Where do you see gaming technology in 10-15 years?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2009, 3:13 pm

I see it going far if the world doesn't end first. 3D will become huge and by then it will start moving to virtual reality in the average home. Right now it would cost thousands of dollars but in 10-15 years it will be the norm. Maybe soon you won't even need the 3D glasses for it and the characters in the game will pop out of your monitor or TV and fill your room, putting you right into the action. Of course graphics will be photorealistic or even better than real life. You all will look out your window and say, "those graphics suck!" and go back into your game (or movie for that matter). Modern Warfare 10 will be out at that time and it will finally have the dedicated servers on the PC version. Also by then you can control the entire game with your brain waves (this will be difficult for me since I ain't got a brain). Maybe movies will even be interactive by this time. I see technology going so far that what you see today is nothing compared to 10-15 years from now. Like I said before IF the world doesn't end first and I am not talking about 2012. The world doesn't end on the date people think it will. If we are still here in 2012, that is when a lot of new gaming engines are coming out and possibly the next gen consoles. I think the CryEngine 4 will be out and Unreal Engine 4 will be out as well. Technology is what saves my life time and time again. So for that I am excited. So, what do you see in this time period?

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2009, 4:44 pm

I see them trying to peddle whatever version of Guitar Hero the world is up to by then. Including more toy instruments. I don't think technology is really going to advance very much. Particularly when considering the costs of making games with super graphics.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2009, 4:54 pm

At this rate, by then, there'll probably be a good game every two years, maybe even once a year... :x

Heck if I know what the technology will be like...so far, technology hasn't really had any great leaps since DOOM 3 came out (and even some of that stuff has been around a while, like in JP: Trespasser, in SOFTWARE mode, no less!). HDR bloom came out, and it looks awful...I can't wait until it goes to the same place as the late 1990's lense flares :x :x :x

Everything else seems to be the same stuff DOOM 3 did, but with more pixels. Parallax mapping has potential, I saw a video showing it rendered in DX11 and it didn't look half bad (or a similar effect with a different name).

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 1:30 am

They will have probably havve started running out of ideas and started do remakes of older games. Probably technology I see getting better is the modeling, possibly useing more live capture forpre done actions, and possibly seperate polygons for different things, like clothing and weapons.

X_Parasite
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 2:57 am

There are already monitors capable of displaying stereoscopic images without the need for special glasses.

No, I don't have a link.

Now, obviously, in-game graphics cannot be better than real life without interfacing directly with the brain, thus getting around the limitations of the eyes.

Oh, and HDR's not going to go away. It's a very good thing when done properly. (Oblivion looks way better with HDR turned ON.)
Rather, color depth will improve, making HDR more appreciable.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 3:01 am

I think it would more than likely be in the way of physics engines. Most of it is done by the CPU, but there are graphics cards that can take the load from the CPU. I would like to see an improvement in the way of fog. Maybe AA and AF will be the norm and pushed over to consoles even more so

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 4:40 am

Personally, I don't really care about the future of gaming technology. I am more interested in how technological developments can be used to preserve, or even enhance, consoles/systems from the past.

Even now, if you have a suitable flash device, you can use an SD card to transfer rom files from your PC to your console/home computer and vice versa (a single SD card has the storage capacity of about 12,000 5.25" floppy disks).

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 4:56 am

Losing will still be fun. :wink: Game design is usually more important for me than graphics.

The year is still young.

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2009, 2:08 pm

I probably will NOT be a gamer, then, because now, I have stopped caring about most of gaming. It's all about graphics and multiplayer. I hate the direction the gaming industry is going. It's the same old crap every year, apart from the occasional game that actually interests me, like Saints Row 2. Generic racing games, generic war shooters, generic sports games, and oh crap... another Mario game!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 2:25 pm

X_Parasite wrote:
Oh, and HDR's not going to go away. It's a very good thing when done
properly.

I thought it was kind of okay in HL2, because at least it goes away when your "eyes" adjust to it,
which is almost a tiny bit realistic...but most games just bump it up to unreasonably fake looking
levels. I don't know, maybe it's just because my eyes are really sensitive and I have to squint every
where I go, but the only time I've ever seen bloom is when I was in a really dark room, and a single
ray of the setting sun burst through the curtains and landed on my brand new, very white shoe.

Also:

werewolf1994
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2009, 12:29 am

I don't think the brain waves thing will be available by then, maybe 20 years. they've already made stuff that can sense your brainwaves, it just needs to be a lot more refined before it can be put in games, and that function would probably be optional for those who prefer the traditional button mashing

wormsto
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2009, 6:34 am

one of two ways

A) casual gaming is rampant and hardcore gaming is dead :'(
B) the wii has run out of momentum and nintendo have failed, hardcore gaming is in a new age of awesome. nintendo fail! :) :) :)

OS2301
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Nov 2009, 5:36 pm

I like what they're doing with the Project Natal system in the Xbox. But I think 15 years from now, games will be emulate real-life, they'll simulate pain, you'll have to pull the trigger of you're weighted and invisible gun. Maybe not for the public, but definitely for military training.

EC
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2009, 12:55 am

I don't know about the technology, really. However, of one thing I'm certain: In 15 years, we will have a dumbed down generation of games; this will be the legacy of the shoulder cam feature, the autoaim cheat(don't kid yourself!), and the magic health regeneration system. So the technology won't really matter when you think about how bad the gamepl---PRESS X TO AVOID SAD REALISATION!

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 9:20 am

I doubt it will get much better.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 9:41 am

Picture of possible future game (electronic world) technology.