Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

AbstractAlien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2012, 5:24 pm

Didnt see any threads on these, maybe I missed them. I am a little tired.

I am curious if anyone here is interested in tabletop wargames.

Personally I am hugely interested in these to the point I am trying to make my own and have been sculpting miniatures for the past few years. This was partially because I think most depictions of aliens suck and arent alien enough, and partially because I felt I could do something unique.

I do still play a lot of them though - however I gave up on warhammer 40,000 due to being priced out and backround changes I did not agree with. Lately I've taken a liking to Bushido, Mercs, Dystopian Wars and I am excited for the new game Dropzone Commander which looks really impressive with it's "RTS in model form" look.

What wargames do people enjoy here? any favourites?

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 5:26 pm

Hells yeah, I used to play Avalon Hill titles (mostly ww2 stuff - Anzio, Rise and Decline of the Third Reich, Afrika Korps, etc) for years and years, from the early 80s right up til the late 90s. But I don't really know anyone who plays that sort of stuff anymore.

ShamanicExperinces
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2012, 11:01 pm

oh wow, i used to play Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000. Still got my Ork and Tyranid armies and my fantasy Khorne Daemon army

Also i got Space Hulk! :D and im planning to get a Space Marine Army since i always fought them, i wanna see what its like playing from their point of view as i never ever played a space marine army. I plan to possibly sell off or trade one of my armys for it

AbstractAlien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2012, 8:47 am

edgewaters wrote:
Hells yeah, I used to play Avalon Hill titles (mostly ww2 stuff - Anzio, Rise and Decline of the Third Reich, Afrika Korps, etc) for years and years, from the early 80s right up til the late 90s. But I don't really know anyone who plays that sort of stuff anymore.

Theres some pretty good WWII stuff out these days, "Bolt Action" comes to mind. Or if you like Weird world war II, theres always Dust Warfare - which people seem to be loving lately.

Before a few days ago id of said I never found historical wargaming appealing, but then for some reason this game seemed to really take my eye : http://www.fireforge-games.com/index.php

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 3:57 am

I was quite into the Battletech but it's never been that popular in the UK for some reason.

Used to play 40K as well though I was more interested in the Epic scale game with Titans n stuff (probably to get my Battletech mecha fix)

Also remember having a lot of fun with Necromunda as well.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 4:04 am

AbstractAlien wrote:
edgewaters wrote:

Theres some pretty good WWII stuff out these days, "Bolt Action" comes to mind. Or if you like Weird world war II, theres always Dust Warfare - which people seem to be loving lately.

Before a few days ago id of said I never found historical wargaming appealing, but then for some reason this game seemed to really take my eye : http://www.fireforge-games.com/index.php

Miniatures, yeah, I can see the appeal but not my style. Diehard hex and chits player here.

I guess small plastic minis are ok too, but proper minis are just way too expensive and I find them a bit distracting ... they're so pretty :lol:

Anarbaculardrop
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2012, 1:35 pm

I am right now creating one. It's a bit weird, but it also is pretty interesting. The universe has only two types of magic: Necromancy(which only zombies use, unsurprisingly) and Celestial(which heals people and makes killing zombies much easier.) Even though it has many races, they all have pretty grey morality(except for zombies, which have black morality), and dwarves, elves, and orcs hate can't live in the same community. The only people that aren't racist are humans, rat-men, goblins, frog-men, and kobolds.

Pleasant world, people? If you can't tell, it has influence from both D&D's and Warhammer's lore(as well as everything I've heard about Dwarf Fortress.)

ZpykeEboto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2012, 5:01 pm

I really wanted to get into Warhammer Fantasy and 40k, as well as some of the classic war titles.

However, I barely have enough money to ever get myself a video game I want. I'm not sure how I'll ever afford miniatures, much less 40k.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2012, 5:44 pm

I've been looking at INFINITY because it's a much smaller scale skirmish game with a lower model count then 40k. It also has a more reactive playstyle with role-playing elements. So you don't just sit there doing nothing while your opponent takes his turn. The miniatures look absolutely fantastic and, have kind of an anime/manga style. I often hear the art style compared with Ghost in the Shell. The company also just announced an expansion that allows you to build a more narrative champaign. This is good because I've been thinking alot more about getting back to table top role-playing again.

Anarbaculardrop
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2012, 10:11 pm

This is a peice of concept art I did that shows a confrontation between a dwarf and an elf. It's kinda sketchy, but I hope it isn't the worst you've seen.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 3:03 am

I absolutely love war games,tabletop and board games! I really want to start a dark eldar army in 40k, maybe when I have money. Warmachine looks really cool, I like the cryx and legion of everblight models a lot.
Currently I just have some chaos space marines, I'm excited for the new codex.

