Games you hate that everybody raves about

Page 10 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 3:01 pm

Here's what I don't get, the Android version of Minecraft is written in C, and I'm assuming the console versions are too, so why hasn't the PC version been moved to C? Java is dog slow and insecure, and Minecraft would be much better off not relying on it. Having seen the PS3 version of Minecraft in action, I was stunned at just how smoothly it ran with two players on the same console. I might be wrong, but to my eyes it was pretty much a perfect 1080p 60fps. Modern PCs should be able to manage this easily.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 3:17 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
^ Playing Counter Strike effectively requires tactics and teamwork. Unfortunately, you aren't likely to see either of those things playing online with randoms.

I *really* don't care for CS. For me it's the same kind of violent Neanderthal entertainment that includes sport. You can argue all you want, but it's not going to change my opinion.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 9:57 pm

Ichinin wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
^ Playing Counter Strike effectively requires tactics and teamwork. Unfortunately, you aren't likely to see either of those things playing online with randoms.

I *really* don't care for CS. For me it's the same kind of violent Neanderthal entertainment that includes sport. You can argue all you want, but it's not going to change my opinion.

I won't deny that. Violent video games and sports appeal to people for much the same reasons; they're simulations of warfare that appeal to our base nature. They're much safer than actual warfare, however.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 10:21 pm

^^I love "realistic" fps games. Nothing makes me laugh like wasting 10-50 bullets on a bush 200m away, and then being killed by friendly fire.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 10:42 pm

staremaster wrote:
^^I love "realistic" fps games. Nothing makes me laugh like wasting 10-50 bullets on a bush 200m away, and then being killed by friendly fire.

Sarcasm? Or does it just make you laugh? :P

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 10:59 pm

It really does make me laugh, but I suppose there is an element of sarcasm,

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 1:43 pm

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. It was critically acclaimed when it came out but to me it's extremely boring. You walk from one bad puzzle to another and try to figure out why anyone thought its gimmicky control scheme was a good idea. All the while the game tries to make you feel sad about its barebones story presented in mime. This game gets compared a lot to ICO and Shadow of the Colossus and I just don't get it.

Andrew. A
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jul 2016, 1:56 am

Undertale without a doubt. Almost all of Tumblr seems to praise it as the second coming of video games. And considering it's now been shown to The Pope, I think the hype's gone way too far.

entsaex_accordingly
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Jul 2016, 10:33 pm

Andrew. A wrote:
Undertale without a doubt. Almost all of Tumblr seems to praise it as the second coming of video games. And considering it's now been shown to The Pope, I think the hype's gone way too far.

oh god, yes. Undertale can go fornicate itself with a chainsaw. It's a disgrace to indie games. The Pope doesn't deserve this sort of treatment.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 2:44 pm

Yeah I kinda got the same feeling from playing Undertale. I should finish it before passing judgement, but what I've played of it was boring. It's quirky, but that isn't enough to sustain my interest.

I'm always very wary of game journalists almost universally praising these cheap looking indie titles. In play for me they're hit or miss. I didn't like Undertale but liked Shovel Knight, but nowhere near to the extent people praised it for.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 5:24 am

dcj123 wrote:
Misery wrote:
Of course, with Minecraft it's possible to download a certain mod that makes it run dramatically better.

You speak of this and then not name it, why?

Source?

I am on Ubuntu at the moment though my Arch Linux rig is in my living room. Minecraft is installed on my Ubuntu rig right now. Basically does this mod work on Ubuntu or Arch Linux?

Sorry, I didnt see your post until just now.

Anyway, I didnt name it out of habit simply because it's one of those "I thought everyone knew about it already" things. Which, when I think about it, is a bloody stupid habit.

Here: http://shadersmods.com/optifine-hd-mod/

That's just a general article about it; the actual main page for Optifine (the mod) has next to no info on it. Never has. Usually the central Minecraft forum also serves as central pages for most mods, and this one is no different, but it can be tough to get info out of that confusing mess for those that have never been there before, so there's that link instead.

What gets me here is that it looks like this might actually already be updated for the CURRENT version of Minecraft... 1.10. I've never seen a mod update so fast. Never. The norm is for mods to reach a new version many months after that version has released. But this is here already?

