Page 136 of 281 [ 4487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 281  Next

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 11:50 pm

Been playing a game called Forced Showdown. Ahhh, freaking fantastic. Right up my alley.

....or at least, I WOULD be playing it if I wasnt stuck with the worst piece of gaming equipment I've ever owned, AKA, the utter garbage PS4 controller. Seriously, these things are trash. I cant even count the number of these stupid things that I've been through. I dont even drop the useless junkheaps or anything. Since they're so freaking fragile, I tend to be VERY FREAKING CAREFUL with them. Doesnt help. After not all that long the useless heaps of derp start to go bad. Currently, right analog stick is dying (surprise), and so is the R2 button (golly gee, another unexpected surprise!) Just.... ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous.

This though is when I stop being careful with them, and simply destroy them. There's no fixing the worthless crapballs after they hit this point, so I may as well get some satisfaction out of it.

Good grief. It's like they specifically hired someone to figure out how to make these as broken and awful as they can be while at the same time SEEMING to work perfectly when you get them out of the box. Looks like a corporate sales tactic if I ever saw one.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2016, 5:11 pm

Are they really that bad? The PS3 controller, as well as being my favourite gamepad in general, has always been incredibly reliable for me and I'd hoped the PS4 controller would be the same.

Now, the 360 controller is another matter. Buttons get stuck on that thing all the time, analog sticks are prone to resting outside of the deadzone and the d-pad is so infamously poor that it doesn't warrant explanation.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 7:38 pm

Physically, the Xbox 360 controller's only design flaws are the bumpers, which have a tendency to wear out, and the d-pad which is useless for games requiring the kind of precision you'd normally expect from a d-pad. However, when one of these controllers is used on a PC, it suffers from two other problems; the deadzones on the analog sticks tend to be set way too low, causing movement when you're not even touching the sticks, and the triggers are by default configured to act as two halves of the same axis, making it impossible to use them independently in emulators. The two latter issues can be solved (somewhat) with third party drivers, but they tend to be a huge pain in the ass to get working, and when you configure each trigger to act as an independent button, they lose analog functionality.

Another thing, the Xbox 360 controller uses Xinput instead of DirectInput like pretty much all PC game pads before it, and unfortunately most PC games that have controller support nowadays assume that you're using an XB360 controller, so other controllers aren't nearly as well supported. If Micro$oft hadn't abandoned DirectInput, things would be a lot easier to deal with. Aside from occasional calibration issues, I can remember a time when USB PC gamepads were relatively painless to work with. Gameport stuff on the other hand, that's a different story, but the issues I had with gameport controllers usually weren't nearly as annoying as the issues I've experienced with the XB360 controller.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm still playing Battle for Wesnoth, though I've also managed to get Kobo Deluxe working by compiling it from a pkgbuild. For some reason the pre-compiled package segfaults for me, but it works just fine when I compile it myself. I even dug into the C++ code a little bit and found that I could (theoretically) modify it rather easily to map my own controls, but unfortunately recompiling from the pkgbuild overwrites any changes I make to the source, reverting things back to stock. It looks like I'm gonna have to learn how create a patch.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 1:04 am

Almajo88 wrote:
Are they really that bad? The PS3 controller, as well as being my favourite gamepad in general, has always been incredibly reliable for me and I'd hoped the PS4 controller would be the same.

Now, the 360 controller is another matter. Buttons get stuck on that thing all the time, analog sticks are prone to resting outside of the deadzone and the d-pad is so infamously poor that it doesn't warrant explanation.

Oh yes. The PS4 controller is bloody awful. I go through them like candy. If you're playing any sort of game that puts any amount of "stress" on the thing... such as fighting games with the constant rapid movements and button pressing (both the dpad and face buttons), or games that involve a whole lot of moving the sticks around quickly (such as twin-stick shooters in particular), they take damage pretty fast. The triggers also just dont seem to be able to keep going, period. And you dont have to be rough with them, either. This just happens normally. Players that are generally into slower games like RPGs will find that they last alot longer due to the lack of quick/wild movements.

