Anyone have info on the ASDS test

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

gili
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jan 2007, 10:23 pm

I need to know if anyone knows much about this test. I am interested if anyone has heard of someone showing AS on this scale and then being told they are to smart so the results don't matter.

I'm an angry mom right now. :evil:

Got the dx yesterday and we were told no matter how that DD scored in the AS range on this test all other testing showed her to smart so they can't give her a dx. (ASDS scale range of 110 indicates AS and her score range was 128)

So the actual dx says high scocial aniexty, impulsive, extreme sensory issues, and a high IQ.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 12:00 am

All I can say is...bullcra*! ASDS is the Asperger Syndrome Diagnostic Scale.

IQ...some score very high...some score lower...everyone's different.

Get a second opinion from someone who has dealt with asperger's and knows what they're talking about...sorry...but these people really don't seem to have a clue.

Pippen
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2007, 12:01 am

One of the co-authors of that instrument did a thorough consult/evaluation on my son. His score on the ASDS landed him right where I would have put him. This is a newer instrument and is said to have high reliability. The developer also said NEVER look at just one indicator such as a test score when making a diagnosis.

myeyesseekreality
Raven
Raven

07 Jan 2007, 1:02 am

You have got to be kidding me. So you can't be AS with a high I.Q. Obviosly they have no I.Q, or they have no clue what so ever when it comes to AS. I have AS, and I have an extremely high I.Q. up well over 150. Does your kid stim, if she does I wonder how they explain away your kids stims? What ignorant fools.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 2:07 am

A physiologist is using this test?

Think anything with (IQ), is totaly stupid anyway, the IQ test's are flawed....

How well did I do? What does my score mean?

Intelligence Interval / Cognitive Designation

40 - 54 Severely challenged (Less than 1% of test takers)
55 - 69 Challenged (2.3% of test takers)
70 - 84 Below average
85 - 114 Average (68% of test takers)
115 - 129 Above average
130 - 144 Gifted (2.3% of test takers)
145 - 159 Genius (Less than 1% of test takers)
160 - 175 Extraordinary genius

/*
ASDS: Asperger Syndrome Disgnostic Scale
Brenda Smith Myles, Stacey Jones Bock, and Richard L. Simpson

This scale consists of several subscales including: Language, Social, Maladaptive, Cognitive, Sensory Motor, and Key Questions. This scale is for use by professionals. It is a new scale, so please consider recommending it to professionals who work with your children.Dr. Myles is the co-author of Asperger Syndrome: A Guide For Educators and Parents, Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage and Meltdowns, Asperger Syndrome and Sensory Issues: Practical Solutions for Making Sense of the World.
*/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenda_Smith_Myles

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

/*
The questions cover five different domains associated with the autism spectrum: social skills; communication skills; imagination; attention to detail; and attention switching/tolerance of change.
*/

Eighty percent of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scored 32 or higher.

With scores of 26 or lower indicating that a diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome can effectively be ruled out.

Agree: 2,4,5,7,12,13,16,20,21,22,23,26,33,39,41,43,45,46: 1 point
Disagree: 1,8,10,11,14,15,17,25,27,28,29,31,34,36,38,44,47,48,49,50: 1 point
Score: 38

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Baron-Cohen

Psychologist Simon Baron-Cohen and his colleagues at Cambridge's Autism Research Centre

gili
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jan 2007, 11:12 am

myeyesseekreality wrote:
Does your kid stim, if she does I wonder how they explain away your kids stims? What ignorant fools.

Yes she stims, has meltdowns, everything else that goes with it. Sensory issues are extreme and he thinks she should share a college dorm. I can gaurantee that would not work for long. We didn't even get a copy of the reports so I am going to get that tomarrow whether they like it or not. :twisted:

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 12:15 pm

My mom lives next door to a teacher who when attending a discussion concerning students with asperger's at her local school...was told that asperger's normally equals severe learning disabilities and low IQ standards...the lack of education out there is unreal.

Needless to say I printed her a booklet... :wink:

Good luck and hope you get some results soon...this has to be stressful for both you and your daughter.

I have some sensory issues too, some have gotten better, some worse with age...I could've just seen me trying to share a college dorm back at that age. :roll:

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2007, 3:52 pm

gili wrote:
Sensory issues are extreme and he thinks she should share a college dorm. I can gaurantee that would not work for long.

You're right. Stop it before it starts! I had a roommate last fall, the first semester of my freshman year. Disaster. Utter disaster. I hadn't been diagnosed with Asperger's then, though, so I didn't know how bad it would be. I'm still friends with my ex-roommate, but I cannot live with a person. It got so bad that I thought I might have to take a semester off. And then I got my own room. Things picked up from then on out... ;) Just get documentation for her to have her own room. I'll never have to have a roommate again. Thank God for that...
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?