What is your favourite type of Eevee evo?

Page 3 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 3:30 am

Tensu wrote:
Vaporeon!

Water absorb owns!

I vanguard my double-battle team with the vaporeon brothers.

Torrent, the eldest, has lower special attack, but all his other stats are higher. his moves are:

Surf
Brine
Aqua ring
Acid armor

Tide, the younger, has higher special attack, but all his other stats are lower

Surf
Ice beam
Aqua ring
Mist

It is very hard to take down the vaporeon brothers when they keep healing each other with surf.

I feel so stupid now for never having used an area attack like this. :)

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 3:25 pm

Vaporeon
I was never into Pokemon but these were my favorites becuase they were just so cute and pretty. Buziels/floatzels are my favorites today but only because they remind me of meerkats. Aside from them, vaporeons are my all time favorite pokemons.

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2010, 11:50 pm

Tensu wrote:
Vaporeon!

Water absorb owns!

Torrent, the eldest, has lower special attack, but all his other stats are higher. his moves are:

Surf
Brine
Aqua ring
Acid armor

Surf
Ice beam
Aqua ring
Mist

It is very hard to take down the vaporeon brothers when they keep healing each other with surf.

Do you ever have difficulties regarding type matchups? I mean, it must be pretty difficult to quickly take down an opponent's Pokemon without a wide variety of attack types. I like the healing combos though! :)

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 6:01 am

BeauZa wrote:
Tensu wrote:
Vaporeon!

Water absorb owns!

Surf
Brine
Aqua ring
Acid armor

Surf
Ice beam
Aqua ring
Mist

Do you ever have difficulties regarding type matchups? I mean, it must be pretty difficult to quickly take down an opponent's Pokemon without a wide variety of attack types. I like the healing combos though! :)

Since there is an Ice Beam in there, only other Water types and pokemon with high Sp. Defense should be particularly frustrating to wear down. Still, I would personally exchange Brine for something else.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 11:19 am

You guys do know that in french "espion" means "spy"? :p

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 11:28 am

phil777 wrote:
You guys do know that in french "espion" means "spy"? :p

Yes that is true but I believe that they are play on the acronym ESP and adding ion to the end to it.

Physically Espion resembles a Japanese mythical creature called a Bakeneko which is in lore a cat that has exceeded 10 years old grows a second tail and attained powers like shape shifting, human speech, and psychic-like abilities.

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Mar 2010, 11:47 pm

Ebonwinter wrote:
Yes that is true but I believe that they are play on the acronym ESP and adding ion to the end to it.

Physically Espion resembles a Japanese mythical creature called a Bakeneko which is in lore a cat that has exceeded 10 years old grows a second tail and attained powers like shape shifting, human speech, and psychic-like abilities.

It's so amazing how every Pokemon can have such a deep implication or reference to a real-life thing... or at least a mythological being. It really builds your confidence to know that they don't just toss some Pokemon together to build numbers but are actually giving a lot of thought into it. Another reason why Pokemon is blessed! :3

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 11:59 pm

BeauZa wrote:
Ebonwinter wrote:

It's so amazing how every Pokemon can have such a deep implication or reference to a real-life thing... or at least a mythological being. It really builds your confidence to know that they don't just toss some Pokemon together to build numbers but are actually giving a lot of thought into it. Another reason why Pokemon is blessed! :3

Well, there are Pokémon like Luvdisc; those were made basically only to give the Ruby/Sapphire games an infinite supply of Heart Scales so you could reteach moves to Pokémon as often as you liked. But even that serves an in-game purpose. They do a good job of giving most Pokémon a unique typing or base-stat combination, or even a unique ability.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 10:59 am

pat2rome wrote:
BeauZa wrote:
Ebonwinter wrote:

Well, there are Pokémon like Luvdisc; those were made basically only to give the Ruby/Sapphire games an infinite supply of Heart Scales so you could reteach moves to Pokémon as often as you liked. But even that serves an in-game purpose. They do a good job of giving most Pokémon a unique typing or base-stat combination, or even a unique ability.

Tats why earlier in this thread I said I was hoping for more myth based pokemon like one based on a Wendi-go. Shiftree is based on a Tengu
you can tell from the nose sandal like feet and the fans for hands. I believe Lapras is based on the Loch Ness monster.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 1:24 pm

Since we're on this topic anyway, I might as well have a glance at the old 'dex.

Ye olde Char-family has a basis in the flaming salamander, and in the final stage resembles a kind of european firebreathing dragon.

Vulpix and Ninetales stem from certain japanese myths regarding foxes.

I suppose Meowth even poses like a lucky "beckoning cat".

Golduck is a kappa.

Arcanine seems to be a Kirin.

I guess Uri Geller doesn't count, huh? :)

Arguably Golem, but there are much better examples of that myth.

Drowzee is just a tapir, but the relevant myth is that tapirs eat dreams.

Carps turn into dragons if they supersalt the Dragon Gate - hence the hardworking Magikarp's transformation into Gyarados.

Lapras does look like a generic lake monster.

Zapdos is a thunderbird, and Moltres a phoenix.

Espeon has already been noted for its connection to the japanese grimalkin.

Dunsparce takes most of its traits from old folktales of a strange snake.

Sneasel has similarities to a Kamaitachi yokai.

Care to guess what inspired Delibird? :)

Houndoom just seems to be a generic hellhound.

Ho-oh is pretty much the japanese name for the chinese Feng Huang. So yeah.

Ludicolo and Lombre do share some Kappa-like traits, but Ludicolo is very, very bizarre. :)

Shiftry, yeah. It even has the appropriate temper.

Whiscash is based on a catfish that caused earthquakes. I note that it can learn Foresight. In some tellings, it only predicts earthquakes.

Absol is physically near identical to the Kutabe or Bai Ze.

The Regis are more golem-like than Golem.

Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza fit into the myth of Leviathan, Behemoth and Ziz - if you disregard their physical appearance: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... eh-Ziz.jpg
However, these appearances had been reinterpreted many times before the pokemon.

Infernape has some likeness to Sun Wukong.

The Gible family might be a reference to the modern notion of a landshark. May not count.

Abomasnow is an abominable snowman.

Frosslass is probably an enchanting snow woman.

I tried to limit this to the most glaring examples.

Last edited by PLA on 03 Mar 2010, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 2:22 pm

Vaporeon is my favorite, followed by Jolteon.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 3:59 pm

Aurore wrote:
Vaporeon is my favorite, followed by Jolteon.

Vaporeon was my first, if memory serves. Man, Blue was a long time ago.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 4:28 pm

Yeah I forgot about those and Rotom is a loose concept of a gremlin.

I love to see different cultures mythic creatures.

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2010, 11:17 pm

pat2rome wrote:
Well, there are Pokémon like Luvdisc; those were made basically only to give the Ruby/Sapphire games an infinite supply of Heart Scales so you could reteach moves to Pokémon as often as you liked.

True dat! That's another thing... what with about 500 Pokemon at this point in time, it is very easy to remember one single Pokemon as an odd-one-out! They all just blend in with each other! ^^;
My knowledge of each and every Pokemon, unfortunately, has gone to the dogs.

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2010, 11:25 pm

Ebonwinter wrote:
Shiftree is based on a Tengu
you can tell from the nose sandal like feet and the fans for hands. I believe Lapras is based on the Loch Ness monster.

That's pretty cool that! :D
I'd say LAPRAS is a likeness of the Loch Ness... monster! ^_^
And BONSLY is based on a bonsai, yeeeeaaaaahhh??? :3

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2010, 11:40 pm

PLA wrote:
I suppose Meowth even poses like a lucky "beckoning cat".

Golduck is a kappa.

Drowzee is just a tapir, but the relevant myth is that tapirs eat dreams.

Carps turn into dragons if they supersalt the Dragon Gate - hence the hardworking Magikarp's transformation into Gyarados.

You've made some very interesting points in your post, and here are some of my favourites that I quoted above. ^_^
Did you already know about these from past sleuthing or did you look 'em up?

PLA wrote:
Care to guess what inspired Delibird? :)

Ohhh, I knooooow! Santa Clause...? :3