Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 3:15 pm

My son (HFA) does this sound, from morning to night, where he makes a little motorboat noise (humming through his lips, like you'd blow bubbles in the water). It's usually the first sound I hear in the morning from his room (although today, much to my intense happiness, it was "MAMA! MAMA!"). Is this motorboat thing a stim?

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 4:42 pm

Possibly. ( lol that didn't help much) He could also be exercising his vocal cords, tongue and mouth. Yay.
My 4 year old nephew (NT highly vocal very advanced) does this noise to, I have noticed he does it prior to speaking, almost like it is his thinking noise. If that makes any sense. :? :D

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 6:12 pm

My son used to do something similiar and it turned out he has a mild form of tourettes. It turned out being a vocal tic. He's 9 now and it stopped once he was put on a really low dose of medicine for his anxiety this year.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 7:03 pm

siuan wrote:
My son (HFA) does this sound, from morning to night, where he makes a little motorboat noise (humming through his lips, like you'd blow bubbles in the water). It's usually the first sound I hear in the morning from his room (although today, much to my intense happiness, it was "MAMA! MAMA!"). Is this motorboat thing a stim?

I do that, still. Did it when I was his age and do it now ( 58 on Tuesday). I love the feeling it makes around my lips and mouth, like when your leg falls asleep under you and you are getting the nerves flashing when the blood rushes back in. pummmmmmmmmmruddenrudden ruddennnnnn

is that a stim?

Merle

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 11:11 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
siuan wrote:

I do that, still. Did it when I was his age and do it now ( 58 on Tuesday). I love the feeling it makes around my lips and mouth, like when your leg falls asleep under you and you are getting the nerves flashing when the blood rushes back in. pummmmmmmmmmruddenrudden ruddennnnnn

is that a stim?

Merle

Happy Birthday to you :D

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 11:24 pm

siuan wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
siuan wrote:

is that a stim?

Merle

Happy Birthday to you :D

Thank you,
I have often pondered the wisdom and wit of your avatar. Sometimes I see one meaning in it and sometimes it is another meaning, altogether.

Merle

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 12:58 am

siuan wrote:
Could be, but little kids often make noises such as this.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 1:57 pm

sinsboldly: my signature explains it, sort of. When I found the snowman, contemplating the snowball, it just felt like me.

pandora: I agree, but he does it constantly though.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 9:12 pm

I mean, he could make fire engine noises all day.

He'll probably grow out of it, or it'll get replaced by something else. Those noises usually are.

It might be driving you nuts, but it's making him comfortable....or maybe very uncomfortable, he might have tried to stop on his own.

No real advice, as long as he's just making noise, it's probably relieving some other inner tension.

BTDT

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 1:59 am

beentheredonethat wrote:
I mean, he could make fire engine noises all day.

LOL!! !! Good point!

collywobble
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Nov 2007, 5:44 am

Our son makes similar noises. He wakes thinking about machines, and makes noises of machines. It is clearly a very intense experience! He's enjoying himself, and it's not doing any harm so I let him get on with it. Sometimes you can't distract him because he really IS a machine! :)

He is doing it less as he gets older. When he was smaller he used to hum a lot, but that was a comfort thing to drown out noise or any distractions.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 12:40 pm

my daughter makes sounds all the time.....she has at least figured out how to make them in a quiet voice~ still doesn't stop the kids who sit next to her in class from being annoyed at the noises...some kids have asked to be seated away from her because the noises are too distracting......... she doesn't really seem fully conscious that's she even making noise.

collywobble

19 Nov 2007, 1:15 pm

Our son was not aware that he was making noises. Over the summer holidays I tried an experiment to see if he knew he was making the noises. I copied him every time he made a noise. He started giving me funny looks every time I did it. Then he asked me why I was making funny noises! I explained that I was just copying him. I think the penny dropped and he realised that he did in fact make those noises. He now makes noises less than he did before because he is more aware of himself doing it, and tries to stop.

You will all probably say I'm mean for copying him, but I think it served a purpose.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 2:49 pm

i had actually wondered how much daughter was aware of her noises too, and so began quietly echoing her.........she got quite annoyed and wanted to know why i was copying her~ i said i found the noises fascinating & wanted to try to copy them ( they are truly intriguing noises...sort of bee bop be bo dee dee). she still remained annoyed, and so i don't do that anymore...would really like to know where they came from though. daughter won't talk about the noises, though~and i don't push

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 4:23 pm

Interesting. I wonder if he consciously is aware of it.

Scramjet
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Nov 2007, 7:34 pm

In my pre-school years I had a similar fad with making all sorts of little noises, to the point where my parents would sometimes complaint about it. Later, I had this habit of making a faint "throat-clearing" noise repetitively -- I'd go faintly "hnk... hnk... hnk... ". My parents thought it sounded a bit like a bear for some reason, so for about a kazillion times they interrupted my "hnk'ing" with a "Bears are extinct in Denmark, ya' know...". After some time I "got the point", and managed to suppress it, and it hasn't recurred in the quarter of a century since then...

I was diagnosed as what the shrink called "a classic aspie", and if the story of my upbringing is anything to "go by", parents of such classic aspies should prepare to "sound like a broken record" quite a lot. And I'd like to add: Just deliver the message calm an quietly every time it's needed -- never throw a hissy fit over it, regardless of how many times you've said the same thing and how tiresome that is.