Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nicurn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Dec 2007, 7:18 pm

The school psychologist (who has yet to actually meet my son) is suggesting that he may have OCD on top of his AS. When we met for our first appointment she was using her fingers to put quotes around the diagnosis of AS, but after reading the neurologist report and teacher's input she is convinced of that diagnosis and OCD as well.

To me, all of E's behaviors fit AS, not OCD. Do the two often go hand-in-hand, or is it more a case of related symptoms?

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 7:36 pm

Asperger Syndrome is often accompanied by other disorders: the charmingly-named "comorbid conditions." :) Obsessive-compulsive disorder is one such; depression, bipolar disorder etc. are also common. OCD can be controlled with medication, but Asperger Syndrome, per se, cannot.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 7:38 pm

I'm boderline ocd

psychedelic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2007, 8:31 pm

I might have ADHD. It seems I definitely have social phobia.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 11:21 am

I'm Aspergian and OCD. The two are amongst the commonest comorbid disorders. While you can try and medicate, I'd go for cognitive behavioral therapy as a first line treatment - many antipsychotics and other mind altering drugs can have unexpected effects on aspergians.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

Lainie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2007, 1:09 pm

My ASD son has OCD, My Tourette Syndrome guy also has OCD. Heck I am NT but I have OCD too! lol

Yes it can happen, but you don't have to have OCD to be on the spectrum.

What signs do you or the school physcologist see that points to OCD? My kids for example line things up, and if anyone destroys them you have hell to pay for. My oldest has to eat even things only. My youngest has anxiety issues or in class will get out of his seat, crawl on the floor and have to tap everyone's ankle (this was last yr, 1st grade)

There's other signs, like refusing to have your food touch. Refusing to eat "green or yellow" things. Etc...

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 1:18 pm

I would be very hesitant to go along with a school psychologist giving an OCD label. Your child might have obsessive tendencies, but you need to understand the way schools use these labels.

OCD = emotional disturbance. You do not want your child in an emotional disturbance "ED" program. They did that to my son and, in my opinion, spectrum children should never be placed with NT emotionally disturbed kids. Our kids might appear to be emotionally disturbed, but the root problem is different.

I'm just warning you. Do not let them put "emotional disturbance" on your kid's IEP. It will change the way they view him and the option of services.

safetchick
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Dec 2007, 10:15 pm

My child was diagnosed with OCD when she was 6. Now at 14 there has been some suggestion that she has AS and she will be going through an evaluation here within the next several months.

My child is listed as ED on her IEP which happened a year ago to gain access to the Special Day Services. I don't know if they viewed her differently, but putting her with kids that also had behavior issues proved more of a challenge. I am not disappointed with the program in High School at least for the past 4 months.

If we get an AS diagnosis that will answer a bunch of questions but give me a lot more questions too.

ANYWAY, OCD is obsessive or compulsive thoughts the interfere with school, home or social activities. Kinda hard to know without a true assessment because of similar behaviors.

Odrixs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Dec 2007, 12:32 am

What is IEP?

Lainie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2007, 2:55 am

IEP = School. Individualized Education Plan

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 11:21 am

So, I've wondered is it AS or OCD when its selective? Meaning you have it in a stable environment but its not disabling. Yet when out in the world or situations out of your control its worse? Is this just normal human behavior, AS, or OCD?

nicurn

25 Dec 2007, 1:35 pm

joku_muko, that's exactly what I was thinking. E doesn't have his behaviors constantly, and seems to me to simply be more rigid in his decision making when he's stressed rather than becoming stressed when he can't perform rigid behaviors.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 6:49 pm

Why would OCD = emotional disturbance?! If anything I would think biochemical disturbance.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 8:14 pm

Because its an anxiety disorder?

safetchick
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Dec 2007, 6:30 pm

katrine wrote:
Why would OCD = emotional disturbance?! If anything I would think biochemical disturbance.

She was listed as "other medical" but she still needed more specialized assistance so in order to receive it I had to change the IEP reason.

It sucked but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Also needed to add that OCD is worse when you are under stress. I am super new to AS so I don't feel comfortable knowing the difference of what could be OCD and what could be some of the symptoms of AS.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 8:45 am

It's definitely possible to have both together, I know I do. But a lot of times Aspies are misdiagnosed as OCD and vice versa simply because there are certain symptoms that are similar (actions inexplicable to outsiders, obsessions, etc). Don't worry about it if it is, though, I've noticed that antianxiety meds also help with some of the nervousness Aspies get in social situations.