Anyway, I've used Optifine before, and it does it's job well. It depends on just what you want as to just how far it can go.

If your PC is *really* good, emphasis on "really", this mod is often also used as a base along with other mods that give the game "next-gen" graphics. I doubt I have to explain what that means. If THOSE mods are updated to the current version though, I'd be very surprised indeed, and reality would probably crack or something.

But anyway, yeah, Optifine is the one I meant. That mod has been around for a LONG time. There are players out there that have this mod to thank for the ability to even play the damn game at all. Anyone that's been into Minecraft long enough knows how badly the game is optimized and built by default.

I have no idea what "Ubuntu" is, or my memory is failing me, one of the two. But you'll have to look up the compatibility yourself. Whatever you do though, if you should try this, BACK UP YOUR SAVES before doing so. Always always always do that. I personally suggest just backing up the entire .minecraft folder in a single giant chunk. Or at least that's what I always do when installing mods outside of modpacks.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 7:13 am

Andrew. A wrote:

From what I can gather, Undertale is basically a jrpg-like with quirky characters, light bullet hell elements, and a wrpg-like morality system. It has some neat ideas, but I wouldn't call it the greatest video game ever, nor does it really interest me a whole lot. Truth be told, maybe I'm just part of the problem, but when I play an RPG I like the idea of becoming ridiculously powerful and absolutely massacreing my enemies. To play Undertale "correctly", you must not do this.

The funny thing is, Undertale isn't the first game like this. In fact, I'd actually say that the idea of a morality-based RPG goes way back to Ultima IV, which Richard Garriot created after some of the backlash earlier titles recieved for not penalizing the player for killing innocent people. Ultima IV-VII focused largely on a set of virtues, with the idea being that the player follow these virtues in order to progress. You were given freedom to veer off the path of these virtues, but this was of course discouraged.

I do plan on playing these games eventually, but while Undertale is something that's been sensationalized as a huge fad online, which will eventually wind down, I think the Ultima series will forever be regarded as a series of classic RPGs, the way they always have been.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 7:58 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Andrew. A wrote:

From what I can gather, Undertale is basically a jrpg-like with quirky characters, light bullet hell elements, and a wrpg-like morality system. It has some neat ideas, but I wouldn't call it the greatest video game ever, nor does it really interest me a whole lot. Truth be told, maybe I'm just part of the problem, but when I play an RPG I like the idea of becoming ridiculously powerful and absolutely massacreing my enemies. To play Undertale "correctly", you must not do this.

The funny thing is, Undertale isn't the first game like this. In fact, I'd actually say that the idea of a morality-based RPG goes way back to Ultima IV, which Richard Garriot created after some of the backlash earlier titles recieved for not penalizing the player for killing innocent people. Ultima IV-VII focused largely on a set of virtues, with the idea being that the player follow these virtues in order to progress. You were given freedom to veer off the path of these virtues, but this was of course discouraged.

I do plan on playing these games eventually, but while Undertale is something that's been sensationalized as a huge fad online, which will eventually wind down, I think the Ultima series will forever be regarded as a series of classic RPGs, the way they always have been.

Undertale is best though of as NOT being like a traditional RPG. It has RPG elements, yeah, but.... that's about as far as it goes. The game has you dodging bullet-hell style patterns, really. It just gets stranger from there.

Undertale became what it is for a couple of reasons: 1, the uniqueness of it, and also 2, the memorable characters and related things. Alot of RPGs hit the big-time specifically because of their characters and story, and this is one of them.

As for the story path you mentioned, it's not really a matter of not being powerful. It's just a matter of not ending fights via the attack command. Your attack value wont matter at all, as the method/mechanics of ending the fight change entirely. Hell, frankly I dont know if there IS an attack value, I never paid enough attention. The BIG difference is that you wont have as much HP.... that's it. But you still have to get INTO fights and still have to deal with dodging the enemy's attacks, and there can be some additional puzzlement as to how, exactly, to end the fight properly (just hitting "mercy" over and over doesnt do it in some cases). It's just different instead of easier or harder. Well... sort of. If you go the "kill everything" route, the game will follow up by throwing it's absolute most difficult boss at you; the sort of boss fight where some players get stuck on it for weeks. This boss does not occur if you dont go on a genocidal rampage. I dont think the challenge of actual fights changes all that much based on how much you've levelled yourself, either. Late game enemies that may, for instance, require 3-4 turns to kill will probably also require 3-4 turns to get a "mercy" finish with; the game is balanced with the developer knowing full well what brought you to either path. I've never heard of a player getting super OP in Undertale.

