Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 5:41 am

staremaster wrote:
Then, in the course of my thorough experimentation, I realized that I could find no way to access the "right click" function as I am running a Mac.

Wha?? Didn't Apple add a second mouse button decades ago?

Chloe33 wrote:
I love that i can have a dog in the game.

I loved Dogmeat in the first Fallout (since I'm a huge Mad Max fan), and I kept reloading quicksaves for a while because the stupid thing kept getting itself killed, but eventually a gave up and let him die =|

Enochian wrote:
Great gameplay, great weapons customization, great story, and great soundtrack. The followers were almost Bioware quality, with personal quests unlocked by gaining favor with them. The dialogue options give your character much more personality than other Betheda games, and the environment is much more interesting than Fallout 3's.

Probably because Bethesda didn't make that one B)

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 8:29 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:

Enochian wrote:
Great gameplay, great weapons customization, great story, and great soundtrack. The followers were almost Bioware quality, with personal quests unlocked by gaining favor with them. The dialogue options give your character much more personality than other Betheda games, and the environment is much more interesting than Fallout 3's.

Probably because Bethesda didn't make that one B)

Yeah, New Vegas is much better because it was made by the old interplay crew... Another great thing about FNV is the combat. As someone else already observed, Deathclaws are to be feared again, and a swarm of Cazadores can kill even high level characters with ease... Man, that's nice! :skull:

Also, concerning the OP's comments about perks in FNV-- Those perks are really geared toward role play and you really need to take care in picking those things...

I've only played through FNV one time, and I kinda screwed up the ending because picked too many different/conflicting paths during the early parst of the game. Also, I've yet to play all the DLCs...

I think I'm gonna hafta start a new game as a full on pro-NCR Cowboy type with Rose as my primary companion... I always play no vats or armor with my cowboy character (it's a lot of fun with the right perks) and I can "stay drunk" all the time with the whiskey Rose companion perk!! ! :D

Lookout Vegas, Hell Tanner is coming back to town!

:twisted:

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 12:59 pm

While I still liked New Vegas, I'm surprised to see so many preferred it over Fallout 3. I was all excited to finally get to the strip and it was a HUGE letdown. Granted I have never been to Las Vegas but I know the Strip is larger than life, not fenced off in multiple areas. I also liked all the various Metro stations in Washington even though they all looked similar. That's not counting how much buggier New Vegas was. Still a great game but nowhere as good as Fallout 3 in my eyes!

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 7:05 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
While I still liked New Vegas, I'm surprised to see so many preferred it over Fallout 3. I was all excited to finally get to the strip and it was a HUGE letdown. Granted I have never been to Las Vegas but I know the Strip is larger than life, not fenced off in multiple areas. I also liked all the various Metro stations in Washington even though they all looked similar. That's not counting how much buggier New Vegas was. Still a great game but nowhere as good as Fallout 3 in my eyes!

I think many people found New Vegas closer to the original Fallouts. The combat/perk system was also a bit closer, as they had both damage reduction and damage resistance, so that using low damage/high rate of fire isn't really useful against power armor for example. And New Vegas had the multiple endings depending on which faction you chose to support.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 11:55 pm

I have played Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and Skyrim.

I would say Skyrim is the best game I have played, especially since I have been able to play multiple different ways allowing for some nice role playing.
Dusky: A High Elf which most of my levelling has gone into and where I started to move from stealth to heavy. lvl 50, 161 hours.
Nippet Floffy: A Khajiit assassin, loyal to the empire and master of the bow. Lvl 38, 102 hours.
Leila Vie: An Imperial vampire, a necromage who uses a war axe, and tries to hide my identity with a happy family. lvl 34, 90 hours.
Kaleb Kuro: A Dark Elf with a preference of heavy black armour, a collector of anything Daedric. Lvl 40, 91 hours.
Emmilaret: A Breton mage that I limit myself to only being able to use magic, no weapons, so if magica runs out I have to wait till it returns. lvl 22
Sthilung: A female Nord vampire hunter, I collect the armour of all vampires I beat. Lvl 29, 65 hours.
Illperat: An Imperial thief where I have to steal everything I can, beaten all thieves guild quests and got all the pieces of the crown. lvl 29, 62 hours.
Bradleigh: A Breton, I am not allowed to quick travel, I have to eat 3 times a day and go to sleep at night at a proper inn when possible, I should not do anything that I wouldn't, so I use illusion magic to run and no loading back if something unfortunate happens. Lvl 19, 63 hours.
Waivirn Poysen: An Argonian with a tendency of violence and collecting ingredients for alchemy. Lvl 15, 60 hours.
Marlevi Furent: A Nord love of meat who must grab it at any chance, and a cannibal who eats people both as a werewolf and in human form. Lvl 16, 40 hours.
Yarvello: A Khajiit user of heavy armour and aspiring master of conjuration. Lvl 10, 13 hours.

