Games you hate that everybody raves about

Page 2 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 2:07 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
League of Legends. I've never played it, but from seeing what it does to people, I don't want to have anything to do with it. From what I've seen, it's horribly addictive, insanely competitive, rage-inducing, and it's designed to drain people's wallets. Sure, it's "free to play", but in order to try certain characters or keep using a certain character after their week-long free period is up, you have to buy them, and the price per character is absurdly high. It wouldn't be so bad if characters were like $0.25 a pop or something, but they charge $10, on sale. I don't even know how much they cost when they're not on sale, but I have a friend who has reportedly bought at least 100 characters. That's over $1000 invested in one stupid game! I would never pay that much!

Alot of misconceptions here.

The biggest being the pricing.... you dont need to pay such a damn silly amount, really you dont. Alot of players dont pay a damn thing, yet get all of the characters. Like any free-2-play game, you can earn currency in-game that can then be used to purchase stuff. I absolutely guarantee that this game would have utterly bombed from the very beginning if this was not the case. No publisher could pull off THAT payment model and not get destroyed by their own horrid idea.

I've spent maybe $30 on the game myself, out of sheer impatience and also just because I can, and I've got quite a good selection of characters to use right now, some of which I havent even gotten started with yet. Most players though do just earn them in-game.

As for what it does to people.... oh yeah, it's got alot of jerks in there, but.... at the same time, I honestly cant think of even ONE competetive game that doesnt. Hell, Xbox Live just on it's own, not even considering the games on it, is downright legendary for it's population of f-bomb shrieking 13-year-olds. Play ANY XBL game long enough (and typically it doesnt actually take long) and you *will* run into absolute jerkbags and crazed nutballs. It merely depends on just how popular the game in question is.

As LoL goes, it also depends on the mode. You find most of the ragers in ranked mode, because a loss affects their oh-so-precious ranking. It's MUCH less frequent in unranked.

And really.... wether or not you get enraged by it is entirely up to you. It wont launch you into anger mode if you dont let it. There's nothing about the actual gameplay that causes this on it's own. Me, I dont get angry at it.... period. Even if I'm on a team and we're very clearly losing, I look at it as a chance to learn more, and I figure, OK, we're going down, but I'm gonna challenge myself to do as much damage to the enemy as I can before we do! If others start raging at me? Muted. No hesitation there. And yeah, I've heard the arguement that you shouldnt mute them because it "interferes with team communication", but honestly, if someone is raging, I guarantee they have nothing useful to say anyway. Mute and ignore, and then report them afterwards. Doesnt bother me.

And finally.... if you're kind to people to begin with, they're ALOT less likely to flip the heck out at you. I make a point of being super-polite and friendly no matter what, and as a rule, nobody ever yells at me about anything. This goes for the entire genre, not just that one game.

As I see it the REAL problem with the game, and every other one in it's genre, is the learning curve. And also just everything that goes along with it being a team-based game to begin with.... like any team-based game, your chances of victory go down if you get some asshat on your team, or something like that. There's no cure for THAT one though.

I'm still a pretty new player myself, but I enjoy the time spent with this one. It's fun and challenging, and I like the "moba" gameplay formula as a whole (and enjoy games like Dota 2 or Smite or whatever as well).

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 10:24 am

Schneekugel wrote:
I forgot to mention the whole "Yeah, I am a f***ing uneducated criminal." GTA genre.

Okay I can see where you are coming from with Grand Theft Auto San Andreas but Vice City didn't across that way to me. It has a story line and is less about uneducated gangs killing one another. Just opinion you can take it or leave it, also I am not flaming, I respect your opinion. Vice City is one of my favorite games.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 6:11 pm

newageretrohippie wrote:
Are there any games that everybody raves about how great it is but you just don't get the appeal?

Oh gosh, no. If I tried making a list, it would be far too long and obnoxious.

Schneekugel wrote:
I forgot to mention the whole "Yeah, I am a f***ing uneducated criminal." GTA genre.

