Page 134 of 281 [ 4487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 281  Next

RabidFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2016, 6:25 pm

I started to play Star Fox Zero and then I discovered that it was a remake of Star Fox 64. That made me really excited until I realized how difficult the game was. The first time the arwing switched to some kind of dinosaur, raptor thing... That was it for me. You would think that it would be easy, but it's actually way too hard to control the vehicle in dinosaur mode.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 6:29 pm

b9 wrote:
modern games are so dumbed down it is a shame.

Well not everyone is a "hardcore gamer" Y'know. :roll:

It appears you are experiencing a generation gap. Don't worry, it's pretty normal to feel like that. :wink:

Also, like I said before, not every gamer is as invested as many "hardcore gamers" are. Some gamers are just casual, and are easily discouraged by difficulty, which isn't good for sales in this day and age. Others are just new to video games and need a proper introduction to whatever genre they are playing (not every youngster knows that pressing the "A" button makes your character jump :wink: )

So the reason why games nowadays are "dumbed down" is because they are trying to appeal to the youngsters of today. Plain and simple.

And if still think that games being "dumbed down" is bad, let me ask you a question: Do you the the vast majority of the general public consist of "hardcore gamers"? I think not. And I think every video game could use every youngster it can get.

"Dumbing down" games is good for business y'know? :)

-Thomas Jefferson

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 6:43 pm

saxgeek wrote:
Super Monkey Ball. I still cannot get to Expert Extra because of that blasted Floor 21 on Expert. Screw whoever created that level.

Before From Software, There was Sega's Amusement Vision.

Before Demon's Souls amd Dark Souls, There was F-Zero GX/AX and Super Monkey Ball.

Thus began the modern age of insanely hard games.

-Thomas Jefferson

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 6:50 pm

Ty the Tasmanian Tiger

So far so good! The game's voice acting is top notch, gameplay is great and with no game breaking glitches (I'm looking at you Assassin's Creed Unity!).

Also, unlike the Sonic franchise, its story doesn't try too hard to be epic.

-Thomas Jefferson

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 8:02 pm

Been playing marvelheroes2016 wherein, I managed to level up 40 heroes to the max, as there is 18 heroes left to play, but that is going to take some time

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 12:49 am

:D

Last edited by staremaster on 08 Aug 2016, 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 1:27 am

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
b9 wrote:

i do not know what a hardcore gamer is with exact definition, but in my experience, hardcore gamers are people who like to play games that require exceptional levels of dexterity, and they like to play on line games so they can get their names up in lights on the leader boards etc. i am not a hard core gamer. i do play games all the time and it is what i always do after about 8pm until about 3am, but i am not an adrenaline surging rambo type.

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
It appears you are experiencing a generation gap. Don't worry, it's pretty normal to feel like that. :wink:
i do not know what that has to do with it. people are born every day of every year, so there are no definite boundaries between "generations", but anyway, that has nothing to do with what i said about dumbing down games to the point that they are not a challenge any more. some games are so pointless that they tell you where to click and then you click there, and then a cutscene plays and on you go to the next point and click invocation of a cutscene, and that is how the game progresses all the way through.

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
Also, like I said before, not every gamer is as invested as many "hardcore gamers" are. Some gamers are just casual, and are easily discouraged by difficulty, which isn't good for sales in this day and age.

i do not deny them the right to their genre of games. i know that the publishers make much more money making easy games, and that it is only natural for them to go down that track. but games i used to play like "age of empires" required thought and strategy, and as the series progressed through new releases, the game became stupid and pointless.
original fans of age of empires would cease to be customers of the newer versions, and newcomers are not familiar with the title so the game dies. yes it is inevitable that games will just become either idle time occupiers (like thumb operated games on phones while waiting at a bus stop) or mechanisms for social conglomeration like the pokemon go game.

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
Others are just new to video games and need a proper introduction to whatever genre they are playing (not every youngster knows that pressing the "A" button makes your character jump :wink: )

well all you have to do is read the key mapping explanation in the options section. i have no problem with games that steward you through the first few minutes (even up to an hour) with screen hints on what buttons to press to duck or to strafe or how to use weapons, but those games should then leave you to it when the initial tutorial is over.

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
So the reason why games nowadays are "dumbed down" is because they are trying to appeal to the youngsters of today. Plain and simple.

well in your defense of "youngsters", you insult them. the IQ of the population is rising, and there are very many extremely bright "youngsters" among them.
i was a "youngster" when i played my first games and they were challenging and satisfying for me to play in their non dumbed down state.
the problem is that people with average IQ's are the vast majority of the population, and marketing strategies have focused their attempts on roping in their dollars which is much more profitable than just the dollars of the bright and above bright.
everyone has computers these days, but back then in the 'olden days' (1999-2005) only people who were bright enough to want them got them. now they are a necessity of life so everyone has them and so the market has broadened to the degree that much more revenue can be accrued from the average people in the population.

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
And if still think that games being "dumbed down" is bad, let me ask you a question: Do you the the vast majority of the general public consist of "hardcore gamers"? I think not. And I think every video game could use every youngster it can get.

i am not able to formulate a comment to that because it is not a well compiled sentiment.

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:

yes. that it what it is. dollars and majority rules. i am not saying it is unnatural, but i do consider it from my subjective view as a shame.

-------------------------------------------------
anyway, to get back on to the topic, here is a puzzle from the sherlock holmes game i am playing.
i have to open a safe which has a 12 digit combination, and some time earlier in the game, i found a torn page from a newspaper with a puzzle in it, and i deduced that since the answer to the puzzle must be the combination of the safe, i set about solving it.
here is the puzzle. very satisfying, and there were no further clues associated with the puzzle.
i imagine it would take an IQ of about 130 or so to solve it.

Last edited by b9 on 08 Aug 2016, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 1:28 am

staremaster wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
b9 wrote:

That's right. No use complaining about it, it's just business. There's always retro games, sims, and indies for "hardcore gamers"

you got your quoting structure wrong. please correct it. i did not say what your quote of my quote imputes i said.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 2:10 am

b9 wrote:
staremaster wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
b9 wrote:

That's right. No use complaining about it, it's just business. There's always retro games, sims, and indies for "hardcore gamers"

you got your quoting structure wrong. please correct it. i did not say what your quote of my quote imputes i said.

Duly noted. Cheers.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 2:23 am

The modern industry standard seems to be: Multiplayer for hardcore, single player for whatever. I miss( and enjoy when I can find it) the experience of single player games putting up a fight.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 10:22 am

b9 wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
b9 wrote:

i do not know what a hardcore gamer is with exact definition, but in my experience, hardcore gamers are people who like to play games that require exceptional levels of dexterity, and they like to play on line games so they can get their names up in lights on the leader boards etc. i am not a hard core gamer. i do play games all the time and it is what i always do after about 8pm until about 3am, but i am not an adrenaline surging rambo type.

Well, what I meant by "hardcore gamer" are those who play insanely difficult games like Dark Souls or Super Monkey Ball.

b9 wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
i do not know what that has to do with it. people are born every day of every year, so there are no definite boundaries between "generations", but anyway, that has nothing to do with what i said about dumbing down games to the point that they are not a challenge any more. some games are so pointless that they tell you where to click and then you click there, and then a cutscene plays and on you go to the next point and click invocation of a cutscene, and that is how the game progresses all the way through.

You mean like this game?

...Yeah... I'm staring to understand what you mean; games that end up feeling like interactive movies, so much so that you wonder what's the point of its interactivity? :roll:

Also, what I meant by the "generation gap" is that older people usually tend to scorn newer concepts due to their revolutionary nature and/or how it goes against the traditions they are initially used to. (I.E. The idea of games being hard because only the brightest had computers back then vs. The idea of games being really easy due to the wide availability of computers, smartphones, ect.)

b9 wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
Also, like I said before, not every gamer is as invested as many "hardcore gamers" are. Some gamers are just casual, and are easily discouraged by difficulty, which isn't good for sales in this day and age.

i do not deny them the right to their genre of games. i know that the publishers make much more money making easy games, and that it is only natural for them to go down that track. but games i used to play like "age of empires" required thought and strategy, and as the series progressed through new releases, the game became stupid and pointless.
original fans of age of empires would cease to be customers of the newer versions, and newcomers are not familiar with the title so the game dies. yes it is inevitable that games will just become either idle time occupiers (like thumb operated games on phones while waiting at a bus stop) or mechanisms for social conglomeration like the pokemon go game.

