Games you hate that everybody raves about

Page 4 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

HamtaroCappy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2014, 2:47 pm

GTA
I just personally don't see what's so great about it
LOZ: Skyward Sword
Everything's so different, the game seems out of place to me....
Mario Party
I always end up bored when playing this and wish I were playing something else. I'm not that much of a multiplayer person, anyways.
My brother plays this nearly 24/7, but I just don't see why. It's just a number puzzle game that has existed in many forms prior. I could say the same about Candy Crush and Flappy Bird.
Fantasy MMOs
I've never really been into the fantasy-type stuff, and most of them are way too complicated and require tons of updates.
Call of Duty
Way overrated. I can't really say anything that hasn't been said.
Halo
I can't say I didn't like it, but I did get tired of it quickly when a friend showed me.
Wii games with motion control
...Because, you know, who needs buttons when you can shake a stick?

Just off the top of my head.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 4:39 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
Even though I consider the Bioshock series to be vastly overrated, I saw Bioshock Infinite on sale for $20 and figured I might as well try it. Well, so far the game is downright awful and it's a chore to play. I also never saw what the appeal of the Mass Effect series was. Nothing special as far as I'm concerned and $20 was too much to spend on it!

Mass Effect has a great story, though I don't usually like shooters.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 6:31 pm

Call of f*****g Duty. Activision has milked the franchise dry; they release the same game every year, with slightly upgraded graphics--alternating between nazis, Robocop lookalikes, and terrorists. If it was released by EA, everyone would agree.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 11:59 am

Any Fifa/PES game
CoD/Battlefield games
Mass Effect serie
That new South Park game
Uncharted serie
League of Legends/DOTA
Bioshock serie
Games about creating and managing cities/worlds/armies (Like Age of Empires, Simcity and stuff like that)
Persona games
The Sims
GTA
Any casual/social game like that candy crush thing.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 2:18 pm

I really don't get what the big deal about Minecraft is. I've now even seen big plush toys of those "creepers" or whatever they're called, the name is fitting anyway. and guide books for playing it at the store. I know it takes more than pretty graphics to make a good game but everything is so blocky and pixel-ly and UGLY. I do like "retro" type games but mainly if they're 2-D. I still remember back in the 90's when 3-D polygon games came out and most of them were terrible, but they've improved a lot since then. Minecraft looks like they took the worst things from both dimensions. And from the videos I've seen on Youtube it looks like people really love to troll, annoy and even bully people who are "noobs", and heaven help me if I mentioned I was female, I've heard the horror stories about female gamers getting death threats and stuff. I don't get these "social" games where anyone can talk to you during play and say practically anything they want. Even when they don't say anything bad I feel really uncomfortable. I like my own little private worlds of Sims and cartoon animals even though I occasionally upload videos.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

18 Jun 2014, 4:01 pm

Call of Duty. It's been mentioned time and time again, but I have to say I hate it too.
FIFA/Madden/sports games in general. I mean, what's the point???
Casual/Social games like Candy Crush. Ugh. That game drives me insane.

I don't get why a lot of people are putting Shadow of the Colossus and Ico on here. I got a lot of enjoyment out of both of them. I guess it's all a matter of opinion. :?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 9:48 pm

Original Wipeout. WTF??

The ultimate in Style over Substance?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 10:10 pm

DeepHour wrote:
Original Wipeout. WTF??

The ultimate in Style over Substance?

The original Wipeout wasn't the greatest, but I like some of the later entries in the series. I agree however that the series does really emphasize style over substance, in that it has great music and graphic design, but relatively simplistic gameplay.

WellThatsDantastic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jul 2014, 6:21 pm

Assasin's Creed.

In 6th class, I was sat for half a year beside another person with Autism (We were the only diagnosed people in our year, me with Asperger's, him with Autism). He never did his work, and would draw the assasin's symbol all over his arm. He'd throw stuff at me and pretend to be shooting us in our class with a ruler. Real chav-type kid. He insisted that the game was REAL, and that you were actually controlling an assasin. *Facepalm* This is why I never played Assasin's creed...

Other than that, I was extremely disappointed with FFXIII and FFXIII-2. I feel like it was just empty apart from the graphics, and too..cliché. Just nothing compared to some of the previous ones.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 11:28 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I really don't get what the big deal about Minecraft is. I've now even seen big plush toys of those "creepers" or whatever they're called, the name is fitting anyway. and guide books for playing it at the store. I know it takes more than pretty graphics to make a good game but everything is so blocky and pixel-ly and UGLY. I do like "retro" type games but mainly if they're 2-D. I still remember back in the 90's when 3-D polygon games came out and most of them were terrible, but they've improved a lot since then. Minecraft looks like they took the worst things from both dimensions. And from the videos I've seen on Youtube it looks like people really love to troll, annoy and even bully people who are "noobs", and heaven help me if I mentioned I was female, I've heard the horror stories about female gamers getting death threats and stuff. I don't get these "social" games where anyone can talk to you during play and say practically anything they want. Even when they don't say anything bad I feel really uncomfortable. I like my own little private worlds of Sims and cartoon animals even though I occasionally upload videos.

