Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2011, 12:16 am

IMO the best generation was the fifth (Saturn, PS 1, N64)

Many good, groundbreaking games came out at the time, especially 3D games were fun looking and colourful. Companies went wild experimenting with 3D and the capabilities of the consoles.

Worst?
7th generation, here are the reasons:

1. patches on console games
1-6th gen: you better damn well make sure that the game works properly before release.
7th gen: we'll release this buggy crap and patch it if they complain

2. DLC:
Yes, DLC may be nice, but it's HORRENDOUSLY overpriced... I don't want to pay 10€/£/$ for two extra maps and a bloody extra sucky gun. If it's gonna be worth the money, make a god-damned EXPANSION instead with a healthy supply of content instead... content THAT IS WORTH THE CASH

3. FPS games
Usually has about 3 colours; brown, black and muzzle flash
Usually has the same weapons as any other FPS game of the same type
Usually has an AI with the intelligence of wet cardboard (ie. bfbc2 single player)
Usually has a "gritty" look all over it

There are games that make use of a few new things, bit all in all, the rest is the same.

4. sports games
they're just the same as their predecessors... only... better graphics... in some cases

5. space shooters/sims
there are NONE

6. proper flight sims
there are NONE...

7. Racing games
actually the genre in which I have seen the most originality, especially games like Fatal Inertia and Wipeout HD and their weapons.

the rest:
Of course there are gems in between, but most of the games don't catch my interest anymore, much of it is the same, and much of it has been seen too many times before.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 12:57 am

It seems video games are becoming more monopolized by giant publishers, they tend to stick to their money making formulas and that stifles diversity. DLCs are nothing but lame cash grabs, certain DRMs make buying games without a home internet connection a pain and also make it so you might not be able to play certain games 10 years later when they take their servers down.
There will always be independent companies and small publishers who will make revolutionary games however, so just keep in mind there still are plenty of quality games being made!

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 1:51 am

Quote:
patches on console games

There were buggy games going back to the 80s. PC games have had the luxury of having patching for pretty much ever. Console games haven't. I consider this a real benefit, as there are loads of pre-7th gen games that were released that definitely needed patching and the option was never there- they were just games with glitches, no way of getting around it, no hope of a bug fix... No game ever comes out perfectly. The patching feature is more like consoles catching up to the mid-90s

Tosoth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2011, 8:55 am

Vigilans wrote:
Quote:
patches on console games

There were buggy games going back to the 80s. PC games have had the luxury of having patching for pretty much ever. Console games haven't. I consider this a real benefit, as there are loads of pre-7th gen games that were released that definitely needed patching and the option was never there- they were just games with glitches, no way of getting around it, no hope of a bug fix... No game ever comes out perfectly. The patching feature is more like consoles catching up to the mid-90s

Fun thing, there are cases where you have games in different regions where later releases get a better version since that's the only way it could be fixed, like Metroid Prime for example.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 9:43 am

Venger wrote:
Tollorin wrote:
Am I the only one who think the 7th generation is the worst one?

That means you think the early 80s Atari 2600 era(before NES) is better than current video games. I wonder how you came to that conclusion since you said you haven't played a 7th generation video game console even though they've been around for years. :roll:

Case in point, very little interest me. I do intend to buy a PS3 for Ninokuni, The Last Guardian and the ICO collection (Allowing me, finally, to play ICO) but they not even out yet! Six years to get killer apps that interest me (Except for a handled), that's not normal, and I know I'm not the only one thinking that.

It's not be technically inferior (They not) the problem of modern video games, it's a lack of diversity that put on the row those neither interested in big FPS and casual games. That was not a problem for the precedent generations since the NES, who had great diversity and great games in all genres.

Zayle79
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Apr 2011, 7:39 am

WRPG's and JRPG's are still good. Everything else is eith brainless button-mashing/trigger mashing or it's casual.

DLC, IMO, is a good idea. Bethesda Game Studios has the best. (Horse armor! :roll: )

Mikelight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2011, 12:48 pm

I'm gonna completely disagree with the original post. 7th Gen consoles have so many good games that I don't even have time to finish all the amazing games available. That's just the ones I own, there are plenty I don't even own yet that i probably never will because there are so many good ones. Between my Xbox360, Wii, and DS there is no lack of entertainment available.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 2:16 pm

Tollorin wrote:
There is such a lack of diversity for games nowaday, and it's not on the iphone I would found games interesting me, so I'm pretty much screwed...

There's plenty of fun to be had with the video games of yesteryear. All you have to do is download a few emulators and you've got access to everything from the Atari 2600 to the PS1.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 3:02 am

Foxx wrote:
IMO the best generation was the fifth (Saturn, PS 1, N64)

Many good, groundbreaking games came out at the time, especially 3D games were fun looking and colourful. Companies went wild experimenting with 3D and the capabilities of the consoles.

