Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

REBA
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2007, 9:35 am

My 5 1/2 year old grandson, high-functioning autism spectrum/asperger's, has lost 4 pairs of eyeglasses in the last 9 months. At $250/pair , it is driving his parents nuts. He say he doesn't know where he left them. Any ideas for my daughter on how she can get her son to keep track of his glasses?

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Nov 2007, 9:39 am

REBA wrote:
My 5 1/2 year old grandson, high-functioning autism spectrum/asperger's, has lost 4 pairs of eyeglasses in the last 9 months. At $250/pair , it is driving his parents nuts. He say he doesn't know where he left them. Any ideas for my daughter on how she can get her son to keep track of his glasses?

well, you could put a strap on the glasses but those are really only used by librarians and grandmothers. Aside from that, you could instruct him to not take the glasses off.

REBA
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2007, 9:56 am

Hey, I'm a grandmother and I wouldn't wear a lanyard or a a strap. My daughter , of course, has told him not to take them off. But, thanks, anyway.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 10:01 am

Sounds like a matter of discipline to me. Yes, HFA kids can lose focus, but as a mom of two kids with HFA I also know they are capable of being pretty organized at times too. Maybe he just doesn't like his glasses and is intentionally "losing" them.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Nov 2007, 10:07 am

REBA wrote:
Hey, I'm a grandmother and I wouldn't wear a lanyard or a a strap. My daughter , of course, has told him not to take them off. But, thanks, anyway.

sorry, I was only basing that assumption off of my own two grandmothers.

Could she offer a reward if he doesn't lose them?

REBA
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2007, 10:49 am

Thanks. I am thinking about buying the next pair and I think the reward might help. He is at a good age for small reward like a quarter or 15 minutes more computer time.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 11:27 am

Some eyeglasses companies offer insurance of a sort. You sign up for a monthly program when you buy a pair of eyeglasses, and you pay a certain amount per month. When you lose the pair, they replace it for you for free or a very low price.

sandy_freelance
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2007, 11:39 am

Hi,
My daughter also loses her glasses a lot. I started just buying extra pairs of glasses from zenni optical online, at <$20 pair (or use a different discount outlet), and stopped worrying about her losing them all the time. Probably a bad solution but it gives me time to hope she builds up 'not losing things' habits.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 12:36 pm

got my daughter's glasses at walmart~ $80....could have gotten a warranty on them for broken, missing, scratched glasses.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 12:46 pm

I was about 12 when I got my first pair of glasses. the optician instructed me to have only one or two places where I put them when I take them off, my nightstand and my locker, for example. I've never lost a pair of glasses.

Today my vision is so bad that I must be very conciecious about where I put them down because without them I can't see well enough to find them.

- Emerson

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2007, 3:17 pm

My 9 y/o DD got her 1st pair last summer. We were afraid she'd lose them too. She's been remarkably responsible with them.

If we did have a problem, we decided beforehand that we would have her "check out" her glasses with us. We would keep ehr case in our bedroom and she would get them from us in the morning and give them back to us at bedtime. We already do this with electronic things of hers because she loses things so easily. We keep her MP3 player, her Nintendo handheld and games, and her CDs. We have a cupboard where we keep it all ahd she "checks it out" from us- keeping a log of what's out. She's only allowed one thing at a time- one CD, one game plus system, etc.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 4:01 pm

Also, my daughter will correct her own behaviors based on a sticker chart we use. When she fills it, she gets a prize. We use it for difficulties until she overcomes them, and also for her daily chores (make bed, pick up toys when finished playing). It doesn't work for all kids, but it works like magic for us. As adults, we do things for incentives. We work for our paychecks so we can have a home and nice things, etc. Similarly, children need to see a reason to do things. If kiddo hates the glasses, other incentives might be helpful.

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2007, 6:15 pm

The lost glasses scenario sounds just like our house! Our 7 year-old (high functioning AS) has lost 2-3 pairs in the last year, and then there are the "lost" pairs that get found just hours before heading back to get a new pair!
My latest tactic is to have three glasses cases - one in his desk at school, one in his school bag, and one at home. The rule now is, "On your FACE, or in your CASE!" . . . which kind of seems to be working unless he gets totally engrossed in something in the playground and decides to stuff them in his sandals to save a trip back to the class room (aargh!). The last time we had to get a new pair, I told him that that was 80 McDonalds happy meals down the drain, so he seems to be starting to get the picture.

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 6:24 pm

How long has he worn them for? Given the age, did he start school 9 months ago?
Is it possible they are being taken rather than lost?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 3:30 pm

$250 sounds like quite a lot for a pair of glasses. Especially for children. I would suggest just getting the cheapest glasses at Walmart. A 5 year old is going to lose things.