Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

travelplus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jul 2014, 11:30 pm

I was wondering if your child with Aspergers and you discovered a fire and you were outside and your son said "I think one of us should pull the fire alarm". Would you let your son pull the fire alarm if he is of age?

How would you coach your son while he is pulling the fire alarm to make sure he is doing it right? Sometimes the fire alarms have you break some glass. If there was no hammer would you help him keep his balance so he could kick the glass.

Some fire Alarms have you push a button in and pull the lever down how would you be sure that your son does not let go too soon before pulling the lever down and how would you be certain that he does not let go of the handle until the alarm sounds.

I wonder why some Parents would work with their kids together and pull the fire alarm so they know what to do if they are alone.

If people were standing near you how would you move them out of the way so your child can pull the fire alarm? Do you think they would notice if you were helping your kid? I mean what would they think if they saw two people pulling the handle down etc?

Thanks

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 11:44 pm

Autistic kids don't necessarily begin with it, but we learn a lot of self-preservation very early. I know I did; I wouldn't worry so much about safety systems, although I'm on the high-functioning end of the spectrum I know all the autistics I've met, regardless of impairment were quite cautious people. Of course we're discussing quite a lot more than just fires with regards to security systems, so I think it's best to teach any kids who can understand the mechanisms people build to keep them safe.

You could buy an extinguisher if your kid(s) don't listen to the chemistry but all fires of course are different; the proper response is always a matter of what's burning and the ignition source.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

travelplus

19 Jul 2014, 11:47 pm

Those are some good tips cberg however I was wondering about letting your Autistic Kid pull a fire alarm in a fire if they asked. I was wondering how you would coach them to do it. In my OP you will see where I'm getting at and how to coach them and help them to be successful.

Thanks

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 11:59 pm

Honestly, an emergency is not the time to be coaching someone on how to do something. If you're not confident your autistic child can pull the alarm without assistance, then someone else should do it. Yes, they should know what to do in a fire, but a real fire is not a good "teaching moment."

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 2:19 am

I think it would be best if you talk to them about a series of different emergency events, you need to make it fun for them and not scare them out of their wits.

Consider

1. A house / car / garden on fire
2. A car wreck
3. A person trapped in a hot car
4. A storm

Regarding a fire, if you and your child do find a fire then it could be a good learning experience for the child if you let them smash the glass on the fire alarm. But if they can not do it, then you will have to do it and show them. You number 1 task needs to be to raise the alarm followed by fighting the fire in a safe way.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2014, 8:34 am

sacrip wrote:
Honestly, an emergency is not the time to be coaching someone on how to do something. If you're not confident your autistic child can pull the alarm without assistance, then someone else should do it. Yes, they should know what to do in a fire, but a real fire is not a good "teaching moment."

This.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2014, 8:39 am

From a thread you started a couple of years back...

travelplus wrote:
I was wondering if people here Jack off to relive stress such as after being in an emergency situation. I felt like jacking off after I pulled a fire alarm in a fire so after the emergency when I went home I went to my room and Jacked off as it made me feel better. I guess this is normal. I had an erection when I pulled the fire alarm since I had to kick the glass so I guess its normal to have an erection in an emergency.

:? 8O