Differencies between male/female AS / ADHD

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2008, 1:34 am

Me and my ex has a distinctive feeling that's there's a difference in a bit older AS and ADHD people depending on gender. Is this something anybody else noticed?

We're not sure of this in terms of being scientifical, but it's just a hunch both of us have over a bunch of kids ranging from 7-9-11 where the two youngest are male and the oldest is female.

They all three have ADHD, with the midst has Extreme ADHD and he hates it, because he has no control of his body. Only the two smallest has medication with Concerta, and melatonine for the night. My two youngest has AS as a diagnose, our daughter don't neither we, nor social services, nor medical services know where she's belonging.

Our 11y daughter, has never been medicated, she's been able to control (mostly) her limbs, and when it get's too much in class, she escapes to the toilet. Since 1:st grade, her teachers has been allowed to open the toilet door to get her out of there. Just because somebody bullyed (bullied?) somebody else. If somebody bullies her, they are in trouble, because she just starts a competition, sports only. When she was in 3rd grade, most of the boys in the 6th grade refused to be a goalie. I understand that. Because I've been hit by her balls shot at me, and they sure give a stinging feeling, in your face. Of course she loves to frag me in Quake. But we do it for fun. And it's not important who wins.

Our 9y son has a completely astonishing GPS built in that beats mine built in. I have to follow him through forest walks because elseways he would just go the shortest way home to either of us. And he's a real esthetic. He can find a rock he likes and drag it home to either of us. I have never been lost in a forest, but this kid is én éxtreme. Of course I've trained them from day 1 to be outside, but to navigate in a forest, even a normal forest, where you never been before, no map, no compass, and so on... In Quake, wheapons similar to Railgun is a sure death for his opponent. No matter how I tries to dodge, Ftschtyuuu...

And our 7y... If you never met a AS person just giving the s**t about whomever is talking to him, being teacher or principal or police but just listening to four people, his parents and his brother and sister you never seen anything like it. When I'm tired of him I simply put him in front of Quake 3 Arena online, so he can be calm. This may seem weird, but since he's been hunting with me, he understands the very difference between game and real life. Both me and my ex has had several discussions about this with various psychologists. It's just his way of learning social acceptable skills. (Well, It's no worse than Tom & Jerry or other cartoons)

Have you other with multiple kids with diagnosis noticed any difference between male/female?

I'd like to keep this topic open, because we're all parents with DX'ed kids or we're DX'ed ourselves.

If you don't want to take it public, just PM.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 6:01 am

my youngest and oldest have dxes...youngest is a girl, oldest is a boy. honestly, i have trouble with both~just different sorts of trouble.........the youngest is very talkative.non-stop talking. misinterprets others' intentions. doesn't ever slow down.
........the oldest misinterprets others' intentions. not very talkative. somewhat sedentary.

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2008, 9:27 pm

I myself has to think for a couple of seconds before I answer. So does my mid son. My youngest seems to feel a competition in talking whenever you talk to somebody and he needs urgent attention. My daughter has thanks god gone into puberty so she's a lot better on knowing when to talk or not (not that we don't want to put duct tape on her atleast once a day)

But as I wrote earlier, Concerta and Melatonine... keeps our sanity as parents.

Fun; My ex met with social services this friday. Because we have applyed for 3 hours a week employment of a "hangaround" teenager help. Just to be able to do some constructive time. The social assistant just dropped her jaw when my ex explained the amount of work we have, and we can't even separate properly because we both love our children, and tenders them so much. The social services secretary asked how much time we equaly spend on our children, and my ex couldn't help saying "we're two, and you triple that".