It's not a "social" game.... not even close. Iv'e heard some funky misconceptions about Minecraft before, but.... I've never heard THAT one. The game in it's normal form is played OFFLINE, in single-player. I dunno where you're getting these horror stories from, but I've a hard time believing they come from THAT community. As for the trolls.... better believe every single online game ever has those. They're only a problem if the server admin is a moron, reallly. Though, again.... that's for online play only.

I've played the game absolutely to freaking death myself (that it has 10 bazillion mods helps) and of the hundreds of hours I've put into the game, MAYBE exactly 2 of those hours involved online play. That's it. As with you, I prefer to keep my own world to myself.

As for the LOOK of the game, that bit is on purpose. Aint gonna be for everyone, but still. I tend to look at it in the opposite way from what you do: I like the way this game looks (as wella s the retro games you mention) but give me most modern console games, and I'm gonna easily point out a few that I think are all sorts of ugly. Gears of War, for instance. Or most FPS games.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2014, 3:44 am

Misery wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

It's not a "social" game.... not even close. Iv'e heard some funky misconceptions about Minecraft before, but.... I've never heard THAT one. The game in it's normal form is played OFFLINE, in single-player. I dunno where you're getting these horror stories from, but I've a hard time believing they come from THAT community. As for the trolls.... better believe every single online game ever has those. They're only a problem if the server admin is a moron, reallly. Though, again.... that's for online play only.

I've played the game absolutely to freaking death myself (that it has 10 bazillion mods helps) and of the hundreds of hours I've put into the game, MAYBE exactly 2 of those hours involved online play. That's it. As with you, I prefer to keep my own world to myself.

As for the LOOK of the game, that bit is on purpose. Aint gonna be for everyone, but still. I tend to look at it in the opposite way from what you do: I like the way this game looks (as wella s the retro games you mention) but give me most modern console games, and I'm gonna easily point out a few that I think are all sorts of ugly. Gears of War, for instance. Or most FPS games.

From what I've seen, most people who play Minecraft regularly play it in multiplayer.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2014, 3:55 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Misery wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

From what I've seen, most people who play Minecraft regularly play it in multiplayer.

That's only seen in videos, really. Singleplayer is usually not recorded because it's hard to come up with commentary; very few Youtubers and such have managed to make single-player commentary interesting.

The vast majority of the playerbase either A: doesnt care, B: doesnt wanna deal with lag or griefers or data-smashing server crashes (all of which are a major possibility), or C: cannot get online with the game (it's notoriously wonky online, though it's getting a bit better). PARTICULARLY when it comes to mods. If you're a mod-user (and there are ALOT of them), you play offline, 95% of the time. Getting mods onto servers is a MONSTROUS pain in the ass. Hell, getting some mods into your singleplayer setup can be annoying enough.... I can remember days where I would sit there for like 3 hours yelling at the screen while trying to get the accursed things to do as they were supposed to.

And of course some play both equally.

And it ALSO depends on what KIND of server you're playing on, when you are playing online. If you're playing on a "pure" survival server.... as in not modded, and without special server gameplay changes, then there'll be a fair amount of social contact (er, usually.... sometimes you still get a server where nobody really talks much).... but typically only with whatever group you choose (usually small groups) or with friends. If you're playing a minigame server, which have become stupidly popular recently, dont expect much in the way of chatting in most games.... it's all about competition there, more like the usual multiplayer found in all sorts of games.

And finally, many that do multiplayer ONLY play directly with friends, which typically means that one person in that group of direct friends is running the server themselves. This is the preferred form of multiplayer when it comes to survival, because you already know everyone, can talk to them totally normally, and you dont have to worry about griefers and such. THAT one is generally a pretty pleasant experience. THough my personal favorite, on the occaision when I actually go online with it, is the minigame stuffs. They're hilarious, and can use rule changes and gameplay changes WITHOUT using mods, for example the "Egg Spleef" game (which is particularly hilarious) gives each player a shovel that shoots eggs, which delete cloth blocks that they hit, the idea being to break the floors underneath your opponents and drop them to their doom while not being dropped yourself.

While I usually do single-player I will say that multiplayer stuffs, regardless of your preference as to which type, can be very fun. Even if you'd rather do singleplayer most of the time, it's very much worth at least giving it a try.

Iloveharrystyles01
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2014, 2:41 pm

I hate this one game that I play on the wii.The game is called SpongeBob Squarepants presents nicktoons the glob of doom.I mean it is hard to complete and I keep on dying when I play as SpongeBob Squarepants or the girl.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 5:46 pm

Okay, I've got another one: Eve Online.

Seriously, this game might as well be called "Menu screens: The Game", because that's where you spend 90% of your time, is in a bazillion little windows full of menus and icons.

And then the rest of it is divided up between watching your ship travel VERY VERY SLOWLY across the galaxy (and you do not interact with it or DO anything during this), and maybe mining or docking or occaisionally sort of fighting something.

But just.... ugh. Really, I just dont get the appeal of this one.

aleister
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2014, 11:23 pm

League Of Legends
Halo
Madden
Mario Kart
Call Of Duty
Destiny
Angry Birds
Candy Crush
Farmville

^games that i hate... had to add that so no one thinks i like these games *yuck*

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 1:11 am

Most, because I'm old-school (8-bit/16-bit :D )