a nice feeling to grind our own. My former wife kept the juicer, but I may get one some day.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 9:19 pm

Ok, now, what should I have with my having a 2 year old toddler?
a good and healthy variety please.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 9:02 am

When I had my first kid (10 years ago) I was young and not very domestic and I definately couldn't cook! I read book on food for kids, and experimented. In the beginning, I shopped every day, after deciding what to have for dinner. Now it's a habit, and much easier.

I have a two year old. We're not American, so maybe it's way off, but this is a "typical" list:

breakfast: oatmeal porridge (1/2 cup + 1 cup of water boiled for 3 minutes) with milk and a little sugar.

snack at 9 o'clock: healthy bread, peeled and cut fruit or cucumber or carrot stick or dried fruit.

lunch at 12 o'clock: sandwhich (cheese, ham, peanutbutter, tuna ect. on wholewheat bread), or left-overs heated in the microwave. Milk.

snack: 3.30: same as morning

dinner: 6 o'clock The two year old's favourites:

spagetti bolagnese

chicken (stick it in the oven, with salt and pepper, for an hour for a whole chicken). Peel and cut potatoes in 1/8s, turn them in a little oil, stick them in the oven for 25 minutes, add salt when they're done YUMMY.

meatballs - ask if you want a recipe.

soup (brown then boil potatoes, carrots, leeks and/or whatever else you've got. When they're done, pore most of the water off. Blend with salt, pepper, spices, olive oil or butter to a thick soup. Serve with a little yoghurt or bacon on top, and fresh bread.)

I serve vegtables with dinner. Frozen are easy. Lots of little kids prefer raw vegtables, like carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, cherry tomatoes on the side. Corn cobs are a FUN.
If they don't eat them, keep serving them...

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 10:27 pm

You must know what to feed a two-year old, correct? Why are you asking such questions?
Eggs, milk, butter, cereal, cjuices, cheese, fruit, cold cuts, etc.

What am I missing here?????

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 12:20 am

My personal fridge?

Few 500ml bottles of Theakston's Old Peculier
A 500ml bottle of Weston's extra strong cider
2litre bottle of cheap orangeade

That's about it.

wsmac
Veteran