Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

27 Aug 2007, 5:31 am

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd update you on the progress of our family. This year we've had our 9 year old and 7 year old sons diagnosed with Asperger's.

UbbyUbbyUbby/Daniel has settled down a lot and is happy at school. He is going to school 4 days/week. He's now only seeing the psychologist 1/month because he's so much better. He's only had 1 meltdown in the last month! However he is behind in reading - but I figure he'll be okay - it will just take him a little longer to learn.

AussieBoy/Jimmy has finally settled down. After months of multiple meltdowns/day and lots of 'I hate life' etc he's improving. In fact last week he said, 'Today was a nice day'. Yay! He's enjoying going to SEC every day - he says it gives his brain a break from all the noise.

Jimmy had his birthday party a few weeks ago and didn't cry! He had a good time. Last year he screamed/cried a lot at his party (we now realise it was sensory overload). This year he came to me when it was getting too much and he went to his room for some time alone before. When he was ready, he came out and played.

I've started seeing the same psychologist who looks after the boys. I figured after 9 years on anti-depressants and 'just coping' it was time to get help. I've had 3 sessions that have been incredibly helpful and my energy levels have picked up a lot.

Regard
Helen

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2007, 11:38 pm

Thanks for the update!

It sounds as if things are working out for you. One day at a time! (so cliche' but true). It helps to focus on the positives when so often they are hard to see sometimes.

Hugs for you! :D

"Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone you meet is
fighting some kind of battle".

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 11:34 am

Helen,
I am so glad to hear that all is going a little better for you and your family! :D I find myself wondering how you are doing in between your posts.

Next Tuesday the new school year starts here and I am feeling some trepidation. Lord only knows what we are in for this year. I will look forward to reading more posts about your family as they give me hope for mine. :wink:

Take care,
Lauri

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

28 Aug 2007, 4:23 pm

Family life is definantly more pleasant now ... obviously we still have meltdowns etc but I feel confident in knowing how to handle them. The skills I have learned from the psychologist have been excellent!

I had to share this because it's so cute. Jimmy and Daniel have been getting along much better. The other morning Jimmy said, 'Daniel is a good brother.' Then Daniel said, 'Jimmy is a nice boy'.

They were both so excited Jimmy was jumping up and down flapping and Daniel was jumping up and down going 'Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!'

I wish we'd had a video camera ... it was so adorable!

Helen

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 10:21 pm

smelena,

since you don't have a video camera, keep a written journal. Everytime they do something like that then write it down. 20 years from now you can look back and remember it again and they might get a kick out of reading later too. I keep a book and everytime the boys say or do something really cute I write it down. Like when my oldest was 4 years old he would use the word "left" to say something was wrong and we couldn't figure out why and finally realized after questioning him so much about it, it was because "left" is the opposite of "right" so it was right or left instead of right and wrong. yes, he is that literal :)

"Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone you meet is
fighting some kind of battle".