I mean, I dont exactly equate "Sony" with "quality", not after the awful shoddy festival of crap that was the Slimline PS2, which I consider the single worst piece of electronics I've ever seen (I went through TEN of the little nightmares. Ten. And I was working at Gamestop at the time, and returns of those things, along with complaints, were very frequent). But that controller is still a little ridiculous.

Compare that with something like Nintendo's stuff, all of which is basically indestructible, and there's just no excuse for it.

Also yes the 360 controller is awful. I play a ton of bullet-hell shmups, and for the longest time they were ONLY on that awful thing. That genre requires a dpad; using an analog stick is like saying "please, hit me with bullets constantly, I really like losing". But the dpad on that thing.... ugh. It's freaking terrible. I also found that controller very uncomfortable to hold.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2016, 9:49 am

raisedbywookiees wrote:
The_Dark_Citadel wrote:
Exploding Kittens. NSFW version.

Love The Oatmeal! Any good? Is it 2 player playable?

Yes and 2-5 players.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2016, 9:53 am

Playing Eketorp, then follow up with Stronghold (new revision), Carcassonne (base game +River tiles) and Castles of King Ludwig (I don't say "mad" because it's both insensitive and not true).

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

27 Aug 2016, 3:11 pm

Last it was Jeopardy! 25th Anniversary Edition for the NES.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Elenajo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Aug 2016, 8:59 am

Flight simulator apps.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 4:59 am

I haven't had any problems with my ps4 controller but I don't generally play fighting games so who knows. I like it way better than past ps controllers anyway. Better sticks and triggers and a little wider.

Had been playing Gal Gun Double Peace because it looked like a dumb fun shooter dating sim parody but lately my time has been entirely taken up by Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Watched an LP of Human Revolution which inspired me to get it in the first place but I only got to the first boss myself before this one came out so I watched the rest. I'll probably finish it and replay MD before I play the first Deus Ex on ps2. Don't have a good computer right now unfortunately.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 9:28 pm

Been playing Condemned: Criminal Origins. Enjoying the well-designed environments and unique combat system. Also, the storyline is surprisingly well-paced for a popcorn 360 action game.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 3:37 am

Mainly Guild Wars 2, Metroid Prime and Worms W.M.D.

A few more games on the side.

Unicornsx1997x
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Sep 2016, 8:57 am

BO3 on ps4 :D

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2016, 6:55 pm

any and all kirby games i can get my hands on haha.

that and hyrule warriors legends....alot. its got hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours of content in it haha

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 12:17 am

I've been replaying through my Pokemon X version for the last few weeks or so now, and I'm super excited to bring over some of the Pokemon I've been training from that game over into the newer generation, (including my shiny, adamant natured Dusknoir). :P

Seriously, only took me sixty-one eggs through Masuda Method to get mine, so I'd say I was a lot more luckier than most. ;)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 12:59 am

Lot of Pokemon GO, since it gets me outside and walking around while it's still nice out.

- Rick Sanchez

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 2:03 pm

nioh beta demo... haven't played a playstation game that had me that intrigued and engaged in well over awhile, let alone a ps4 game(was a limited time online only demo, so it's probably unplayable now as the 6th is the cutoff). it's basically an action rpg(by tecmo, though, not ninja gaiden difficult), that's more an action game first, and has a stat fueled combo activated skill based rpg element coming in second, while it's setting is an old japan overrun with denizens from japanese folklore/mythology while you play role of a westerner wandering swordsman of sorts(personally, played mostly with a katana at low and medium stances and a great-axe/hammer in it's high stance, and dumped much of the rest of my stat points unrelated to such weapons into dex/ninjitsu for ninja-powers/speed/evasion, and spirit to augment his spirit familiar).