Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 3:59 am

Pyrite wrote:

I seem to be the only person who likes the Ice Cap Zone and Endless Mine (time trial) music more than the Launch Base... :(

Anyway Sonic 3 ends very abruptly and undramatically. There is none of the suspense, buildup and epic bosses of Sonic 2's Sky Chase-Flying Fortress-Death Egg zones, or S+K's Hidden Palace-Sky Sanctuary-Death Egg-Doomsday zones.

The sound effect for the energy beam on the giant mech is permanently engraved in my memory. :lol:

Incidentally, is it just me or is Super Tails completely OP? 8O

No way, I LOVED Icecap zone too and it was one of my all time favorite zones too. The only Sonic 3 I didn't enjoy was Carnival Night Zone but now I've developed this sort of odd obsession with it because everyone hates it and the barrel of doom makes me laugh. Act 2 is WAY too fricking long though.

PokemonChampionIris
Raven
Raven

14 Jul 2012, 11:22 am

I'm listening to the music right now.

I LOVE this franchice!
8O :D

Majike
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Aug 2012, 3:45 pm

Right with you, Metaljordy! I'm a huuuuge Sonic fan (I roleplay as Amy, Sally, Bunnie, Rouge, and Eggman, elsewhere). Doing this list, I also just realised that I have pretty much all of the games (excluding Blast, Flicky's Island, and the Game Gear ones).

Sonic 1 - Classic fun, but tricky controls!
Sonic 2 - Refined controls, really great experience!
Sonic 3 & K - Arguably the best Sonic game there is; definitely the best 2D one.

Sonic CD - Absoloutely amazing, providing you have the Japanese/European soundtrack.

Sonic Adventure 1 - The voice-acting (in English) is a little painful, but it's a great forray into 3D!
Sonic Adventure 2 - The voice-acting is a bit better and the levels are really awesome. Plus... playing as Eggman!

Sonic Advance - Arguably my favourite of the trilogy, especially with all the Sonic 1 music they snuck in there!
Sonic Advance 2 - Quite fun, but relatively tricky!
Sonic Advance 3 - Very fun! Tag-team combinations made from Sonic, Tails, Amy <3, Knuckles, and Cream!
Sonic Battle - A very different title... it's different, but fairly fun!

Shadow the Hedgehog - Despite the haters, I love this game; the Sonic X voice cast really make a difference!
Sonic Heroes - Despite getting a really bad rep, I quite enjoy this game. Being able to run around as your favourites is really great!

Sonic and the Secret Rings - Lots of loading times, but a fairly interesting way of playing Sonic!
Sonic Colours - Plays like the prototype of Sonic Generations - really quite fun! Sonic, Eggman, and Tails at their best!

Sonic Rush - It's really great fun, and makes excellent use of the second screen, but some of the levels are insanely tricky!
Sonic Rush Adventure - All the kinks from Sonic Rush have been fixed and this is a really awesome game, with really bouncy music!
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood - What's not to love about this game? It's made by BIOWARE and is crammed with references, all the way back to Sonic 1, and even Sonic SatAM!

Sonic Rivals - A fun new take on a racing game; playing as your favourites really perks things up.
Sonic Rivals 2 - Even more characters to choose from! Great fun!

Sonic 06 - Despite ALL the hate and negative reception (and as much as I got frustrated by the Mach sections), I really love this game. Sure, it might be difficult and have a bunch of loading times, but it's a great HD outing for Sonic.
Sonic Unleashed - I played a little of this, but couldn't continue. It was a down to a mixture of the single battle music for the Werehog sections, the Werehog sections, and Chip, who I couldn't stand whatsoever.
Sonic Generations - THE Sonic game to end all Sonic games. As Sonic 3 & Knuckles is /the/ 2D Sonic game, Generations is /the/ 3D Game
Sonic 4: Episode I - Surprisingly fun, even if the physics are different to the Gensis games.
Sonic 4: Episode II/Metal - A vast improvement over Episode I, both graphically and game-play wise. Plus... TAILS. <3

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 4:16 pm

I think the old games are quite fun (except Drift, if you can catch it.) However, somehwere in trying to modernize it the games felt sterile, substanceless. Sonic Colors is the closest they've gotten to a good game that I've played, though I have never played Sonic's new akrt racing game. I am more interested in LBP Karting though.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 8:30 am

The originals are probably timeless, but you can see the flaws in them now.

