Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

mom2bax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2008, 1:02 am

ok so here's my question, what is the best way to prep him or help him deal with being in the school christmas concert?
He was in one today and was having a hard time with it a little bit, i let him come adn sit with me a bit to explain things to him, today's was not rehearsed.
his upcoming christmas concert will be well rehearsed, adn they will have pracitves in teh are they are going to perform.
what else can i do to get him prepared for it.
he doesn't seem to hve any big sensory issues or anything but he just kind of acts up when these things come up.
suggestions?

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2008, 3:50 am

What particular part of it does he act up about? My son finds the waiting around while everyone else practices, a real drag, and starts losing it if he doesn't have something to focus on. Yours might be better practising some parts of it on his own, and skipping a few practices. I always find that bribery with a chocolate donut works wonders too, when it comes to the actual performance!! Also, since I taught my son the word "focus" and what it means, he seems to be able to focus better when you remind him that he needs to.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 6:32 am

can he have a small fidget in his pocket ?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 2:03 pm

Can this be optional for him? With my son, this turned out to be something he basically outgrew. Over the years he developed his own coping mechanisms while having the back up of us telling him he didn't HAVE to do it if it really bothered him, but that we would like him to TRY to do it.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 5:36 pm

What's his opinion on it? If he doesn't want to do it, then just opt out. Call me a scrooge but I always thought the 3 hours of various classes each doing their songs was the worst part about elementary school, and I was thankful in other grades when it was just a choir-based event, not mandatory.

mom2bax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Dec 2008, 3:00 am

i did ask him about it, nad he says she's excited.
they get to play in their classroom while they wait so it;s not too bad.
by acting up he doesn't want to put on costumes or last year he "fell" on purpose or just kind of wanders around, doing his own thing.
i will admit that the little program he was in on Tuesday morning was unrehearsed dn a bit of disorganozed chaos. so that probably was a contributing factor.
i thought as much as i want to see him up ther if it ws too much for him he coudl opt out but he wants to be a part of it so e'll see how it goes, i started talking to him today about what he'll have to wear (tea towel on his head) etc, but he seemed ok with it, i guess we'll see whaen it comes right down to it.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 2:20 pm

I think a small fidget sounds like a good idea. I wish I had more. My 7-year-old is in a school play in a couple of weeks. I think they're insane to have it at all. This things goes on for pages and pages.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 5:12 pm

Don't make him go? I still hate my mom fourteen years later for making me go to my school's Christmas play when I did not have a part. Maybe it's because she made me wear this uncomfortable wool dress and I saw all the other kids wearing casual clothes. The next time my school had a play (wasn't in that one either) I threw the announcement away so my mom would not see it and make me go. If he's worried about it don't make him go.