how about a little variety, Alex!

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 7:58 pm

We are such a self-indulgent society.

I enjoy this forum and it helps to read others insights and share experiences.

What annoys me more than anything are the quotes and images people have decided to include to represent their personal beliefs. Some, frankly, are a bit over the top (images especially). I don't want to look at someone's nude parts or some frightening face. The quotes are cutish but a bit cliche and self-indulgent and everytime I read a post, my eyes are immediately drawn to the quote. I read it repeatedly, forgetting that it's not part of the post. It sticks out like a sore thumb and I feel as if I'm being inadvertently brainwashed somehow. I'm tired of reading the same things, and seeing the same images. Maybe people could switch up a bit?

Anyone else tired of the same old same old?

equinn

alei
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2007, 8:15 pm

Mines not scary at all.

I'm on a few other sites as well and the range of avatars is about the same everywhere I go. A lot of people choose things that represent who they are, and it also makes it easier to scan for specific posts if someone has a unique avatar.

I like them. Just my .02.

My artistic side: aleigirl.deviantart.com

My ramblings and insights on being an adult with Asperger's: http://alei-cat.blogspot.com/

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 8:56 pm

I've never seen any offensive avatars here.
People express themselves through a signature.
Should the moderators censor signatures, or why are you blaming Alex? Please clarify.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 9:02 pm

You are getting sleepy... sleeeeepyyyy...

When I snap my fingers, you will awaken, and immediately read the entire life's work of Jhonen Vasquez...

SNAP!

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

20 Nov 2007, 9:24 pm

equinn wrote:

What annoys me more than anything are the quotes and images people have decided to include to represent their personal beliefs. Some, frankly, are a bit over the top (images especially). I don't want to look at someone's nude parts or some frightening face. The quotes are cutish but a bit cliche and self-indulgent and everytime I read a post, my eyes are immediately drawn to the quote. I read it repeatedly, forgetting that it's not part of the post. It sticks out like a sore thumb and I feel as if I'm being inadvertently brainwashed somehow. I'm tired of reading the same things, and seeing the same images. Maybe people could switch up a bit?

equinn

Wow. What forum is that happening? It sounds alot like predatory behavior!

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 10:47 pm

equinn wrote:

equinn

What avatars do you consider frightening or offensive?

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

20 Nov 2007, 11:14 pm

Silver_Meteor wrote:
equinn wrote:

equinn

What avatars do you consider frightening or offensive?

What forum is this happening? In case they are predators, and have a chance to cut and run.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 12:13 am

equinn wrote:
Maybe people could switch up a bit?

This is just my opinion...

I don't like change. And it's easier for me to remember people's avatars than their names.

And I personally wish that I knew more about the people whose opinions (etc) I'm reading, by their signature as I've done with mine. I picked up the idea from a CF forum that I read.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 6:25 am

I like my avatars, thank you, very much. Sid is my identity. You don't tell somebody on the Spectrum to hide their identity. That would be a recipe for a meltdown.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 6:26 am

And I like my signature and I'm sure others like theirs.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 10:34 am

equinn wrote:

equinn

Perhaps you might want to work on whatever the problem is that you seem to have in your focusing, rather than expecting the world to change to suit you? It's much more likely that you'll have an outcome that works for you, that way.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 11:05 am

Perhaps you might want to work on whatever the problem is that you seem to have in your focusing, rather than expecting the world to change to suit you? It's much more likely that you'll have an outcome that works for you, that way.[/quote]

Perhaps. It is curious, though, that people insist upon being recognized in some fashion--isn't it?

What the heck is an avator? I don't know what any of you are referring to.

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

21 Nov 2007, 11:34 am

equinn wrote:
Perhaps you might want to work on whatever the problem is that you seem to have in your focusing, rather than expecting the world to change to suit you? It's much more likely that you'll have an outcome that works for you, that way.

equinn wrote:
Perhaps. It is curious, though, that people insist upon being recognized in some fashion--isn't it?

It sounds like they are trying to invalidate the perception of what you presented. Perhaps shuddering about the implication for your truth in the annoyance with showing their nudity? Like I said, it sounds like predatory behavior to desensitize. What forum is that happening?

