Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

gogos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Sep 2007, 1:54 pm

My son is in the middle of being diagnosed with Aspergers..... well if he hasn't found himself a little imaginary friend - and whoa, out of all the strange little things my boy does, this one kinda threw me for a loopy...

He needed to yell out his bedroom window last night and say goodnight to his friend that is in the bushes.... He cried all afternoon because he couldn't find his friend...

Is this just a normal boy thing, or could this be Aspergers as well?

Thanks for any comments.

Christine

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 2:14 pm

That's a normal thing for little kids and has nothing to do with Aspergers. Many "normal" kids have imaginery friends when they are little.

gogos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Sep 2007, 4:50 pm

Hmm... that's odd because I have read a couple of articles about it being so... including this one

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 234AAam8EM

cynjoh's response

Nellie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2007, 5:07 pm

I believe that is very common with first born children. I was wondering if children with Aspergers did it as well. :)

TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 5:37 pm

I was investigating imaginary friends when I first discovered aspergers. I'm pretty sure that I had one when I was young. Oddly enough I'm the eldest too.

BTW, anyone ever encounter the term "strangely gifted"?

Prudence
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2007, 6:10 pm

It's normal. I remember the main imaginary friend of my childhood, Tara. She was a female satyr. Now that's unusual.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 7:21 pm

I never had friends imaginary or real :lol:
(except in grade 8)

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 8:17 pm

I never had imaginary friends, but I made up stories about people from other countries. All of my characters had cats, some of which were Siamese.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

04 Sep 2007, 8:49 pm

My 7 year son with Aspergers old is really good friends with his 'Draggy' (soft toy dragon). They have long conversations.

I have to give Draggy a bedtime kiss and cuddle every night.

Helen

BugsMom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2007, 9:39 pm

My son had an imaginary friend named Roger who lived in our floor vents. He would drop coins in the vent for Roger to keep.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 11:50 pm

gogos wrote:
My son is in the middle of being diagnosed with Aspergers..... well if he hasn't found himself a little imaginary friend - and whoa, out of all the strange little things my boy does, this one kinda threw me for a loopy...

He needed to yell out his bedroom window last night and say goodnight to his friend that is in the bushes.... He cried all afternoon because he couldn't find his friend...

Is this just a normal boy thing, or could this be Aspergers as well?

Thanks for any comments.

Christine

I had (and still, at times, do have!) an imaginary friend. You don't mention your son's age. If very young, it's common in children. You might approach it in the same way as a monster under the bed - you have a can of monster repellant handy to disperse monsters, so you can have a "special" cell phone to talk to the imaginary friend on the friend's "cell phone" for those times when the friend is unavailable. It can be something as simple as the box a deck of cards comes in, with a little cut-and-paste crafts work done to spiffy it up. Whatever works for your kid - if you can get him to talk about it, you might get a better clue as to what's going on in his head. Just let him talk, if he will. No judgment calls, just affirm what you hear him say.

If much older (say 9 or 10) it may be that he's lonely, and this is his way of compensating. The crying at that age would worry me, and might lead me to bring the child in for a thorough checkup by both physical and mental health professionals.

I am an Aspie, by the way, and the parent of one. I don't think this is a strictly Aspie situation. Hope this helps, Christine.

gogos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Sep 2007, 4:29 am

[quote="Kilroy"]I never had friends imaginary or real :lol:

OMG... toooo funny!! !! !