Do you like strategy games, because I like them very much;-)

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Jun 2012, 8:50 pm

There's something satisfying about strategy games. Each time I accomplish something, it's just a really good feeling.

So yes, I enjoy strategy games. :)

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 9:59 pm

Joker wrote:
NeueZiel wrote:
Joker wrote:
Yes I do games like Skyrim and Assassins creed or knights of the old republic are good strategy rgp games.

Except...they aren't? :?

I play starcraft as well, SC2 is the only blizz IP I care much for these days. I hope Heart of the Swarm is good. I'm not very good at SC though but its fun.

Yes they are it involes strategy :wink: but my favorite strategy game is Legacy Online and Empire Earth.

Doom is my favorite roleplaying game ever.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 10:39 pm

NeueZiel wrote:
Joker wrote:
NeueZiel wrote:
Joker wrote:
Yes I do games like Skyrim and Assassins creed or knights of the old republic are good strategy rgp games.

Except...they aren't? :?

I play starcraft as well, SC2 is the only blizz IP I care much for these days. I hope Heart of the Swarm is good. I'm not very good at SC though but its fun.

Yes they are it involes strategy :wink: but my favorite strategy game is Legacy Online and Empire Earth.

Doom is my favorite roleplaying game ever.

Doom is a awesome game.

Scottinoz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jun 2012, 2:06 am

NeueZiel wrote:
In one exclamation: YES!! !! !. Its my favorite genre, though I confess I've never tried the civ games. I really loved Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and even liked the much maligned puzzle offshot that came on the DS a few years ago. Do strategy rpgs count too? Shining Force 2 is easily one of my top games of all time.

If you like homm3 then check out horn of abyss, I can't wait to dominate with the Pirates and the Egyptians and they are making a dwarf castle aswell, I'll get back into then and we should have a online game to see who's the most skilled :idea:

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 3:20 am

"rulers of nations: geopolitical simulator 2" Is really cool game :)

TheFerretHadToGo
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2012, 4:30 pm

Used to be quite obsessed with the Dune game series (which also generated an interest in the books) and Civilization. For a while strategy was my genre choice. I tried a bunch of other similar games, like Age of Empires and the first two warcraft games, but most of them were just uninspired clones. In the end i lost interest and was lost to RPGs and survival/horror instead. I´ve often thought of giving strategy games another swing but once I stop doing something it´s really hard to pick it up again. As of today I hardly play computer games at all anymore, which really doesn´t seem like me at all. Maybe if I quit working and became a recluse again. :)
Nah, I´d most likely just waste the time I´d gain on books and gunpla.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 6:14 pm

`I do like a game with a good steep learning curve.

At the moment I've found a rather lovely niche war game by Gary Grigsby. Very complex and a massive scale. Probably the dwarf fortress of the war games out there. You need to know what your doing and have some understanding of naval tactics and air combat as well. Though half the war is getting your logistics right.

War in the Pacific Admirals Edition. Has a massive scale as it's main campaign covers the entire pacific theater in world war 2. It's a very serious attempt at re-creating the conflict. The scale is fantastic, very detailed orders of battle. Each individual ship in the conflict is represented. Also has a few "what if" scenario's too. The map goes from East Africa and Cape Town to the West Coast of the USA and the Panama Canal.

This fella has done a good youtube video of the general game play. Shows an organised amphibious landing on the Philippines

Oh and the default setting is that each turn = 1 day in the game. And as he demonstrates in the video an awful lot of stuff can happen in one day.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVFi-qRA49o[/youtube]

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 8:07 pm

I always loved the first two Warcraft games and an old DOS game titled Panzer General.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 8:24 pm

I don't play many strategy games. I did love turn based strategy games back in the day, like the Civilisation and Master of Orion series. Never was much into real time strategy, though I did play a fair bit of Total Annihilation and Warcraft. Generally the more micromanagement there is in a RTS the less I'll like it. Red Alert 3 was the absolute worst for this.

For the last few years the only strategy game I've played has been Sins of a Solar Empire. It recently got a new standalone expansion, Rebellion which I'm playing a lot of.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 9:06 pm

Laz wrote:
`I do like a game with a good steep learning curve.

At the moment I've found a rather lovely niche war game by Gary Grigsby. Very complex and a massive scale. Probably the dwarf fortress of the war games out there. You need to know what your doing and have some understanding of naval tactics and air combat as well. Though half the war is getting your logistics right.

War in the Pacific Admirals Edition. Has a massive scale as it's main campaign covers the entire pacific theater in world war 2. It's a very serious attempt at re-creating the conflict. The scale is fantastic, very detailed orders of battle. Each individual ship in the conflict is represented. Also has a few "what if" scenario's too. The map goes from East Africa and Cape Town to the West Coast of the USA and the Panama Canal.

This fella has done a good youtube video of the general game play. Shows an organised amphibious landing on the Philippines

Oh and the default setting is that each turn = 1 day in the game. And as he demonstrates in the video an awful lot of stuff can happen in one day.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVFi-qRA49o[/youtube]

It's not the most succesful or well-known company, but Matrix Games serves a certain niche brilliantly, they have a lot of great titles. Grigsby's name on anything is generally a really good sign, if you happen to fit that niche.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 9:08 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
I have a lot of strategy games, nearly a whole series of "Total War"
Civilization II-IV

Now I'm going to go to the game store and buy Civilization V with the extension.

I also play "Rulers Of Nations" is a really awesome game

If you like Total War, you may like Valkyria Chronicles too!

It's sadly streamlined, but it's very innovative.

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 3:38 pm

^^ Greetings pawelk1986. I believe that I really enjoy playing the strategy game named Crusader Kings II.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 5:54 pm

Civ 2

X-com (particularly UFO and Apocalypse)

Jagged Alliance 2

Wesnoth was pretty cool

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 6:42 pm

Oh I'd say Jagged Alliance 2 too, as well as Valkyrie Chronicles, except to me they're more games of tactics than strategy.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 12:13 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Oh I'd say Jagged Alliance 2 too, as well as Valkyrie Chronicles, except to me they're more games of tactics than strategy.

Tactical strategy? Strategic tactical? I never learned the difference, and I did try several times. It's like punctuation with me.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 9:21 pm

Moog wrote:
Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:

Tactical strategy? Strategic tactical? I never learned the difference, and I did try several times. It's like punctuation with me.

Strategy identifies and defines global objectives (global in the sense of "overall")

Tactics are the specific steps used to reach those objectives.

Think of the difference between a strategic bomber, and a tactical bomber. A strategic bomber is a heavy-duty, long-range bomber with a large payload, that's used to cripple enemy industry and infrastructure - like a B-52. It serves strategic objectives directly, attacking national industry.

A tactical bomber doesn't. It is a smaller bomber, shorter range, smaller payload, a Stuka dive-bomber is a tactical bomber. It is used to hit specific targets with precision, on the battlefield, like a bunker or a tank. There's no strategic objective being served directly here; it's one of myriad tactics employed that, in sum, add up to serve the overall strategy.