Do do see yr'self as a part of the whole

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

criss
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 3:03 am

I am doing research due to my book, 'the journey of a soul with asperger's syndrome' which comes out in January next year.

As part of the re-drafting process I am exploring as to why some aspies feel they are on the WRONG planet, whilst some (it seems very few here) do not like the WRONG in wrong planet because they do not feel wrong being aspie in the world.

I started a thread on the more general theme of the right or WRONG debate see below

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1485991 ... t=#1485991

HOWEVER..

What I am interested in is weather the vast number of aspies who reject the WRONGness of WRONG-planet do so because of a sense of spirituality and possibly see their difficulties and struggles as part of the general human condition which in turn has a unifying factor.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

In gratitude

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jun 2008, 4:08 am

Have recently begun to see self as part of whole but does not mean there is no "wrong".

Wrong and right both part of whole! :D

( ie: eastern rather than western spiritual tradition )

8)

criss
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 6:15 am

I find that interesting, thank you.

I was contemplating at great depth the other day how many of the mystics in all traditions in the past, felt the world to be a rotten place, and somehow there was something spiritual about renouncing it, and proclaiming their difference.

Subsequently, it got me thinking about the possibility of a connection with aspies and their feeling of alienation from the world. What interests me greatly is how we can as individuals, help ourselves and thus each other in being less isolated and thus more truly and deeply ourselves.

I was interested to hear you mention eastern practice.

Modern day contemplatives seem to see no disparity with this world and what they believe to be the next.

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:58 am

Am I on the wrong planet, you ask? Yes, but my homeworld was destroyed long before I was ever born. So I'm stranded here on Earth. I'm too old to live anywhere else in the universe now. Plus, I never did find my spaceship ... :scratch:

criss
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 10:34 am

I am starting to see that such comments are a bit of non-literal tomfoolery. an aspie fun and games kinda thing.

I guess I was taking many members here too literally. That or being too serious for my own good.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 11:25 am

I am really interested in the ideas of non self from the buddhist philosophy and how lots of studies on collective consiousness seem to support it (studies on blue tits and monkeys learning thigs accross the country at once). This is also a phenomena of scientific history with people often making the same discovery accross the world from each other.

I think people would think more carefully about not helping others and seeing them as other and with repugnance if they understood that they were part of them and their hurt effected them also. I especially think this has relevance for how successful people treat homeless people badly.

I like what Thich Naht Hanh says "I am a wave on the crest of the ocean, the wave does not die it returns to the sea" I think that idea of us all being waves on a big connecting ocean is great, we are all organs of the earth - all joined together.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 12:08 pm

How beautiful

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 12:24 pm

Quote:
I was contemplating at great depth the other day how many of the mystics in all traditions in the past, felt the world to be a rotten place, and somehow there was something spiritual about renouncing it, and proclaiming their difference.

I don't think the mystical tradition rejects the world as rotten, just as illusory and addictive, in that we get so caught up in the material world we forget that we're something more than merely physical. The motivation for renouncing it is an attempt to consciously separate one's actual self from the role one is playing within the game

lotusblossom wrote:

I like what Thich Naht Hanh says "I am a wave on the crest of the ocean, the wave does not die it returns to the sea" I think that idea of us all being waves on a big connecting ocean is great, we are all organs of the earth - all joined together.

Beautiful analogy. I'd take it a step furthur: we are all droplets cast up from the waves of the ocean. The span of our lives, the moment that our individual droplet hangs suspended in the air. Our separation from the whole a brief illusion.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 5:07 pm

Lotusblossom, would you like to tell me more about ideas of non-self. I find this very interesting indeed, especially as us aspies are supposed to be self-centered?

Willard. Could you tell me what tradition you draw from, when you say that the mystical traditions of the past do not reject the world. my study of the saints and mystics in many of the traditions leads to the opposite conclusion. Or would I be right in saying this is your personal opinion?

chris

Last edited by criss on 06 Jun 2008, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 5:09 pm

criss wrote:
Do do see yr'self as a part of the whole?

I see myself as part of the whole donut, as well as the donut hole.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 5:11 pm

wonderfull!