I liked it in the first two games, because they did it with a lot of humor in an arcade style...but later on, especially with San Andreas, everything just seems like its taking itself far too seriously. Which I guess is okay if you're in the mood for a bad crime movie.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
On a lighter note, there's Minecraft. Everyone and their dog seems to be obsessed with this game, except for me. Personally, I think it's poorly programmed ... and the actual gameplay (if you can call it that) is boring.

That's how I feel trying to play it solo, but I've had a lot of fun playing the 360 port in split-screen multiplayer with my friends.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 7:27 pm

Any "free to play, pay to win" game.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 1:32 am

Misery wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
League of Legends. I've never played it, but from seeing what it does to people, I don't want to have anything to do with it. From what I've seen, it's horribly addictive, insanely competitive, rage-inducing, and it's designed to drain people's wallets. Sure, it's "free to play", but in order to try certain characters or keep using a certain character after their week-long free period is up, you have to buy them, and the price per character is absurdly high. It wouldn't be so bad if characters were like $0.25 a pop or something, but they charge $10, on sale. I don't even know how much they cost when they're not on sale, but I have a friend who has reportedly bought at least 100 characters. That's over $1000 invested in one stupid game! I would never pay that much!

Alot of misconceptions here.

The biggest being the pricing.... you dont need to pay such a damn silly amount, really you dont. Alot of players dont pay a damn thing, yet get all of the characters. Like any free-2-play game, you can earn currency in-game that can then be used to purchase stuff. I absolutely guarantee that this game would have utterly bombed from the very beginning if this was not the case. No publisher could pull off THAT payment model and not get destroyed by their own horrid idea.

I've spent maybe $30 on the game myself, out of sheer impatience and also just because I can, and I've got quite a good selection of characters to use right now, some of which I havent even gotten started with yet. Most players though do just earn them in-game.

As for what it does to people.... oh yeah, it's got alot of jerks in there, but.... at the same time, I honestly cant think of even ONE competetive game that doesnt. Hell, Xbox Live just on it's own, not even considering the games on it, is downright legendary for it's population of f-bomb shrieking 13-year-olds. Play ANY XBL game long enough (and typically it doesnt actually take long) and you *will* run into absolute jerkbags and crazed nutballs. It merely depends on just how popular the game in question is.

As LoL goes, it also depends on the mode. You find most of the ragers in ranked mode, because a loss affects their oh-so-precious ranking. It's MUCH less frequent in unranked.

And really.... wether or not you get enraged by it is entirely up to you. It wont launch you into anger mode if you dont let it. There's nothing about the actual gameplay that causes this on it's own. Me, I dont get angry at it.... period. Even if I'm on a team and we're very clearly losing, I look at it as a chance to learn more, and I figure, OK, we're going down, but I'm gonna challenge myself to do as much damage to the enemy as I can before we do! If others start raging at me? Muted. No hesitation there. And yeah, I've heard the arguement that you shouldnt mute them because it "interferes with team communication", but honestly, if someone is raging, I guarantee they have nothing useful to say anyway. Mute and ignore, and then report them afterwards. Doesnt bother me.

And finally.... if you're kind to people to begin with, they're ALOT less likely to flip the heck out at you. I make a point of being super-polite and friendly no matter what, and as a rule, nobody ever yells at me about anything. This goes for the entire genre, not just that one game.

As I see it the REAL problem with the game, and every other one in it's genre, is the learning curve. And also just everything that goes along with it being a team-based game to begin with.... like any team-based game, your chances of victory go down if you get some asshat on your team, or something like that. There's no cure for THAT one though.

I'm still a pretty new player myself, but I enjoy the time spent with this one. It's fun and challenging, and I like the "moba" gameplay formula as a whole (and enjoy games like Dota 2 or Smite or whatever as well).

I've seen what LoL does to people, in person, and it's not a nice thing to see. Granted, you're right, almost any online multiplayer game can potentially have the same effect, though I personally have mainly seen it with LoL. As far as the rage factor goes, I'm going to be truthful, I'm not a fan of games with steep learning curves, and I tend to rage easily at difficult games, especially multiplayer ones. Judging by these factors, along with my intense dislike of the F2P business model, LoL is not for me.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 3:18 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I've seen what LoL does to people, in person, and it's not a nice thing to see. Granted, you're right, almost any online multiplayer game can potentially have the same effect, though I personally have mainly seen it with LoL. As far as the rage factor goes, I'm going to be truthful, I'm not a fan of games with steep learning curves, and I tend to rage easily at difficult games, especially multiplayer ones. Judging by these factors, along with my intense dislike of the F2P business model, LoL is not for me.