I liked the Adventure series in their own little way but they were in that time where 3D Platformers were popular.

Secret Rings was a good experiment, but the controls were bad....Black Knight was just...eugh.

Sonic 06 I actually didn't mind either, the thing that is wrong with the game moreso is the GLITCHES!

Colours and Generations is a step in the first direction, although Generation has the weird physics, and yes, I would say they are worse then Sonic 4.1.

Sonic 4.2 was bad...but not because of the presentation, but because of the gimmicks and bad music (Sonic 4.1 had bad music too).

For people who feel betrayed from Sonic's fall of grace, why not try Sonic Teams NON Sonic games in comparison and see that they can still make GOOD games....just not Sonic ones.

I hear a lot of hate for the Nights sequel, but I personally thought the gameplay was brilliant! Billy Hatcher is a good game that mimics Mario 64's gameplay somewhat. Chu Chu Rocket is another Sonic Team game that I would wholeheartedly recommend too.

I would say that Sonic Team are getting back to what made Sonic good, but I think their Non Sonic efforts far exceed anything Sonic related...even Burning Rangers! (kind of a shallow game on the surface, but is an excellent idea nonetheless)

@Sanity: Just wait until the sequel racing game releases! It has many SEGA franchises in that game (even moreso then Sonic's!)

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 10:46 am

Will do CrazyStarlight!

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

ZpykeEboto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2012, 5:50 am

I really don't understand the hate on Sonic 3D Blast and the Game Gear games. The Game Gear games were great, even though they were really hard. Though I have to admit the first one had quite a few "surprise, you're dead!" moments.
As for 3D Blast, it had just as much challenge and fun to it that Sonic 2 had, and great electric-style music. That is, if you played the Genesis version. The Saturn version had loading times, the Sonic 2 special stage and less fun music by far. Still almost the same game, though. The Genesis game was the first Sonic game I beat with all the emeralds before Sonic 3&K, without cheats. =P

Also, why hasn't anyone mentioned Knuckle's Chaotix? It IS a Sonic game by heart. And if that's not enough for you, it was originally called Sonic Crackers, and would feature Sonic and Tails (Which, if I remember right, are still in the data somewhere.).
Super great music, very unique and challenging special stages, AMAZING graphics (32-bit at it's best, in my opinion.) and great gameplay that didn't linger on like other, later games where levels could take a minimum of 10 minutes. You had a variety of teammates with their own strengths and weaknesses (Unlike how they're portrayed in the later games like Heroes. Ugh.). Most of all, you can play single-player or co-op, and master the physics to take you through the levels in record times. Also, Mecha Sonic returns to wreck havoc and is an awesome final boss. The stage select can be a little weird, and maybe annoying, but I think it's part of what makes the game special. Also, it returns to the old-style of needing 50 rings at the end of a stage to do the special stage, which makes it more challenging, but not by too much (Unless you picked up Bomb as a partner...).
Also, there's different times for every level (including the lobby.), making each time you play the stage look a little different depending on what time of the day the game is in when you play it.
It, too, features a save system, though it might not seem like it.

Sorry for the large amount of comments on it. It's undoubtedly tied with Sonic3&k (Which I consider one whole game, though Sonic 3 is it's own game while I consider S&K not a full game on it's own.) as my favorite Sonic game, followed by Sonic CD.

And I will also recommend Sonic Battle. Great different style game and really addicting!

