Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DukeNukem2417
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2014, 3:48 pm

I collect strategy guides, for both new and old (or "vintage", if you prefer) games---some for games I've played before, others for games I wanted to play but never did......a lot of good stuff. I have a full cabinet of old guides--might post pictures later, if I feel like it--and getting "new" old guides never gets old. Even in the modern age of Google and GameFAQs, I find strategy guides preferable.

Anyone else here have a fondness for strategy guides?

ZpykeEboto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2014, 6:35 pm

I feel that the pictures and inside information can help with both new and old games. New games benefit from the fact that no online guide is out yet. Old games benefit from the fact that you can use the two together as the ultimate guide.

I have a few old strategy guides, but probably not nearly as many as you. I can't afford to buy them anymore, sadly enough, so I stick to online guides. If guides were better done like they often are on Gamefaqs, then they might warrant the large price tag attached to them at release, for me.

Interesting note was that a person on Gamefaqs that went by SinirothX was going to turn his FFVII guide into an actual paperback guide. His guide was the largest of all the guides for FFVII and you didn't need any other guide, as long as you used his, as far as I can recall. It was huge. Too bad it didn't get enough support. That's one I would have bought for sure. And it would have been a kick-off for a new name in game-guide creators instead of the current monopoly that's going on now.

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 8:56 pm

Me too, especially Nintendo Power guides and any Nintendo game guides. If it's something I'm playing/going to play I tend to get the guide if there is one ( I even pre-order guides on occasion ), and with Nintendo related games I get the guides partly for research purposes ( I like to create game ideas, especially for Smash Bros. I Even came up with ideas for 3 spin-off games: Super Smash Karts, Super Smash Bros Saga and Super Smash Sisters Volleyball ). Currently hoping to get the Pokemon Black 2/White 2 Pokedex and the Wonderful 101 guide....