Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Feb 2013, 11:33 pm

Whether it's Phoenix Wright, Miles Edgeworth, or Apollo Justice, who here loves this franchise in general?

gamerlegend
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2013, 12:10 am

i kind of want the first phoenix wright and probally once i play it i will probaly agreee with u. so can u tell me wut the first one is named? :?:

smoke
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2013, 5:05 am

I love Ace Attorney! Have only had the opportunity to play two of the games, though.

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 8:48 am

One of my favorite series of all time. My favorite AA game is the third one, Trials and Tribulations.

gamerlegend, the first game is just called "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney." It was released on DS, Wii, and iOS. There will be an HD version of the first three games released on iOS sometime this year. The original Japanese game, Gyakuten Saiban, was released on Game Boy Advance in Japan only, but then when Capcom upgraded it for the DS, they released it in other territories.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 9:29 am

I love Ace Attorney so much. I love trying to figure out the mystery way in advance.

The third game, Trials and Tribulations, is the best one by far. Every one of its five cases is solid gold, and they are all tied together by common motifs (imposters, betrayal, poisoned coffee, masks). Plus the final case manages to involve just about every important character in the series, and has an amazing bittersweet ending that made me cry.

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Feb 2013, 2:17 pm

I agree about Trials And Tribulations.

On a side note, has anyone seen the Phoenix Wright / My Little Pony crossover on YouTube? I just saw it a week or two ago, and suffice to say, it turned me into a brony.

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2013, 5:44 am

I'm a huge fan of the series. Pretty disappointed/annoyed that Ace Attorney Investigations 2 didn't get translated & released over here. Som people are working on a fan translation at least. Guess Capcom doesn't like money.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm

Dennis wrote:
Pretty disappointed/annoyed that Ace Attorney Investigations 2 didn't get translated & released over here. Some people are working on a fan translation at least.

Yeah, but for some reason the team working on it seems to be really dysfunctional. Every couple of weeks, I check their forums and it seems like they have yet another excuse for why they're not making much progress. Maybe I should stop complaining and join the project myself.

Dennis wrote:
Guess Capcom doesn't like money.

I dunno, I think they probably have very good reasons to think that they wouldn't make back the money. It is a niche series, and they have seen how well it tends to sell in the West.

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Mar 2013, 10:53 am

I found Godot to be the hardest (gameplay-wise) prosecutor. Not to mention the most morally gray, as well as having the coolest character design.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 12:43 am

AlanSmithee wrote:
I found Godot to be the hardest (gameplay-wise) prosecutor. Not to mention the most morally gray, as well as having the coolest character design.

Godot is really interesting as a prosecutor.

In Justice for All, Fransiska von Karma is constantly blabbering about foolish fools and whipping everyone, but she ends up coming across as a spoiled brat who isn't actually very good at her job.

I think that the devs probably realised this, and so they designed Godot to be the exact opposite: he is quiet during the cross-examinations, and only speaks up when he has something devastating to shove in your face. The very first trial day with Godot is a perfect example. He spends the whole trial putting up very little resistance, and just spends his time spouting bad philosophy as if he's bored. Then after the trial is finished, he completely destroys you with his revelation about Kane Bullard. After that, he has really earned the player's respect.

As a character, I definitely think that Godot is a "villain". He's a misogynist, he's self-obsessed, and he intentionally allows the events of 3-5 to take place. But he earns points because in the end, he admits that he was in the wrong. It was a really satisfying moment near the end of 3-5 where I was thinking all sorts of nasty things about Godot, and then Godot himself just came out and said them for me.

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2013, 8:24 pm

Godot strikes me as more of an tragic anti-villain than a true evil villain (he even briefly transitions to anti-hero when helping Phoenix take down Dahlia in court).

By the way, even though the Samuel Beckett play typically pronounces Godot as "God-oh", I get the feeling that Ace Attorney pronounces it as "Go-do" (in order to fit with "Die-GO Arman-DO").

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 1:29 am

I prefer the Phoenix WRONG videos... :P

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYPyOIaLdTU[/youtube]

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2013, 4:47 am

Declension wrote:
Dennis wrote:
Pretty disappointed/annoyed that Ace Attorney Investigations 2 didn't get translated & released over here. Some people are working on a fan translation at least.

Yeah, but for some reason the team working on it seems to be really dysfunctional. Every couple of weeks, I check their forums and it seems like they have yet another excuse for why they're not making much progress. Maybe I should stop complaining and join the project myself.

Dennis wrote:
Guess Capcom doesn't like money.

I dunno, I think they probably have very good reasons to think that they wouldn't make back the money. It is a niche series, and they have seen how well it tends to sell in the West.

Possibly, but I don't understand how the Phoenix Wright games have been released for multiple platforms here and they're making more of them, but they think one won't sell well in America.

AnniPierrot
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Apr 2013, 6:19 am

Love them! My brother and I always pretend to be Wendy Oldbag and the Von Karmas :)

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2013, 2:42 pm

I wish Apollo was coming back for Ace Attorney 5.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2013, 3:37 am

Rorberyllium wrote:
I wish Apollo was coming back for Ace Attorney 5.

Apollo is coming back for AA5! He has a new design too - it looks like he has been injured in some way.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/12/apollo-justice-dresses-like-a-pirate-in-ace-attorney-5

He's not the main character, but you might get to play as him at some point. After all, "guest star" protagonists have become a mainstay of the series. (Maya in JFA, Mia and Miles in T&T, Past Miles in AAI, Gregory in AAI2, Past Phoenix and Present Phoenix in AJ.)

A lot of people have jumped to the conclusion that Apollo is the new rival prosecutor. But I don't think so. I think the new rival prosecutor is probably someone brand new.

Speaking of the new rival prosecutor, I wonder what type of relationship they will have with Phoenix? It seems like with every AA game, there is a real attempt to keep the protagonist-rival relationship fresh and interesting.

AA: Phoenix is a naive crusader; Edgeworth represents the corrupt establishment
JFA: Phoenix is a lawyer for "the right reasons"; Franziska is a lawyer for the "the wrong reasons"
T&T: Godot has intense personal hatred for Phoenix, but Phoenix doesn't understand why
AAI: Edgeworth is an idealist; Lang is a pragmatist
AAI2: Edgeworth is willing to break the rules for the greater good; Mikagami worships the rules
AJ: Apollo is jealous of Klavier, but Klavier doesn't even think of Apollo as an enemy