CivMaster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2015, 4:41 am

well i played morrownd, oblivion and skyrim.
generally speaking the greater game depends on your favorite playstyle and weapon choice.

the possible customization of spells in morrowind is still mindnumbing, but the enchanting is something i detest in morrowind. only activatable effects.
also every cave or town you found had its own flair going on.
sadly most of the land was ashland, sometimes i think they should have made a bit more steppes or so.

oblivion made it more balanced from the abilities to play melee(i still miss my spears). i found oblivion to be the most immersive of the three, it had a good main quest(yes, no plottwists but a good enough base). you had hilarious sidequests and guilds who nearly felt alive to me.
i liked this ones enchanting system the most, passive permanent effects and changing depending on what part of your "armor" you enchant. i still the member my bow "soulrender", it had steal soul for 1 sec, drain magic, drain stamina, drain life. it was such a great thing.

skyrim toned down on the magic system even more than oblivion(losing nearly all good utility magic like the purge spells and the poison like spells , i miss infravision the most). they added those hold-and-fire spells and mines but other than those there is nothing interesting.
skyrim has nearly nothing going for its enchant system, you cant make any 3-use enchants anymore who just killed nearly everything directly. your enchant is based on your soul gem in a way that makes it really boring. cant combine multiple effects. cant even make the effect really strong because they removed the reduce resistances effects.

was a really enthousiastic mage in morrowind, went to magical assasin in oblivion, had to settle for a normal assasin in skyrim because i couldnt incorporate magic at all(the only thing that worked was summon bow, but without illusion(which i regard as garbage in skyrim) the spell is so loud that stealth is immediatly lost even in the easiest difficulty).

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 5:25 am

CivMaster wrote:
was a really enthousiastic mage in morrowind, went to magical assasin in oblivion, had to settle for a normal assasin in skyrim because i couldnt incorporate magic at all(the only thing that worked was summon bow, but without illusion(which i regard as garbage in skyrim) the spell is so loud that stealth is immediatly lost even in the easiest difficulty).

Was it that bad? I mean it requires some hot keying a spell to your hand, but I found that as assassin can work really well with magic. My best character at full could pretty much turn invisible and then strike with a dagger to do extreme damage, it took time to raise illusion, but calming and fury spells can be good if you focus on them, in fact Fury can make assassinating targets easy. Alternatively there was alteration that could build up defences, or restoration to heal damage. The big downside would be only Destruction which does seem mostly useful when completely focusing on it, leaving it mostly a mage only useful skill. As someone who has done a magic only play through I can say that focusing on it can completely change, firebolt and similar spells become mostly useful when you are using it dual handed to make enemies stumble.

Enchanting works best when used for things like squeezing a little more out of something like smithing, getting resistances or perhaps a particularly nice paralysis weapon. It does seem most of the useful perks require quite a bit put into it.

CivMaster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2015, 6:50 am

hotkeys are not a problem, alteration and restoration are not things i really want(i do have the normal 2 heal spells always).
the problem with illusion is i dont want to focus on it, does it still have silence spells? if not then it lost its greatest asset.
fury is okay, because you get a temporary distraction.
invisibility is probably beter than in oblivion due to silent boots.

complete mage may be viable but i miss the choices i had. playing a mage now i downright painful for me(i know i sound very butthurt).
well maybe i will look through the mod sections some time again and try to find some magic mods, for more choices.

the summon bow build i planned out, is madly powerful but starts with nothing of usefullness. either i go to a ruin i cant clear at the start to find the bow summon skill book or i grind 20 or so levels in summon to buy it at a mad price and then still have to grind illusion like a mad man. and once i have this base i am so crippled in power that i cant kill anything anymore.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 7:52 am

CivMaster wrote:
the problem with illusion is i dont want to focus on it, does it still have silence spells? if not then it lost its greatest asset.
fury is okay, because you get a temporary distraction.
invisibility is probably beter than in oblivion due to silent boots.

What, binding magic for a little bit is a greater asset than making an enemy outright stop fighting so that you can sneak up behind them and slit their throat? Oblivion spells could be quite broken, no need for make a touch charm spell so that someone will like you at max, or never need to lock pick with an easy made spell.

Skyrim pretty much balanced everything so there was natural progression. Archery was not even a useful skill in Oblivion, yet practically overpowering once you started to get your character going in Skyrim by focusing on it. And Oblivion did have trouble at properly ramping up difficulty if you raise up too much, while sticking to like to 3 skills with one being a combat skill (archery, one-handed, two-handed, and destruction) should make things interesting, and if it is too hard you can lower the difficulty. I tend to play it mostly on Master difficulty, but a lower difficulty can make the game right if it is too hard.

as1337
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jan 2015, 11:28 am

I think all elder scrolls games their own character and charm. Only arena is a bit to archaic for my taste, but i play all the other ones every ones in a while. The older ones have more depth but the games did get more streamlined which has its own advantages. I only played fnv not f3 so i cant say which is better, but i dont like the setting that much anyway.