Funny thing is, I've actually seen it happen more with online shooters. Way, way, WAY more. Dramatically more.

The difference is that the screaming in THOSE games isnt as publicized. It's there, but everyone and their grandma isnt talking about it endlessly, nor are there 20 billion videos of it.

As the moba genre goes though, yes, LoL and also Dota have by far the worst communities out of it. I actually play those two alot less than other games, such as the upcoming Dawngate, or Infinite Crisis. There's a refreshing lack of screaming in those, due to them not being "the big ones". Same with Smite and whatever the heck else there is.

Though I guess that's the problem when it comes to the most major entries in any genre, really. The biggest games are always asshat-magnets.

I do find it bizarre though that people will still stick to a particular game even if it's A: pissing them off, or B: causing them to get insulted left and right. I always wanna say, it's a large genre, why not go try something else?!?

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 3:58 am

dcj123 wrote:
Schneekugel wrote:

Okay I can see where you are coming from with Grand Theft Auto San Andreas but Vice City didn't across that way to me. It has a story line and is less about uneducated gangs killing one another. Just opinion you can take it or leave it, also I am not flaming, I respect your opinion. Vice City is one of my favorite games.

I already got recommended a game, that shall be comparable to that GTA game design, but much more fitting to my black humour. I dont know about the games name anymore, but it was about you playing a president, that needs to fight of aliens from earth with double-dildo-sabers. ^^ It was described to me as "GTA on LSD". ^^ I sadly forgot the name, but have it at home on my "to do" list. ^^

HelixShade
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Mar 2014, 6:55 am

Misery wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I do find it bizarre though that people will still stick to a particular game even if it's A: pissing them off, or B: causing them to get insulted left and right. I always wanna say, it's a large genre, why not go try something else?!?

As someone who plays Hearthstone on a frequent basis - the answer lies somewhere between failure being a frequent part of life, boredom and machosadism I'm sure.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 8:48 am

Schneekugel wrote:
dcj123 wrote:
Schneekugel wrote:

I already got recommended a game, that shall be comparable to that GTA game design, but much more fitting to my black humour. I dont know about the games name anymore, but it was about you playing a president, that needs to fight of aliens from earth with double-dildo-sabers. ^^ It was described to me as "GTA on LSD". ^^ I sadly forgot the name, but have it at home on my "to do" list. ^^

It's the most recent Saints Row game.

The series was created as a.... competitor?.... to Grand Theft Auto, using basically the same gameplay formula. After the first game though they quickly went off on a tangent where subsequent games just got more and more absurd (for example, there is a scene where you play as a toilet in a Tron-inspired virtual reality. No, I dont know how this makes sense, someone I know showed it to me).

The one you speak of is apparently the most absurd of them all and completely deviates from the original idea. You have crazy superpowers and everything.

Neither GTA nor that are at all my type of games, but it's still hard to forget that bit...

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 5:55 pm

Shenmue

Because ambition alone does not make a great game.

ZpykeEboto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2014, 9:47 am

I hate what TotalBiscuit calls the "modern military shooter" genre. Call of Duty and those others (Except the 2nd, which I played and loved.) are all about multiplayer and unfair level progression.

I can't stand games with too much dlc or micro-transaction, with very rare exceptions. I have a love-hate relationship with Maplestory, in that I love to play it, but hate all that it stands for, so I don't play it. =P

Fable series after the first. They're basically the same game with MORE glitches. And for some reason these games sold better than the first?

Sports games. Not because of the frat boys that constantly talk about them, but because I have no idea how to play them, much less the strategies behind them. =P

Same goes for most realistic racing games. Because why would I want to drive slowly in a line when I could play something like FX-Zero? An exception would have to be Sega's GT 2001 for Dreamcast, which I enjoyed back in the day, for awhile.

