Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 11:20 am

Bethesda Games!

2 years of my life wasted...I mean time well spent, lol! I'm playing skyrim right now, and loving it. Played my first character, a redguard over level 40, and a much more efficient orc at level 19. Skyrim is hands down, the best of the elder scrolls series!

Morrowind is good too, but it's harder to run on my computer, despite being an older game, and also the game map is too small, and the terrain is either nice forest or shitland. 3/4 of the map is shitland in morrowind, so it gets boring and repetitive after a while.

Oblivion is s**t, in my opinion. The lockpicking was completely awkward, and I couldn't grasp it for the life of me! That alone ruined the game for me!

Fallout 3 has interesting weapons, but lacks variety in enemy and terrain graphics. Just a gray blur, and the same mutants and raiders over and over again.

Fallout New Vegas is excellent! It's best to play it with the expansion pack - notably, the divide and zion quests. Decent, not the best, but decent storyline, good variety of characters, the graphics a little monotone, but not nearly as bad as fallout 3. Good variety of weapons and upgrades. The perk system is both good and bad. A few really excellent and helpful perks, and the rest, mostly useless and counterproductive perks.

Postives:

Hours of mindless exploration and wandering
You get to kill anyone you want, even characters that are vital to the storyline
Amusing dialogue
Amusing in-game folklore
Fairly red-pill'd about human nature
A variety of weapons/spells/potions to choose from
Great form of escapism

Negatives:

Limited terrain variety
Somewhat limited enemy variety, with the exception of Fallout New Vegas
A lot of people complain about bugs and glitches in these games, and would even argue that they're incomplete.
Personally, I think they add charm and hilarity to the experience, but that's just me.
Problems with store-owners never having enough money or supplies. Having to farm constantly for gold/ammo/potions/etc. You can get more money from them later on in the game, but money is already useless by that point, so it's pointless.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

Also, any info/reviews on earlier Fallout/ Elderscrolls games? Are they even worth downloading and playing?

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 1:24 pm

I couldn't get into Skyrim, but I still play New Vegas. It is easier to have decent video game combat with guns than medieval weapons, I suppose. And the minuscule scale of the settlements is more comprehensible in the Fallout setting, and New Vegas doesn't have so many unkillable NPCs.
Also, with Bethesda games I generally turn off the voice acting. Some of the writing and voice acting just seems wildly inappropriate.
Morrowind had lots of problems, but I liked the restricted fast travel, and reading all the books.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 4:16 pm

I think the original fallouts, Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 were great. They are of course different in that they are top-down and turn-based, and not 3d. New Vegas was made by some of the people who made the original fallouts. New Vegas also takes place much closer to the original fallouts. You get to see the origin of organisations such as the NCR and the Brotherhood of Steel, and the Super Mutants.
The turn-based combat system can be hilarious as well. I remember being surrounded by enemies while wearing power armor myself, and another distant enemy launches a rocket at me.... everyone standing near me blows up in a bloody mess and I just get knocked to the floor and get back up.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 7:38 pm

jkrane wrote:
Thoughts? Criticisms?

I've never been able to get into any of Bethesda's games, although some of their Terminator games sound kind of cool...there were always far too many bugs to be playable, and anything newer than Daggerfall had pretty ugly graphics (although Skyrim is a lot better).

I also hold a grudge against them for trying to destroy any second party game/dev that they publish. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was great, and id Software...well...it won't be long...

Also, they promised Interplay that they could make a Fallout MMO, and then changed their minds and tried to sue them =|

jkrane wrote:
Also, any info/reviews on earlier Fallout/ Elderscrolls games? Are they even worth downloading and playing?

Wasteland, Fallout, and Fallout 2 were great. I don't know if FO3 fans would like them though, since they're turn-based RPGs and not FPS.