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 12:18 pm

LadyBug wrote:
equinn wrote:

equinn wrote:

It sounds like they are trying to invalidate the perception of what you presented. Perhaps shuddering about the implication for your truth in the annoyance with showing their nudity? Like I said, it sounds like predatory behavior to desensitize. What forum is that happening?

No, I meant exactly what I said. I imply nothing. (You sound a bit like a NT, Ladybug.) If Equinn has problems with being drawn to an avatar or to someone's sig every time she goes to a forum and is uncomfortable as a result, she appears to have a focus problem. "I read it repeatedly, forgetting that it's not part of the post."

The world is not going to change to suit her preferences, so if she's got hopes of ever being comfortable in it she's going to have to adapt to it.

To expect the world to change to fit one's preferences is the ultimate in self-indulgence, by the way. :wink:

It would appear that people dress their messages here in much the same way that people might select a wardrobe, hairstyle, makeup, neighborhood, or model of vehicle to drive (etc.). It appears to be to project a message about themselves. As that seems to be an intrinsic part of human behavior, it's only logical that it would appear in a virtual world populated by humans.

In my case, my avatar reflects my interest in a specific period in history. People who can identify it are likely to strike up a conversation, which is the purpose of my being on this board. (I also think it's a pretty work of art.) My sig is of a story I thought was particularly well done, as it's from the era prior to computer graphics. I appreciate the artistry and amount of work it took to produce it, and think the story is memorable. I like to share fine things, when I come across them. Hence, I've added it there.

As far as the entire society being self-indulgent, which one are you referencing? We've got people on this board from all over the world, from many societies. The only commonality is that we're Aspies or Auties, and just recently there are neurotypicals with an interest in us on the board as well.

I haven't seen any nudity on this board. If it's there, report it to Alex or a moderator. I believe it's a violation of TOS.

Google and wikipedia are excellent resources for researching terms with which you are unfamiliar.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 7:48 pm

equinn wrote:

One's avatar is the image which a person has chosen to accompany his or her posts; for example, my Northern River Otter.

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2007, 11:18 am

Nan wrote:
LadyBug wrote:
equinn wrote:

equinn wrote:

No, I meant exactly what I said. I imply nothing. (You sound a bit like a NT, Ladybug.) If Equinn has problems with being drawn to an avatar or to someone's sig every time she goes to a forum and is uncomfortable as a result, she appears to have a focus problem. "I read it repeatedly, forgetting that it's not part of the post."

The world is not going to change to suit her preferences, so if she's got hopes of ever being comfortable in it she's going to have to adapt to it.

To expect the world to change to fit one's preferences is the ultimate in self-indulgence, by the way. :wink:

It would appear that people dress their messages here in much the same way that people might select a wardrobe, hairstyle, makeup, neighborhood, or model of vehicle to drive (etc.). It appears to be to project a message about themselves. As that seems to be an intrinsic part of human behavior, it's only logical that it would appear in a virtual world populated by humans.

In my case, my avatar reflects my interest in a specific period in history. People who can identify it are likely to strike up a conversation, which is the purpose of my being on this board. (I also think it's a pretty work of art.) My sig is of a story I thought was particularly well done, as it's from the era prior to computer graphics. I appreciate the artistry and amount of work it took to produce it, and think the story is memorable. I like to share fine things, when I come across them. Hence, I've added it there.

As far as the entire society being self-indulgent, which one are you referencing? We've got people on this board from all over the world, from many societies. The only commonality is that we're Aspies or Auties, and just recently there are neurotypicals with an interest in us on the board as well.

I haven't seen any nudity on this board. If it's there, report it to Alex or a moderator. I believe it's a violation of TOS.

Google and wikipedia are excellent resources for researching terms with which you are unfamiliar.

Haha! Indeed, I am a Neuro-Typical human, as I bet you can be identified in that confine too. What's your point? Are you trying to now invalidate my concern, in what seems to have been expressed for having a discomfort about nudity and other activities on one of the forums? Again, what forum is that happening, because it sounds like predatory behavior?

I think you are a bit dodgy, to think that you can adequately point out with such great certainty about focus problems on the Internet, or any other kind for that matter. Again, I'd like to point out there is no such diagnostic criteria for Aspies. It appears to be a term coined to distinguish between those who might have been mis-diagnosed over the years. I'm not familiar with the origin of the term Auties and what it stands for. Are you?