As for the idea of power levels, hmmm, I know alot of players like the idea of becoming overpowered and stomping on things as if they werent there, but I've never seen the point, myself. If the enemies in a game arent putting up an actual fight and being a real threat, I'm probably bored. Which is actually one of the biggest reasons I dont normally play RPGs, because even without TRYING to become overpowered, it tends to still happen anyway, particularly in RPGs made by Square (aka, the easiest damn games ever).

Undertale I have yet to get around to fully playing myself.... it's on my "I'll get to it soon-ish" list. But I understand much of the story and alot of the game's mechanics. Other games though right now have priority.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 8:06 pm

Misery wrote:
I have no idea what "Ubuntu" is, or my memory is failing me, one of the two.

lol wat?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(operating_system)

I was saying I don't use Windows, I have a virtual machine of it but I don't normally use it. I just got a new Laptop with Windows 7 so I'll try the mod. Thanks by the way, that was informative, I had done Minecraft with a bunch of mods before but I went though something called forge and I think I was using Windows 7 when I tried it.

So long as the mod doesn't do anything outside the Minecraft folder, being on Linux shouldn't matter.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 2:50 am

Misery wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Andrew. A wrote:

Undertale is best though of as NOT being like a traditional RPG. It has RPG elements, yeah, but.... that's about as far as it goes. The game has you dodging bullet-hell style patterns, really. It just gets stranger from there.

Undertale became what it is for a couple of reasons: 1, the uniqueness of it, and also 2, the memorable characters and related things. Alot of RPGs hit the big-time specifically because of their characters and story, and this is one of them.

As for the story path you mentioned, it's not really a matter of not being powerful. It's just a matter of not ending fights via the attack command. Your attack value wont matter at all, as the method/mechanics of ending the fight change entirely. Hell, frankly I dont know if there IS an attack value, I never paid enough attention. The BIG difference is that you wont have as much HP.... that's it. But you still have to get INTO fights and still have to deal with dodging the enemy's attacks, and there can be some additional puzzlement as to how, exactly, to end the fight properly (just hitting "mercy" over and over doesnt do it in some cases). It's just different instead of easier or harder. Well... sort of. If you go the "kill everything" route, the game will follow up by throwing it's absolute most difficult boss at you; the sort of boss fight where some players get stuck on it for weeks. This boss does not occur if you dont go on a genocidal rampage. I dont think the challenge of actual fights changes all that much based on how much you've levelled yourself, either. Late game enemies that may, for instance, require 3-4 turns to kill will probably also require 3-4 turns to get a "mercy" finish with; the game is balanced with the developer knowing full well what brought you to either path. I've never heard of a player getting super OP in Undertale.

As for the idea of power levels, hmmm, I know alot of players like the idea of becoming overpowered and stomping on things as if they werent there, but I've never seen the point, myself. If the enemies in a game arent putting up an actual fight and being a real threat, I'm probably bored. Which is actually one of the biggest reasons I dont normally play RPGs, because even without TRYING to become overpowered, it tends to still happen anyway, particularly in RPGs made by Square (aka, the easiest damn games ever).

Undertale I have yet to get around to fully playing myself.... it's on my "I'll get to it soon-ish" list. But I understand much of the story and alot of the game's mechanics. Other games though right now have priority.

I'm gonna be honest, the main thing that turns me off of Undertale is probably its massive popularity. I can't stand it when people hype the ever loving crap out of things. I'd probably be more interested in it if it came out 10-15 years ago and people forgot about it somewhat. I still plan on playing it eventually, and who knows, I might actually enjoy it, but I'd like the zeitgeist to die down first. In the meantime, I think I'll install Xu4 and get started on Ultima IV.

CaptainChemosh
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jul 2016, 3:05 am

-Modern FPS games
-Gears of War, all of them
-Sports/Racing games
-Casual games
-Minecraft
-Uncharted series
-Overwatch
-DotA 2