Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 5:52 pm

I bought mine 2 years ago, with a 1 year warranty but it ran out - it won't read any disc's ! I've restored it to factory condition, all the files etc .. erased everything to factory, and still it won't read ! It's a hardware issue with the blu ray. I opened it up, cleaned the dust out .. but I'm cautious about actually opening up the disc compartment to clean the lens of the blu ray. I've exhausted all my options.. should I just do it ? Or send it in someplace for repairs .. or try to clean it first, then send it in .. if it's going to cost some exorbitant amount of cash to repair I'm going to just buy a new PS3 and curse Sony til my grave.

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 6:10 pm

See? This is why the Xbox 360 can have nicer things. I haven't experienced any real problems as far as I know.

Anyway, I'm sorry that happened to your PS3. Maybe you broke it. :?

Solid_Snake12345
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Nov 2010, 6:51 pm

Just want to point put that since you've opened it Sony won't accept it if you were planning to send it to them.

I do understand your anger though. My launch day model broke just over a year ago with the YLoD and if you don't have a slim model, I recommend going for one. They seem more reliable than the older models and the fans are quieter and, if you get a refurbished model it'll only have a six month warranty.

It's not really an issue you an pin solely on Sony however. Microsoft also have huge issues with reliability (far bigger issues) but I do agree that it's a disgrace that both consoles are so unreliable. Hopefully you get it sorted.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 11:33 pm

SonicMisaki wrote:
See? This is why the Xbox 360 can have nicer things. I haven't experienced any real problems as far as I know.

Er... I actually had 8 separate Xbox 360's fry on me while under the same 3 year store warranty (I'm not kidding, nor is that an exaggeration)... I had a rrod and multiple videocards burn out... I've had my PS3 since launch and it hasn't given out on me yet. I do live in a fairly hot place but I believe Sony is much more reliable without a doubt since I live in the same area and my ps3 still works :wink:

With the large number of fried 360's, I've mainly switched over to playing PS3 for the most part. I still have a 360... but I'm afraid to touch the thing :lol:

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 11:50 pm

Raymond_Fawkes wrote:
I bought mine 2 years ago, with a 1 year warranty but it ran out - it won't read any disc's ! I've restored it to factory condition, all the files etc .. erased everything to factory, and still it won't read ! It's a hardware issue with the blu ray. I opened it up, cleaned the dust out .. but I'm cautious about actually opening up the disc compartment to clean the lens of the blu ray. I've exhausted all my options.. should I just do it ? Or send it in someplace for repairs .. or try to clean it first, then send it in .. if it's going to cost some exorbitant amount of cash to repair I'm going to just buy a new PS3 and curse Sony til my grave.

I can definitely imagine how you must feel. As I already mentioned I had quite a few terrible encounters with the Xbox 360. My very first 360 had no warranty so I was forced to buy a new one and that's when I bought the warranty. Besides that, other than I can say I understand you're probably pissed, I do have some advice. Back up your hard drive to an external source or at least copy as many of your game saves to a USB drive as you can. It sucks having to start over, but if you have to at least you wont have to start all of your games over from scratch :wink:

I do believe the best thing would be to back up your hard drive though as some games will not let you transfer data to a USB drive or any other type of memory card like device. Backing up the hard drive saves everything including those games that can't be transferred... or so that's what I've been led to believe.

Hopefully your current console can be fixed without needing to purchase a new one, but even then back up your data before you send it in since I'm sure they will format the hard drive :wink:

Although I'm guessing you either know about backing up your saves or you have no saves left to back up, because I just realized that you mentioned you wiped your hard drive.

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 10:11 am

Lace-Bane wrote:
SonicMisaki wrote:

Er... I actually had 8 separate Xbox 360's fry on me while under the same 3 year store warranty (I'm not kidding, nor is that an exaggeration)... I had a rrod and multiple videocards burn out... I've had my PS3 since launch and it hasn't given out on me yet. I do live in a fairly hot place but I believe Sony is much more reliable without a doubt since I live in the same area and my ps3 still works :wink:

With the large number of fried 360's, I've mainly switched over to playing PS3 for the most part. I still have a 360... but I'm afraid to touch the thing :lol:

Hm. Understandable. Maybe you might need a cooling fan for your 360.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 1:10 pm

SonicMisaki wrote:

The failure rate for 360's is over 50%. Hello RRoD.

Anyway, OP, try this:

Quote:
1 get a straw

2 softly push into middle of bluray (make sure your lined up with the little ps3 icon )

3 make sure your mouth is dry ( no spit )

4 blow as hard as you can as you slowly pull straw out of blu ray player slot ( make sure dry air!! ! )

a more drastic measure is the old straw and q-tip cotton swab dampen with isopropyl alcohol (umm might not want

to do this if its in warranty also make sure the playstations completely unplugged used to do this with the ps1 and ps2's

never fails to work (fixed)

p.s. the mighty sony gods should relize the top loading tray from ps1 slim ps2 slim made gamers oh so happy so eeeaaassyy

to fix the no disc read error cotton swab done

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2010, 3:00 pm

The failure rate is OVER FIFTY PERCENT?!?!? That seals it then. Definitely a PS3.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 4:00 pm

BroncosRtheBest wrote:
The failure rate is OVER FIFTY PERCENT?!?!? That seals it then. Definitely a PS3.

Yup.

Quote:
The September issue of the Minnesota-based, GameStop-owned magazine features the results of the survey, which found that a whopping 54.2 percent of Xbox 360 owners surveyed reported having the console fail on them once. Were that figure applied to the platform's 30 million-unit installed base, the result would be 15.72 million failed consoles.

Perhaps more damning, 41.2 percent of 360 owners had a second hardware malfunction--meaning that potentially 12.36 million people have had their consoles fail again. Some 36.4 percent of 360 owners reported having to buy a second console, versus 13.4 percent of PlayStation 3 owners and 8.4 percent of Wii owners. Also, Game Informer found that 69.9 percent of respondents said they had at least one friend who had an Xbox 360 cease working.

Source

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 11:33 pm

That is what also happened to my X-Box 360, the RRoD. :evil:
What stinks is that my older X-Box (not 360) had NO problems, and I had that thing for 3-4 years. Maybe they should go back to the older X-Box design, and just update the hardware. :?

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 5:30 am

Ok -- I've decided I'm going to open up the blu-ray and clean the lens. This is my last ditch effort and if this fails, I'll get the new ps3 slim for 300$ .. let's see how this goes.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 1:15 pm

Probably a hardware problem. No kind of software change is going to fix that.

For the most part, the PS3 is pretty solid for a console, but things are bound to go wrong from time to time.
XBOX 360s still have a worse track record though. My former roommate went through 4 of them in a three year span.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

Stonecold
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 3:29 pm

If you want something VERY reliable, get a Wii.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 3:50 pm

Okay, I uncased the blu ray, cleaned it, put it all back together, and STILL it won't read the disc. Sure, everything else works ... but will it read any discs? Nope. I'm thinking maybe I fried something, I've done everything I possibility could but in the end it still won't. Atleast I know I tried everything. I'm going to get a Ps3 Slim.

asprin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2010, 10:31 pm

i dont know if this helps but somone (maybe me ) accidentaly spilled liquid on it so i just bought a new one im just saying maybe you should to if you still want a ps3

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 2:49 pm

Well I Just bought a new Playstation 3 yesterday, and I'm already having problems. I've had it for about 24 hours, and it refuses to connect to the internet. My laptop works fine, my other computer works fine.. hell , even my old ps3 works. I've tried just about everything, it keeps saying "An error occurred during communication with the server. This is a DNS error. (80710101) So now I'm left thinking, what are my options?