Worst?
7th generation, here are the reasons:

1. patches on console games
1-6th gen: you better damn well make sure that the game works properly before release.
7th gen: we'll release this buggy crap and patch it if they complain

2. DLC:
Yes, DLC may be nice, but it's HORRENDOUSLY overpriced... I don't want to pay 10€/£/$ for two extra maps and a bloody extra sucky gun. If it's gonna be worth the money, make a god-damned EXPANSION instead with a healthy supply of content instead... content THAT IS WORTH THE CASH

3. FPS games
Usually has about 3 colours; brown, black and muzzle flash
Usually has the same weapons as any other FPS game of the same type
Usually has an AI with the intelligence of wet cardboard (ie. bfbc2 single player)
Usually has a "gritty" look all over it

There are games that make use of a few new things, bit all in all, the rest is the same.

4. sports games
they're just the same as their predecessors... only... better graphics... in some cases

5. space shooters/sims
there are NONE

6. proper flight sims
there are NONE...

7. Racing games
actually the genre in which I have seen the most originality, especially games like Fatal Inertia and Wipeout HD and their weapons.

the rest:
Of course there are gems in between, but most of the games don't catch my interest anymore, much of it is the same, and much of it has been seen too many times before.

Agreed. Although I think the sixth generation was pretty good too. I really miss the space shooter/sim games and flight sims. Those are some of my favorites when done properly. The RTS genre is going down the toilet too. The best RTS game is still Zero Hour (hence my profile picture), the newer command and conquers haven't even come close. I've never really cared too much for starcraft or anything similar to it, the only other game worth playing is Supreme Commander. I just wish more people played it, it truly has potential to be the most epic game of all time.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 3:12 am

I refuse to buy DLCs out of principal.
Either make them free, or as an above poster mentioned compile them as a decent sized expansion.
Nothing but a blatant cash grab.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Apr 2011, 4:26 pm

What counts as seventh generation?

I just bought and began playing four RPGs for PC from 2007 onwards, ( cheap from Amazon ) and I love the immersion aspect of them and "open gameplay": "Just Cause 2" for the grappling hook and beautiful landscapes to wander around; "Crysis 1", ( felt sick and headachy after playing "Core" level though because of the zero gravity, no horizon line ), and "Far Cry 2" and "Morrowind" which haven't started playing yet. :)

I wanted to get "Uncharted 2" but it's apparently only on 360 and/or PS3. :(

Am contemplating GTA IV.

PS. Two beautiful machanimas from Crysis! :D

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzfrSIaUrhc[/YouTube]

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv9JwUkZr68[/YouTube]

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Apr 2011, 5:41 pm

PS. Hmm! :lol :oops Just looked up "seventh generation", and apparently it only started last year AND it only applies to non-PC games! :lol

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2011, 6:19 pm

ouinon wrote:
What counts as seventh generation?

I just bought and began playing four RPGs for PC from 2007 onwards, ( cheap from Amazon ) and I love the immersion aspect of them and "open gameplay": "Just Cause 2" for the grappling hook and beautiful landscapes to wander around; "Crysis 1", (felt sick and headachy after playing "Core" level though because of the zero gravity, no horizon line ), and "Far Cry 2" and "Morrowind" which haven't started playing yet. :)

Uhh, hate to break it to you, but the only RPG out of those 4 is Morrowind. :P Crysis and Far Cry 2 are FPSs, and Just Cause 2 is action/third-person shooter. ;) Also, Morrowind came out in 2002, not after 2007. ;)

I think the only thing wrong with the current generation is that there are too many casual games (Yes, I'm looking at you Wii and DS :evil: ) and not enough games with substance. There are some, but not as many as in the previous 2 or 3 generations.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 May 2011, 1:30 am

Thanks for the corrections. Realised that I meant to say "single player game" instead, and somehow that got "translated" into RPG. :) ... And yeah, I'd forgotten how old Morrowwind was; even the follow up, "Oblivion", which haven't got ( yet ) came out around 2005 I think!

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2011, 10:04 am

I enjoy any console I could get my hands on. I only have the original Xbox and the 360, but if I had a PS3, PS2, PS1, Nintendo and all the other generations, I'd be a happy camper. I don't restrict myself to liking just one generation of game consoles. I even play on my computer. I think it's rather silly to favor one console over the other, because all consoles have their good points.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 11:20 am

It seems most of the modern games I like are really revamped versions of older games like Mario or Sonic and The Sims and I guess now even Animal Crossing. The Playstation and Xbox seem to have nothing but gory first- person shooters and don't appeal to me at all, they seem to have a limited selection of games that are less violent and not primarily targeted towards 18-year-old males, who supposedly only like such games. But when a M-rated game is made for the Wii the Moral Guardians flip out because they thought Nintendo only makes family-friendly games, so you can't win.