Executive Dysfunction in autism spectrum people

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 10:39 am

I've been doing "parental" type research on Executive Functioning for months, but only today I have I seen the term, and used it in researching in the internet, Executive Dysfunction.

This is our whole problem with both of our sons. They are both relatively fine socially (especially the 21 year old -- he's really doing great that way). But the older boy just came home for the first time in two years (after serving a two year mission for our church), and I was amazed to watch his lack of ability to plan, pack to go back to college, to initiate activity, etc. It wasn't ALL that different from our 11 year old, who is having LOTS of problems with this issue. This has to have a huge impact on their growth and development, on their schoolwork, and on their ability to get a job and keep that job.

There actually is some research out there. Not enough, but there's some.

Are any of you familiar with this? Have you heard from supposed "experts" about what to do about this?

Kris

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 10:49 am

Hi,

Talk about synchronicity! I just started a thread on this in another forum after researching it yesterday!

No expert advice I am afraid, but your sons are lucky they have parents who are interested & doing the research. Mine were/are totally in denial there is anything wrong with me, i.e. they think it is "won't" not "can't".

They just seem to think I can "decide" to become organised whenever I choose to.
(I wish!)

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 10:49 am

Executive dysfunction is the hallmark of both autism and ADD/ADHD. For planning difficulties, it's recommended to actually schedule activities in writing. If the older son can train himself to use a schedule planner, get him like a Franklin Planner so that he can expand on his schedule into goals.
Personally, I tried using a schedule planner in college (without knowing anything about executive dysfunction) and couldn't do it. I'd write things down and forget to refer to the calendar. (doh!) Now I stick to single page lists that I leave around the house.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 10:55 am

I'm not quite sure what you have been reading up on, and whether this will be helpful, but executive functions have been in my "field of interest" too!! Problems with executive functions are central to ASD, and also ADHD/ADD. My ASD/ADD son have great difficulties with planning, impulse control ect., and I see a lot of the same planning problems in other family members.
As far as I know, this part of the brain is slow to mature, so there can be a lot of positive developement.
Have you looked into "adult ADHD", there are a lot of great strategies for planning, following plans through, ect.

thadius
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Aug 2007, 11:38 am

I know all about executive dysfunction because I have it. I have some difficuties making decisions, plans and organizing. This has nothing to do with problems solving abilities which I have in abundance. What's funny is that some Aspies vehemently deny that it is a part of AS. Here are some websites with tips on dealing with this.

http://thiswayoflife.org/ef.html
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kskkight/EFD.htm

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 12:32 pm

I know Tony Attwood talks about it in his books

"Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone you meet is
fighting some kind of battle".

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 1:46 pm

These are great replies -- thanks to all!

Thadius -- I'm especially grateful for those two links. I've bookmarked them for future reference. Thank you very much!

I'm intrigued that the Executive Dysfunction problems that both of my boys have don't seem to involve impulse control. But everything else sure fits.

One of my questions is that it is recommended for people with this problem to use PDA's. That seems like a sensible option, except for the fact that wouldn't someone with this problem also have potential to lose their PDA?

Just a thought . . .

Kris

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 2:30 pm

I have issues with executive dysfunction likely stemming from having AS and ADHD too. It's been a challenge, I've been trying to keep a daytimer and other things to help me get through the day and all.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 7:27 am

I did some research on Amazon.com, and when I typed in "executive dysfunction" I was able to find quite a few books on the subject. I've bookmarked them, and if I read them, I'll get back on WrongPlanet and let everyone know which ones were good.

I typed the same keywords into Barnes and Noble's website, and received info about books about executives. In the business world. I won't be dealing with Barnes and Noble's, obviously . . .

Kris

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 4:01 pm

A link that will take you to more links:
http://www.neurodiversity.com/executive_function.html
They've a ton of stuff & it's easily searchable (though dead links aren't often culled). Have found lotsa' nifty stuff there.
In school I had no problem scheduling because I naturally "took to" writing every assignment & class in a notebook which I never lost. Was so afraid of getting in trouble (failing academically and/or being yelled at by teachers) that I was extremely motivated to obey/succeed-and I didn't feel like I had a dizzying array of choices available (which was simpler, though constrictive).
IRL, as an adult in the world, things are harder-because the future is long-term, not just a series of limited homework tasks. Use several methods simultaneously to keep track of what needs listing. Engagement calendar, a dry-erase wipeboard which I re-do more than once a week, post-it notes placed where I'll see them, and so on.
Making large-scale plans & pursuing goals is beyond me, I don't feel like I have the "future brain" (as I call it) to do those things like normal people do & I still have terrible time making decisions...
Academic "work" was easy for me (as a student), but my system fell apart when faced with trying to live & work (now that I'm a grownup & people expect more from me) in society as a whole.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 9:20 am

Time perception is often poor in Aspies and ties in with executive dysfunction in that we tend to live in the "eternal now". I find writing things down helps a lot.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon