Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2005, 7:01 am

Yinepuhotep wrote:
Honestly, the lack of RP groups in my area is why I'm seriously considering doing an online GURPS game. I know of a MUSH that has rooms set up for people to use as places to gather for tabletop roleplaying, and if I can gather a group of people who are interested, I'll start running something once a week or so.

Sounds like OGRMush... I noticed some rooms there for tabletop I believe and some other Mushes, one of the MUSH games I play on has an 'embassy' room on the game for when CrystalMush is down.

pokeapoke
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Aug 2005, 4:06 pm

Role playing games are my favorite. The only games I like are roleplaying ones.

Edit: Check out www.elderscrolls.com as they have a great new game with tons of info on it. If you join the forums there(tons of stuff to talk about) send a pm to Pokeapoke, as that is me there as well. I use the forums there often. Also if you join be sure to read the stickies before you post.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2005, 4:29 pm

ISNT THERE A GAME THAT DOSNT WANT STUFF LIKE WHERE YOU LIVE? :evil:

Chipy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2005, 8:18 am

my favorite RPGs are morrowind, the ultima games (ultima 7+, ultima underword I+II), diablo I+II, baldurs gate, icewinddale. by now im done with most of this games cuz i've played them obsessionly for looong time. of all this games morrowind is my most beloved RPG, but it drives me really crazy cuz it crashes time and again and i dont have a clue why it crashes. so i had to stop playing morrowind cuz i cant handle pc-crashes. :cry:

now the sims 2 is my favorite game wether its not a RPG but its just awesome. (and it dont crashes (by now)...(hopefully)) :D

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2005, 6:50 pm

Yinepuhotep wrote:
Sanityisoverrated wrote:
People here were talking about RP computer and video games.

I have played D&D etc in the past and enjoy good pen and paper roleplaying, however I don't know of any groups in my area.

I never did understand that whole concept of "RP computer and video games." I have a copy of Alice, and a copy of Baldur's Gate, both of which I have seen listed as "RP games" - and there's not the slightest bit of RP involved in them. At best, I'd consider them puzzle games.
Labeling "Alice" as an RPG is a joke, but there IS role-playing in the Baldur's Gate series, even though it is still sort of derrivative. For a truly in-depth CRPG, try the "Fallout" series and "Planescape: Torment". Unfortunately, both are out of print, but well worth it if you can find them, IMHO.

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2005, 6:53 pm

For the record, I'm copying and pasting my post in the D&D thread, in case it was missed:

Quote:
I am a jaded D&D player who inhabits the realms of the bygone era of AD&D 2nd edition (no 3e for me, thanks), particularly in the Planescape setting. Currently, I run a slow-moving RPG in that setting over at http://www.mistresslair.net/forums/

I also play computer RPGs, which can give me a real sense of Nostalgia. I haven't played a lot, as my PC is pretty old, but I've played and enjoyed the Baldur's Gate series. I liked Icewind Dale a bit less, and got pretty bored with Neverwinter Nights.

Planescape: Torment is certainly the best D&D based RPG that has ever been created, and probably one of the best RPGs ever made. It's one of the few games I can think of that contains a novelistic density of character, incident, and philosophical and thematic significance. You could study it as literature and write whole books on it, if it weren't so obscure. It also had some my favorite characters I've encountered anywhere (in literature, movies, etc.) and still moves me every time I play it.

The Fallout games are also both monumental in nearly every way. IMO, Fallout 1 probably deserves to be called the best RPG ever made. It's simply perfect.

Diablo and Dungeon Seige don't rate.

Vejita
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Nov 2005, 10:07 pm

RPGs ? it's my raison d'être ! I try to play every WE, i keep looking for new games every time... I do it for the fun, I always play mad people with an extremely gross behavior and vocabulary... I think it's my personality, but with now law or society to stop it ^^.

Do we have any gamemaster on the board ?

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2005, 10:05 pm

I am he, but my game is tied up on a forum that won't re-open until the 30th.

muddlinthrough
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2005, 8:35 pm

I started playing D&D fall of 77, with Tom Moldvay and Lawrence Schick. I loved it, espcially since designing scenarios let me use my anthropology background, but I was always to oshy to actually DM.When traveller came out I got into that too-I especially liked designing space ships, and even tried to ref once.But then I started to sink-maybe cause I was living by myself-and started waisting time rolling up world and characters to no purpoose.Finally ended up burning my traveller set in the fireplace to stop wasting time :( But I rememberIf you got the Book Habitable Planets for Man (Asimov, based on a Rand study) you could have a lot of fun expanding on stats for worlds creatively :)
So there was agood and bad side for me.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2005, 4:35 pm

Would there be any interest in starting an RP thread on here? ((I think so Thagomizer not to cut off my typing fingers I'd better add that it would be best not adhering to third edition D&D- don't ask me about specific, though- I know nothing; I wanna learn!))

ajs_line_of_silver
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2005, 5:53 pm

Quote:
Would there be any interest in starting an RP thread on here? ((I think so Thagomizer not to cut off my typing fingers I'd better add that it would be best not adhering to third edition D&D- don't ask me about specific, though- I know nothing; I wanna learn!))

There is nothing wrong with 3 ed if you are a brain dead monkey. Is this not a RP thread or do you mean something different?

Any one play white wolf?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 9:51 pm

If its like certain Final Fantasies and the such yeah, I can definitely have some fun at least with RPG's. Then again for me the days I really would have loved to immerse myself in things like AD&D and Rifts are kinda gone and it's ironic, I didn't know anyone who was into it back then and now that I do know people who are I'd still rather just play a real-time strategy, action, first-person-shooter, or racing game. Seems a lot of action games have that leveling-up concept as well; whether it's Onimusha, Devil May Cry, Dynasty Warriors, etc. and I get just as much if not more fun out of that right now.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 10:17 pm

muddlinthrough wrote:
I started playing D&D fall of 77, with Tom Moldvay......

I play all kinds of RPGs. Computer or table top. I love the table top, DnD, traveler, GURPS. Tom got some stuff published for TSR I think.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 10:24 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
If its like certain Final Fantasies and the such yeah, I can definitely have some fun at least with RPG's. Then again for me the days I really would have loved to immerse myself in things like AD&D and Rifts are kinda gone and it's ironic, I didn't know anyone who was into it back then and now that I do know people who are I'd still rather just play a real-time strategy, action, first-person-shooter, or racing game. Seems a lot of action games have that leveling-up concept as well; whether it's Onimusha, Devil May Cry, Dynasty Warriors, etc. and I get just as much if not more fun out of that right now.

I'm much the same way... I would've enjoyed playing a pen & paper RPG a lot more back when I was in high school... Here in college, I'm not as interested, and yet I still ended up befriending people who were into that kind of stuff... we play a Vampire: The Masquerade campaign now and again, and while I'm sorta enjoying it, I'm just not as into it as they seem to (it doesn't help that no matter how good my character's stats are for a given situation my dice rolls always suck.)

As for a game of Final Fantasy, I'd much rather play a shorter 8 hour long game than an 80 hour game... the length doesn't really seem to improve the experience or 'depth' anymore (either cos i'm getting older or because action games have improved... im not sure which) Plus, wise usage of time is of the utmost importance in college.

BTW, Onimusha was a cool game! I wasn't aware anyone else had played it, :o :lol:

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2005, 7:33 pm

I'm a self-confessed Final Fantasy junkie. I love the beautiful graphics and music, and elaborate storylines, and how you really understand the characters. I guess it's kind of my escapism, but I really like being able to drift off into another world like that. It's still my favourite way to kill 10 hours a day or so :P

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2005, 8:16 pm

ajs_line_of_silver wrote:
There is nothing wrong with 3 ed if you are a brain dead monkey. Is this not a RP thread or do you mean something different?

Any one play white wolf?

I meant actually RPing in a thread.