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Nov 2014, 9:28 am

Seeing that there's no other thread going on that's active, and making a new one would be a bit silly IMO; I'll necro this thread here.

I'm into tabletop wargaming. Currently it's pretty much Warmachine/Hordes exclusive (Khador, Cryx, Cygnar, Menoth, Skorne and a few mercs). I've been playing 40k for the past decade but slowly I've lost interest. Still have a 6k point joint chaos force around (daemons & Chaos marines; mostly Nurgle), but I can't be bothered to look into the new rules, nor to haul my army to a store about 40 km from here I live. By now I think I've played every faction (aside from Imperial knights) available in 40k and sold off just as many factions.

An aspie friend of mine was into 40k, but he lost interest, so that's somewhat why my army is shelved as well (considering he lived around the corner, getting games in was easy). Luckily he's interested in Warmachine now, and it's a bit cheaper to buy into, so that perhaps drives some of his motivation as well.

Aside from that; I have a Empire of the Blazing Sun fleet for Dystopian wars. Played a few games in the previous edition; still haven't gotten around to buying the new rulebook, and thus haven't given games a go ever since either.

I've gotten into wargaming mostly for painting, not gaming. But I can't deal with having random figures around, so I rather paint things that also make sense to own to have a game in here or there. I quite like games in general, so the notion of buying a coherent gaming force to paint is fine to me. However, it often leaves me with miniatures I really wonder "why would I ever put this in an armylist?" and then I remember; because it was fun to paint.

I've been looking into X-wing a bit as well, but yeah... no gaming stores in my town and I hate travelling just for the sake of gaming a bit, especially when travelling involves more than an hour. Though the argument can be made that X-wing isn't as much of a chore of transporting it, as 40k is.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 6:42 pm

I too have looked into X-wing, I'm a bit put off by the pre-painted minis but I love the idea of a game where I can field tie-fighters and imperial star destroyers. Currently I'm practicing my painting, waiting to get some new (good) brushes and am going to practice by working on some Thousand Son rubric marines. I really want to do some Iron Warrior stuff but I want to buy Warriors of Chaos heads for them because to me that would look MUCH better for the IW look than the regular CSM heads.

Would like to get into Warhammer Fantasy some day, absolutely want to build a skaven army (I love rats and mice).

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Nov 2014, 7:08 pm

Well, you can repaint those ships... I've seem some amazing work on those online.

I'm a bit of a Star wars geek, so perhaps X-wing appeals a bit more to me for that reason. If I were a trekkie, I'd probably enjoy Attack wing or whatever it's called more.

I've never really liked the bones and tusks on the CSM helmets, so I'm always using the ones that look like regular marines but with the arrow on it. Cut off the top knot mostly... it really depends on which of those chaos legions you're paining if it fits. For the more renegade chapters it's fine... Red corsairs or Crimson Slaughter... maybe even Slaanesh. Warriors of chaos heads look pretty fine for most part.

I had Fantasy armies for a while never played a single game, lol. Warriors of chaos, sold those twice and had a Dwarf army for a while. They're the cheapest to get into. Skaven, as an aesthetic appeals to me, but the sheer amount of figures, and the pricetag that comes with it... meh.

Here's a link to my deviantart with an image of my Chaos army since my last update during the summer. All which I painted within a 12 month timeframe (yay aspie obsession, lol). Roughly 5500 to 6000 points.

http://punk-noir.deviantart.com/art/My- ... -470167778

Note the Pink horrors are so absolutely pink, my camera couldn't even comprehend the brightness of it, lol...

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 7:38 pm

Did you paint those with a regular or airbrush? Really interested in hearing about your painting methods, like how you highlight etc, please share if you don't mind. Looks really good.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 7:39 pm

AbstractAlien wrote:
... I gave up on warhammer 40,000 due to being priced out and backround changes I did not agree with...

ZpykeEboto wrote:
I really wanted to get into Warhammer Fantasy and 40k, as well as some of the classic war titles. However, I barely have enough money to ever get myself a video game I want. I'm not sure how I'll ever afford miniatures, much less 40k.

The current business model of Games Workshop (Warhammer's owners) seems to be something like this: "We are not in the business of games-making. Instead, we make expensive miniatures that people will want to collect, and if they end up playing games with them, great! If not, then that's still great, because we still make bundles of money!"

Star Fleet Battles used to be my favorite; that is, until the rules went into such great detail that a simple 3-on-3 engagement (1 cruiser, 2 destroyers for each side) could take an hour or longer per turn.

Right now, the only tabletop battle simulation that I still play is Chess.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.