Seeking participants (mothers and fathers) for a study!

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

andrewacu
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jun 2014, 11:37 pm

Hi everyone,

We would like to introduce ourselves as Andrew Steer, Chooi Leng Chan and Rebecca Ferrarotto, Master of Psychology Students from Australian Catholic University.

Under the supervision of Dr David Hamilton and Associate Professor Cecelia Winkelman, we are conducting a research project looking at different aspects of parenting a school-aged child (aged 6-15 years) with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (inc. Aspergers Syndrome and PDD NOS). In particular, we are interested in looking at parental well-being, social support, parent coping and child behaviour.

We are looking for mothers and fathers of children with an ASD to complete a 35-40 minute survey.

Participants in this research will be eligible to enter a draw to win one of three Amazon vouchers (1st prize, $200, 2nd Prize, $50 and 3rd prize, $20).

If you would like to participate, please copy and paste the following link into your browser.

https://acu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_5o6J62CnlWO6Jgx

Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to reply to this post or contact supervisor, Dr David Hamilton on: Phone +61 (03) 9953 3118 or via E-mail: [email protected]

The project has been approved by the Australian Catholic University Human Research Ethics Committee (Registration Approval Number 2013 05V).

Thank you in anticipation of your support.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2014, 9:34 am

I started but couldn't proceed because form wouldn't accept 6 or six as a valid number. This in relation to age of diagnosis and any interventions.

andrewacu
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jun 2014, 10:28 pm

Hi Marcia,

Thanks for letting me know. I'll see what I can do to make sure it works!

Andrew

andrewacu
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jun 2014, 10:51 pm

Error fixed! All good to go ahead for those interested in participating.

Andrew

Wendy_H_W
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jun 2014, 7:00 pm

Hi Andrew, Chooi, and Rebecca,

Your research study sounds very interesting for your Master's thesis. I am actually researching similar constructs for my PhD. I am in the process of recruiting participants right now. I wish I could help you with your study, but my son with AS is 22 now, so I don't meet your eligibility criteria. I am investigating parent's attachment relationship and its effect on caregiver stress and health related quality of life in parents of adolescents with ASD.

I wish you the best in your recruitment efforts and would love to read your thesis when it is completed.

seaturtlemom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2014, 10:50 am

Hi Andrew,
It will not accept a number for age at first intervention. I am trying to put age 2, and it would not accept 2 or 24 months.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 12:59 pm

Need to have a "not applicable" option for the religious/pritual questions. Some of us are atheists and putting an answer there might be misleading in some way.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 1:06 pm

The questions in relation to your child "controlling" your life are ambiguous, and difficult to answer. They are worded in such a way that they seem to imply a deliberate attempt, on the part of the child, to exert control. But then, you could also be trying to determine to what extent, if any, the parent(s) have had to make changes to accommodate the focus child.

For example, there have been times when I have had to arrange my life around my son's various appointments with professionals, go for hospital appointments etc. To that extent my life has been "controlled" by him, but I wouldn't express it like that. His having AS has meant that he has been more involved with different health professionals than the average child, but that's just life really.

Still going through it, but have to say I am struggling a bit with the way the questions are worded.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 1:12 pm

More comments.

I'm now on the page with the statements, "my child _________ is:"

There are three sections and in the first section the responses range from strongly disagree on the left to strongly agree on the right. In the other two sections these response options are reversed! I had already answered a few before I noticed this, and find it is very likely to result in responses being recorded as the opposite as intended.

Kawena
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2014, 2:47 pm

Quote:
There are three sections and in the first section the responses range from strongly disagree on the left to strongly agree on the right. In the other two sections these response options are reversed!

I filled out the survey a few days ago and noticed that, too. At, I thought it was intentional to keep the responder on his/her toes, but it didn't alternate every section.

I completed the survey as best I could, but I also found the controlling questions odd and the religion questions not applicable. I know with any survey, it won't fit every responder and surveys are hard to create well.

andrewacu
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jul 2014, 2:49 am

CWA wrote:
Need to have a "not applicable" option for the religious/pritual questions. Some of us are atheists and putting an answer there might be misleading in some way.

Thanks CWA, you make a good point. It's not something that we can change, but what you have said will help us to interpret the results more accurately.

andrewacu
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jul 2014, 2:57 am

Marcia wrote:
The questions in relation to your child "controlling" your life are ambiguous, and difficult to answer. They are worded in such a way that they seem to imply a deliberate attempt, on the part of the child, to exert control. But then, you could also be trying to determine to what extent, if any, the parent(s) have had to make changes to accommodate the focus child.

For example, there have been times when I have had to arrange my life around my son's various appointments with professionals, go for hospital appointments etc. To that extent my life has been "controlled" by him, but I wouldn't express it like that. His having AS has meant that he has been more involved with different health professionals than the average child, but that's just life really.

Still going through it, but have to say I am struggling a bit with the way the questions are worded.

Thanks for your comments Marcia. This is the problem with closed response questions - lots of information can be missed, like the distinction between feeling controlled by your child and being more involved in their life, like you mentioned. The questions are part of validated questionnaires, so we can't alter them in anyway, but we can definitely make comments in the discussion section of our reports related to their adequacy. Thanks also for your observations about the the direction of the scale points - we will take that into consideration as well.

Andrew