Hi clever people.....is there a medical term for this?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

lovelyboy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Sep 2011, 7:13 am

Last night my son said a very interesting thing....I don't know if this has ANYTHING to do with AS or is this just an innocent 8 yr old talking?

My son saw his dad using 2 hands together, wiping the top of the table, but, rubbing it hard, doing all kinds of movements (he messed super glue on the marble and was trying to get it of! :x )

My son remarked that it feels like watching a movie! :?
I tried to get more info from him...he said that he can't explain it but it "looked like his dads hands were dancing, like watching a movie?"

Has any of you had experience with this? Is there maybe a fancy medical term for this or is this just normal kiddo talk?

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 10:41 am

Stereoscopically view.

Means that the eyes are focused on a point behind the actual picture. Works with a 3dimensional picture before a 2dimensional background. Like the Magic Eye pictures from the 90's.

Has nothing to do with AS but often occurs when the eyes are overworked, e.g., after hours and hours of reading.

lovelyboy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Sep 2011, 2:05 am

Thanx....this is VERY interesting!

postcards57
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2011, 9:16 am

Neat... I don't know if this is the same thing at all, but when I was a child I used to feel like I watching myself in a movie. I would even have a third-person narration running through my head. I wouldn't actually see my imaginary friends in the movie, but the narration would refer to them. I wonder if that kind of distancing is common to the autistic imagination; I know it happens to victims of trauma.

I've now evolved into first-person narrations, like letters to my closest friends. I'm a writer, so this is actually helpful to me. :-)

J.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 1:16 pm

postcards57 wrote:
Neat... I don't know if this is the same thing at all, but when I was a child I used to feel like I watching myself in a movie. I would even have a third-person narration running through my head. I wouldn't actually see my imaginary friends in the movie, but the narration would refer to them. I wonder if that kind of distancing is common to the autistic imagination; I know it happens to victims of trauma.

I've now evolved into first-person narrations, like letters to my closest friends. I'm a writer, so this is actually helpful to me. :-)

J.

I would do that as well. Autistic people are often victims of trauma.

lovelyboy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Sep 2011, 1:20 am

I know in psychiatry they also sometimes talk about depersonalization....I was worried about this, but this is something different, where the person feels ass if he is outside his body watching himself from a distance......this is almost like becoming psychotic, but I asked the psychiatrist about this last visit and she said this is very normal in kids and comon in teens up till 18 yr old!