Elder Scrolls 1 and 2 seemed alright, but bugs always prevented me from getting very far in them. Bethesda offers them for free, legally, on their website, so you don't really have much to lose if you want to try them.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2015, 8:01 pm

The only Elder Scrolls game that i played was Skyrim and i had a lot of fun with it, but i'm not interested in the older ones.
Skyrim had it's good points like exploration, the freedom and lots of possibilities to develop the character and play, but it also have some downsides like a very short main story and the so awesome dragons being way too easy to kill after just a few level ups. In my opinion it should also force us to at least be a little stronger to beat the final boss. I found it so frustrating to beat the game knowing that my character was the equivalent of a "noob" considering how many skills i could still learn, how many better armors i could get and how much i could still level up my character.
I know this is a common characteristic of RPGs, but i thought it was way unbalanced on this case.
Well, despite all this it's still a very good game!

Sinanju
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jan 2015, 1:03 am

Up until very, very recently, I'd been on a Skyrim kick. I was that WoW player who had Alt ADD and couldn't focus on any one character... so I don't think I've actually gotten farther than killing my first dragon in the story proper. Oops.

But I DID do a ton of guild questing so I was sitting at around level ~50 when I decided I made my game too easy and started over with better mods. Running around as a sword n' board Redguard now.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 1:10 am

Uninterested, for the most part. I've played them, but.... bleh.

Alot of the mechanics just irritate me, there's not alot of depth with many of them (alot of elements that seem there only for the sake of being there), and combat is way too simplistic and easy (and slow).

Not to mention the talking. So much talking. SO MUCH.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 1:44 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
jkrane wrote:
Thoughts? Criticisms?

jkrane wrote:

Wasteland, Fallout, and Fallout 2 were great. I don't know if FO3 fans would like them though, since they're turn-based RPGs and not FPS.

Elder Scrolls 1 and 2 seemed alright, but bugs always prevented me from getting very far in them. Bethesda offers them for free, legally, on their website, so you don't really have much to lose if you want to try them.

I got hold of Fallout 1 through GOG. I was getting into it, learning the ropes, looking forward to really sinking my teeth in. Then, in the course of my thorough experimentation, I realized that I could find no way to access the "right click" function as I am running a Mac. I tried all my usual tricks to bypass this hurdle but was frustrated in the end. I was so bummed.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 6:44 am

Another Thumbs Down here.

Fallout and Fallout2 veteran, so Fallout3 was a joke. Nicer in some ways, horrible in others. New Vegas at least was an improvement, but it lacked stuff that mattered to people used to the old-school games.

I played Oblivion first, and I can see why Morrowind was the best (in spite of its flaws). Skyrim is garbage.

Bethesda has the inherent problem of making everything doable...no matter what you play as a character. Granted, most all games do this, and the game(s) are too long and involved to expect a player to start over from scratch to experience the different possibilities, but this is part of good game design mechanics.

Mass Effect is a big game, but you can play over and over as different classes to experience nuances in the game you might have missed. Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3-gen is too long to do that, but at the same time, it shouldn't be possible to be master of every stinking guild in the game.

I'm playing Lord of the Rings Online. It's even bigger, but I have one main character who does it all, and all my other characters are "pet projects" to experience gameplay as other classes. I have no intention of ever developing them to the extent I've invested in my main character (who represents my "alter ego" and my preferred game play style).

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 9:36 am

Bethesda is awesome, I love Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
Elder Scrolls was good too.
My gf loves Skyrim the best.
We have all the expansion packs for Fallout 3 New Vegas & Oblivion and Skyrim.
My favorite though is Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
I love that i can have a dog in the game.
Yet New Vegas i love that we make so many different things.
My gf has played the original PC Fallouts and beaten them as well.
They are excellent games!

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 12:01 pm

staremaster wrote:
I got hold of Fallout 1 through GOG. I was getting into it, learning the ropes, looking forward to really sinking my teeth in. Then, in the course of my thorough experimentation, I realized that I could find no way to access the "right click" function as I am running a Mac. I tried all my usual tricks to bypass this hurdle but was frustrated in the end. I was so bummed.