Agreed. It's a real shame to see old franchises like Age of Empires deteriorate like that. I guess the best thing that can be done when making sequels to old franchises is not to add a number at the end of the title (people would probably feel discouraged to play said sequel because he/she feels the need to play the previous entries in order to understand the current game. This isn't usually true for every franchise (examples: Final Fantasy, Grand Turismo, Sid Meier's Civilization, ect.)

b9 wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
Others are just new to video games and need a proper introduction to whatever genre they are playing (not every youngster knows that pressing the "A" button makes your character jump :wink: )

well all you have to do is read the key mapping explanation in the options section. i have no problem with games that steward you through the first few minutes (even up to an hour) with screen hints on what buttons to press to duck or to strafe or how to use weapons, but those games should then leave you to it when the initial tutorial is over.

Agreed. Tutorials can be real annoying sometimes. The key to making good tutorial sections is modesty and freedom.

b9 wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:

well in your defense of "youngsters", you insult them. the IQ of the population is rising, and there are very many extremely bright "youngsters" among them.
i was a "youngster" when i played my first games and they were challenging and satisfying for me to play in their non dumbed down state.
the problem is that people with average IQ's are the vast majority of the population, and marketing strategies have focused their attempts on roping in their dollars which is much more profitable than just the dollars of the bright and above bright.
everyone has computers these days, but back then in the 'olden days' (1999-2005) only people who were bright enough to want them got them. now they are a necessity of life so everyone has them and so the market has broadened to the degree that much more revenue can be accrued from the average people in the population.

Well I meant no offense to any bright youngsters. :? I agree on your point about the market changing in order to attract the vast majority with a medium IQ. I guess it's a real shame since it makes it really hard for us "youngsters" to find any worthwhile games (that aren't influenced by market's obsession to appeal to the medium IQ audience.)

b9 wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:

i am not able to formulate a comment to that because it is not a well compiled sentiment.

I was actually trying to make the same argument you mentioned above. Sometimes my communication skills can screw up big time. :roll:

b9 wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:

yes. that it what it is. dollars and majority rules. i am not saying it is unnatural, but i do consider it from my subjective view as a shame.

I got no problem with that. :wink:

-Thomas Jefferson

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 10:26 am

staremaster wrote:
The modern industry standard seems to be: Multiplayer for hardcore, single player for whatever. I miss( and enjoy when I can find it) the experience of single player games putting up a fight.

You mean like Bioshock Infinite?

-Thomas Jefferson

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 10:48 am

^ I need to play that eventually. I'm thinking of doing 1999 mode for my first playthrough, since I like oldschool FPSs. Is there a way to enable it from the start on PC? (EDIT: Turns out there is, it's the Konami code, but with "cancel" and "confirm" instead of B and A)

Anyway, lately I've been playing Kbounce and Bastet, along with some Super Hexagon. I've also played a bit of Battle for Westnoth, and it's a lot more difficult than I expected it to be. :O

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 10:58 am

Bioshock infinite felt like it had a good difficultly on hard but I hate respawn in singleplayer games and would prefer to reload. Respawn makes it feel like there are no consequence for dying but it seems to cost a lot of money to die in 1999 mode so I might try that.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 11:36 am

Picked up Shadow of Mordor on a steam sale for $10 with all DLC.

So far, it's a hoot.

Tomorrow, I'll be playing No Man's Sky--if it isn't a bug-ridden mess.

ZombyWoof
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2016, 4:16 pm

Metroid Prime (Gamecube Version, used Wii Trilogy discs are too expensive and i don't have a WiiU for the download version)

i like this game. i even like the gamecube controls. i do NOT like the (for some reason) fuzzy output on my computer monitor (the other one doesn't have that and neither are CRTs, and i wish i had kept mine at least for older console titles).