ItalianStallion1119
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2012, 11:05 am

Sonic will go down as the best video game ever for me. Sonic 1 was the first video game I ever played (born in 1991) when I was like 5. Up until then I watched my teenage sister play the game and just became enthralled with it. Watching how fast Sonic flew through the levels, getting scared when my sister was in danger of dieing, yelling "get a ring," and listening to the amazing level music that I would never forget.

Then when I was old enough to understand how to play, my sister handed the controller off to me to try. Needless to say I died a bunch at the bottomless pit in Green Hill Zone Act 2. But once I got the hang of it I became pretty good and beat the level. Marble Zone took a lot of time for me to master with the various spike crushers and the annoying lava. Spring Yard Zone then became one of my favorite levels because of the pinball-type gameplay and the catchy music.

The funniest thing though was that my sister never got past Labyrinth Zone, and for good reason...she didn't know the air bubbles saved Sonic from drowning. I didn't know either until one time she had to go to work and left the game on in Labyrinth. She said I could try to beat it and I was gonna drown until I hit 1 and realized that it stopped the dreaded music and countdown (man I used to be afraid of drowning). I then lost the rest of the lives on the tough boss for Labyrinth but told my sister when she got home about the air bubbles.

My sister then got to Star Light and I had a new favorite level. At this point I really understood how to play the game and everything so when she got a game over at Scrap Brain Zone, I started the game over and began playing. After finally seeing every level, I started to make my way through the game, easily beating the first 3 levels. When I got to Labyrinth, I remembered how my sister beat the boss and after a couple of lives, got past it and easily cleared Star Light Zone. With about 12 lives, I headed to Scrap Brain and after dieing like 5 times at the opening platforms near the end of Act 1, this time I fell right onto the platform that saves you and beat Act 1.

I then got through the 2nd Act and later died in Labyrinth Act 4, lol. During that game I learned to roll Sonic, which I didn't know you could. After playing the game over and over for about 2 months, continually "game overing" somewhere in Scrap Brain Zone, I finally conquered Scrap Brain and jumped on the spring into Final Zone. After failing multiple times, I finally beat the game with 2 lives left after starting Final Zone with 10. I was so happy I beat the game that I paused it right after I beat Robotnik and waited an hour until my sister came home to show her and needless to say, she was surprised.

For my 6th birthday, my sister then bought me Sonic 2, and I had many fun memories of playing that game. Then on Christmas morning, my sister bought me Sonic 3, and then in another present bought Sonic & Knuckles. When she told me that the game locks together I was in heaven and played Sonic 3&K the whole day. I showed like everyone in my family and even my uncle was impressed with how fun the game looked. So much so that he sat and played it too.

I also played Sonic over my 1 friends house for a long time. We were like in 1st grade and he would ask us to come over to play Sonic...that even translated into a trio of us going by the nicknames: Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. I remember we even used to "play" Sonic during recess by finding this kid we didn't like and tagging him in which we would celebrate getting "Dr. Robotnik."

So as you can see, Sonic has been a big part of my childhood, and I still own all of the classic Genesis games to this day. I am now teaching my 4-yr old nephew how to play and continuing the legacy of Sonic!! !

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 8:47 pm

An old of mine and I always used to joke about this Sonic 2 commercial. I'm not sure if my family actually took advantage of the offer although it's possible. :lol:

Anyone else here old enough to remember it?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp4pg1bOEdM[/youtube]

browncow45
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Aug 2012, 8:16 pm

Only Sonic game I ever owned was Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, but I absolutely loved it. Great gameplay and storyline, fantastic music, and the everaddicting chao garden. I've played a few of the 2d games before and they were good, but I really like Mario better. From what I've heard, Sonic crashed hard after the adventures.

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2012, 7:42 pm

Good once, sucks now.

[/thread]

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 5:59 pm

BenPritchard wrote:
Good once, sucks now.