Games that require memorization. I got sucked into the rhythm games for awhile there, but quit soon as I realized it would require memorizing everything. Time better spent elsewhere. Bullet hells fall under this category, because having to memorize patterns to survive against a million on-screen dots is not fun. Unless, of course, you have unlimited lives. >.>

I don't have too much that I "hate" that other's love too much. I'm just more petty and nit-picky and will complain about such-and-such feature or problem in many games I play. =D

Edit: I am sick of the Pokemon franchise at this point. It's been done to death. I am still nostalgic about the old games, but if it has over 251 pokemon in it, I don't really want to play it anymore, no matter how much the siren's call beckons.

Last edited by ZpykeEboto on 20 Mar 2014, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 9:52 am

Don't hate Call of Duty games at all, though I passed on buying the latest one, Ghosts, for the first time since 2009.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 12:34 pm

stardraigh wrote:
Resident Evil - I liked them up to 3, but now, I think they suck and don't hold up.

If you want me to get into specific games, rather than the general stuff I posted before, then yeah, I hate modern RE games. I still love the classics, mind you, even CVX, which feels like a big step back from 3, probably because it was in development longer, and was actually originally supposed to release first. I actually do like RE4, a lot, but not as a RE game. It screws up the cannon, and it created even more plot holes than the series ever had before, it's sexist, and previous entries aren't, plus it does a complete 180 on gameplay. However, it happens to be gameplay I like. I also like the story, and the characters. I just wish, if Capcom wasn't interested in making another RE game, that the would have made RE4 its own game, in its own franchise. RE5 and beyond are jokes not even worth mentioning, because to do so would further validate their existence.

I also hate Alice: The Madness Returns. I played the original American McGee's Alice first, and really enjoyed that. Pretty much everything the original game got right, the sequel got wrong. The atmosphere is a good example. Take the Vale of Tears. It's dark and depressing in the first game. It's bright and colourful in the sequel. WTF? The real world portion of the sequel captured more of the spirit of the original. Let that sink in. The characters in the sequel are just plain annoying. I got to a stage where the Mad Hatter talks constantly in the background, and never shuts up, and decided to stop playing at that point. The antagonists from the first game are allies now, for some reason?

There was story in the original, but the sequel beats the player over the head with it, with frequent flashbacks, and "memories". And you know what? It amounts to the same story as the original, since it has Alice face the same personal demon she conquered before, so there's really no reason for this sequel to exist. None whatsoever. I will admit, the sequel does have more accessible gameplay. The original didn't feel like it was made for consoles, so the controls felt a bit awkward. I did get used to them though. The game was pretty challenging, however. The sequel technically gets the gameplay right, though it still only amounts to a linear platformer that's not at all in the same league as the best 6th gen platformers, so I still wasn't convinced enough to get past that irritating stage.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 5:07 am

Tross wrote:
I still love the classics, mind you, even CVX, which feels like a big step back from 3, probably because it was in development longer, and was actually originally supposed to release first.

I know what you mean, that kind of irritated me, especially since I used the heck out of Nemesis's dodge feature.

I wasn't huge on CV (haven't played X yet, since it's not in English on the DC, but I do have the GC version now), but what really irritated me was that every time it would switch you out to a different character, I would always end up with all my really good items (and lots of ink ribbons) on my other dude and not in the box =| Next playthrough I will try to be more careful.

And I would certainly recommend any newcomers to play CV before playing Nemesis.

I still need to play Zero...I got a little ways through it, and then got distracted by some other game. I have Umbrella Chronicles for the Wii, and it has you play through Zero first before you can play the rest of them, and I don't want it spoiled for me like that game spoiled the original RE for me (I was maybe a half-hour from the end of the game).

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 3:16 pm

Kurgan wrote:
Any "free to play, pay to win" game.

Or worse, any "pay to play and pay even a heck more to win" game.

DukeNukem2417
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2014, 3:13 pm

Call of Duty: Ghosts. I seriously don't get why a Call of Duty game that only adds one or two new things is getting so many "10/10" or equivalent ratings, and why they brought back the commercial for it after a month.