I played through Fallout 1 and 2(also from GOG) on a macbook pro. I don't mean to annoy by mentioning things you've already tried, but if you haven't...
-Holding control and clicking the mouse should function as a right click.
-If using a track pad, two fingers side by side depressing the pad acts as a right click.
-A cheap optical two button microsoft usb mouse always seems to bypass the issue for me, so I typically use that when I occasionally play games on mac.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 12:22 pm

Lace-Bane wrote:
I played through Fallout 1 and 2(also from GOG) on a macbook pro. I don't mean to annoy by mentioning things you've already tried, but if you haven't...
-Holding control and clicking the mouse should function as a right click.
-If using a track pad, two fingers side by side depressing the pad acts as a right click.
-A cheap optical two button microsoft usb mouse always seems to bypass the issue for me, so I typically use that when I occasionally play games on mac.

I was not aware that 2-button mouse was even available for Mac(and assumed there wasn't one, given how Apple usually operates). I'll definitely be looking into it. I tried the "control+click" thing, it usually works for other games, but had no success with Fallout. Thanks for the advice, looks like I have a couple of more games to play than I thought.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 6:04 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Another Thumbs Down here.

Bethesda has the inherent problem of making everything doable...no matter what you play as a character. Granted, most all games do this, and the game(s) are too long and involved to expect a player to start over from scratch to experience the different possibilities, but this is part of good game design mechanics.

Mass Effect is a big game, but you can play over and over as different classes to experience nuances in the game you might have missed. Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3-gen is too long to do that, but at the same time, it shouldn't be possible to be master of every stinking guild in the game.

Yeah, I know what you mean. This is a problem with many AAA titles. In order to compete they have to offer lots of action with not too much difficulty. Bethesda translated this phenomenon to RPG terms. With so much money at stake, who can afford to frustrate people?
But still, who can forget their first encounter with a Deathclaw in New Vegas?

Sinanju
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jan 2015, 7:32 pm

I'm actually not really surprised over the Bethesda divisiveness in the thread... particularly with Skyrim since it's the title they seem to be best known for these days. Seems to attract that "either you love it or hate it" mentality.

One thing I'll say I don't like is the vanilla combat. It's clunky as hell and I had to dredge up a bunch of mods just to make it playable for me. I have no idea how people play in the "intended" first person mode either, because the view is so limited and I prefer being able to see what's going on around me rather than a hyper narrow punchbox.

I was thinking about trying Oblivion when I was done since I've really fallen in love with the lore, but I heard the combat was even worse in that game (and downright frustrating in Morrowind). Blech.

TheBraveSirRobin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm

I have to say that I have really enjoyed Bethesda games ever since I first played Oblivion back when I was 13, or something like that (give me a break, I was born in 1994), and I still do to some degree to this day, but I've definitely felt disillusioned after realizing that they are fairly formulaic and mostly fail to provide a truly meaningful story-driven RPG experience because of the lack of consequences in the main series titles. Fallout New Vegas would probably be my favorite "Bethesda" game if it weren't for the fact that ultimately I do still enjoy it for what makes up the bones of it, the things that I enjoyed in Oblivion and Fallout 3, and I am more comfortable subverting the consequences with liberal use of the wiki instead of enjoying the experience how it is meant to be experienced.

Also, to date, the best summary I've heard of Skyrim is that it's a ocean with the depth of a pond.

Enochian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jan 2015, 1:15 am

Skyrim is the best game I've ever played. I got to level 81+ on the Xbox 360, and now I play it with mods, which makes it even better.

Oblivion is almost as good. I actually prefer Oblivion's cities, and the mage guild quest line. I especially enjoy the fact that you can create your own spells. Oblivion is far inferior in terms of gameplay, however.

Morrowind? Overrated. Lets just leave it at that.

Fallout 3 was good, but the ending effing blows if you don't have DLC. I thought the idea of you starting as a baby was interesting, but it limits character creation. Also, the landscapes are a bit bland IMO.

Fallout: New Vegas is my second favorite Bethesda game, after Skyrim. Great gameplay, great weapons customization, great story, and great soundtrack. The followers were almost Bioware quality, with personal quests unlocked by gaining favor with them. The dialogue options give your character much more personality than other Betheda games, and the environment is much more interesting than Fallout 3's. 10/10 game.