Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

mdmom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Nov 2013, 9:43 pm

Hello all, this poll is to check how many people have been really helped by anxiety medicine. My son is anxious all the time these days (and stressed) and my husband wants to consider medicines. I am not yet convinced if it will be helpful or put us on another roller coaster

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 10:22 pm

mdmom wrote:
Hello all, this poll is to check how many people have been really helped by anxiety medicine. My son is anxious all the time these days (and stressed) and my husband wants to consider medicines. I am not yet convinced if it will be helpful or put us on another roller coaster

I wouldn't bother with the meds. Ask your doctor about natural remedies like chamomile tea, which is a helluva lot cheaper than benzos.

Wags
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2013, 12:31 am

I'm on Lexapro, it has helped my anxiety a lot. It also helped my sensory overloads A TON. I'm going to slowly get off it eventually.

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2013, 12:32 am

mdmom wrote:

I know someone who has had anxiety greatly lifted by being on Seroquel. It isn't primarily an anxiety med. but this person reported it was the only thing that had *ever* helped after trying all kinds of other things.

mdmom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2013, 7:05 am

thanks to all of you for taking time ! really appreciate it. We are trying herbal supplements and they have helped but he is still very agitated at times - thanks again and best to you all

ChrisP
Toucan
Toucan

24 Nov 2013, 9:28 am

Clomipramine for me: one a day makes me better, two or more make me worse. Any doctor needs to understand that balance, rather than quantity, makes the difference!

Loulamai
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Dec 2013, 6:33 am

We started on proxan but can't get it anymore, so now he's on 5-hydroxytryptophan

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2013, 10:06 am

Duplicate Post, delete me

Last edited by b_edward on 02 Dec 2013, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 12:44 pm

I was on Buspar and it worked. It helped me be more calm and relaxed and be less anxious.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 12:53 pm

Sertraline (Zoloft) has worked fairly well. I had good results with Tulsa(holy basil) if you're looking at natural supplements.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 3:17 pm

I've had good luck with chamomile and mirtazepine (older antidepressant). That worked REALLY well-- for the short time I took it, NOTHING rattled my cage. It wasn't quite flattening of affect (which it's notorious for) or anyway if it was it wasn't bothersome (actually, after months and months and months of rage, depression, crippling anxiety, and having it all locked inside by a nightmare experience with antipsychotics, it was NICE).

I had a less dramatic effect (at least, in my opinion) with fluoxetine. Other than slight flattening of affect and *ahem* sexual side effects, it didn't bother me. I'm actually seriously thinking about getting back on it-- my anxiety isn't just bothering me, it's upsetting my husband.

I'd probably be as willing to look at benzodiazepines as the older antidepressants. Nasty side effects there-- the benzos might actually be less worse.

Whatever-- If you are going to medicate anxiety, don't treat medication as a total solution. Assuming mental funciton in the normal range anyway, use it for a crutch to mitigate the anxiety until the child can be taught to think his way over, under, around, or through it.

And no, "crutch" isn't a pejorative term. Antidepressants and antianxiety meds are supposed to be crutches. There is NOTHING WRONG with walking with a crutch when you've got a broken leg. Well-- SAME DAMN DIFFERENCE.

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2013, 3:20 pm

Quote:
And no, "crutch" isn't a pejorative term. Antidepressants and antianxiety meds are supposed to be crutches. There is NOTHING WRONG with walking with a crutch when you've got a broken leg. Well-- SAME DAMN DIFFERENCE.

Well put.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2013, 8:23 pm

I would put my son on anti-anxiety medication only as an absolute last resort

larteaga
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2013, 8:36 am

I agree natural meds and mindful meditation is best, however, if you decide to give him meds it should be done with a psychiatrist NEVER with your regular doctor. It's Russian Roulette with them.

As an aspie female I have suffered with anxiety my whole life. I can still remember shaking uncontrollably when I was five the nite before school.

This is what has worked:

I'm on Paxil Cr 25, and when I'm doing really bad I take a LIBRAX it works on your limbic system which asperger's have impaired. It's even safe for babies. He could take it when he's really bad.

A nightly bath , low lites at night and a low keyed show not too funny or too much action. I watch old British comedies or British detective. I even have watch "Little Bear" to relax it's a slow cartoon.

Piece of cantaloupe immediately works as greek yogurt with strawberries.
Stay away from anything diet or caffeine. Too much sugar is also bad.

Hope this helps.