Games you hate that everybody raves about

Page 5 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 3:49 am

Misery wrote:
Okay, I've got another one: Eve Online.

Seriously, this game might as well be called "Menu screens: The Game", because that's where you spend 90% of your time, is in a bazillion little windows full of menus and icons.

And then the rest of it is divided up between watching your ship travel VERY VERY SLOWLY across the galaxy (and you do not interact with it or DO anything during this), and maybe mining or docking or occaisionally sort of fighting something.

But just.... ugh. Really, I just dont get the appeal of this one.

A friend tried getting me into that one once. I found it to be painfully tedious to play. I think it's the last MMO I ever tried, and that was around 4 years ago.

OvnR
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Aug 2014, 3:57 pm

League of Legends...

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 2:06 am

Iloveharrystyles01 wrote:
I hate this one game that I play on the wii.The game is called SpongeBob Squarepants presents nicktoons the glob of doom.I mean it is hard to complete and I keep on dying when I play as SpongeBob Squarepants or the girl.

...pretty sure nobody likes those crappy Nicktoons games. Personally, I hate anything & everything related to Spongebob though...can't understand how that piece of shtako is remotely popular....

I also have another one to add, though I don't so much hate it as I'm just not into it: Doom 3. The first 2 Doom games are quite fun, but 3 is just lame jump scares & confusing maps IMO...gonna try to beat it before I trade in my BFG edition for 360 though.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 7:34 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Misery wrote:
Okay, I've got another one: Eve Online.

Seriously, this game might as well be called "Menu screens: The Game", because that's where you spend 90% of your time, is in a bazillion little windows full of menus and icons.

And then the rest of it is divided up between watching your ship travel VERY VERY SLOWLY across the galaxy (and you do not interact with it or DO anything during this), and maybe mining or docking or occaisionally sort of fighting something.

But just.... ugh. Really, I just dont get the appeal of this one.

A friend tried getting me into that one once. I found it to be painfully tedious to play. I think it's the last MMO I ever tried, and that was around 4 years ago.

Yeah, you definitely aint missing anything by not playing that one. It's just so bloody boring.

The really sad part though is that it IS the single most creative MMO out there right now, ever since the hideous evil known as World of Warcraft came out and single-handedly corrupted the entire genre. I'd loved MMOs up till then. And then WoW hit. Now, the entire genre is a sad shadow of what it used to be because assorted corporate idiots are too damn stupid to come up with ideas other than "I know! Here's what we'll do: We'll make an MMO of our own, and then... wait for it.... COPY WORLD OF WARCRAFT. It'll print money, because WoW prints money!".

That it didnt work the last 80 times someone tried never seems to stop new attempts at it.

The only exceptions are Korean MMOs, but those tend to follow a similar trend of copying certain ones (they all seem to play alot like Ragnarok Online).

Quote:
...pretty sure nobody likes those crappy Nicktoons games. Personally, I hate anything & everything related to Spongebob though...can't understand how that piece of shtako is remotely popular....

I also have another one to add, though I don't so much hate it as I'm just not into it: Doom 3. The first 2 Doom games are quite fun, but 3 is just lame jump scares & confusing maps IMO...gonna try to beat it before I trade in my BFG edition for 360 though.

Agreed, Doom 3 was AWFUL.

It may as well have just had a different name and ditched the Doom license altogether, because it played NOTHING like the first two and went from "fast paced action shooter full of awesome" to "yet another stupid survival horror game with dirt-slow pacing". Ugh. Couldnt stand it. Right around then is where I just dropped the FPS genre altogether.

TranzteKk
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Aug 2014, 6:42 pm

For me, games I hate/dislike but everyone loves:

1. The Last of Us
2. Borderlands series
3. Zelda
4. TES except Skyrim

5. KIND OF Pokemon......... I like it but it's definitely not what it used to be and I hate how people go on about it like it's the best thing ever still.. It's okay, but doesn't deserve the praise.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 11:30 pm

Fallout 3

It's not a bad game, it's just not a Fallout game.

Luckily, Beth let the guys working on the original Fallout 3 package up their stuff (with some modifications) and release it as New Vegas. Which showed that you can make a good Fallout RPG in first person.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 12:34 am

TranzteKk wrote:

1. The Last of Us
2. Borderlands series
3. Zelda
4. TES except Skyrim

5. KIND OF Pokemon......... I like it but it's definitely not what it used to be and I hate how people go on about it like it's the best thing ever still.. It's okay, but doesn't deserve the praise.

I've never played The Last of Us, but I'm very, very tired of people hyping it up like it's the greatest thing ever. All I know about it is that it's some survival-horror thing with OMGZOMBIES, and if you ask me the whole zombie apocalypse thing has gotten really, really old.

As far as Borderlands, I've played a bit of the first game, and while it has some cool things going for it, one thing I don't like about it is how the game blatantly gives you directions for the quests you have to complete. Now, I understand that this might be a good thing for people suited to more linear games, but I find that half the fun of these sort of games is figuring out exactly where I need to go to complete these quests. When I'm being spoon-fed directions, it just doesn't feel as compelling. There are other things as well like the insanely long download time, and the fact that it takes up so much hard drive space compared to my other games, though those issues don't really hold any water for most people, who have faster connections and bigger hard drives than I do, or console versions that don't need to be downloaded and installed in the first place.

With Zelda, I can understand where you're coming from. The series has been a favorite of mine for a long time, but truth be told, I've never had the patience to finish any games in the series, nor do I see the appeal of most of the newer games. The old games are still pretty fun though, and ironically, A Link Between Worlds, the newest game in the series, is by far my favorite, simply because it goes back to the roots of the older games while introducing some novel elements that keep things fresh and interesting.

I've never played any of the Elder Scrolls games, and while I've considered trying them on several occasions, the epic scope of the games, plus all of the bugs they have, intimidate me. I actually bought Skyrim when it was at a really cheap price during a Steam sale, but I still haven't touched it. I kind of wish I had gotten it with the DLC, as I've heard that they are vital to have.

I remember when the Pokemon craze first started, I was about 5 or 6 years old, and I didn't have a GameBoy, nor did I understand the card game the one time one of my babysitter's kids tried to show me how to play, but I was absolutely in love with the cartoon (well, really an anime, but I wouldn't hold it to "anime" standards :P). Later, in an attempt to seem older and more sophisticated, when I was 7-8 I almost refused to have anything to do with it, but then one of my babysitters gave me his old copy of Pokemon Red as a birthday present, to go with my shiny new GBA (odd combo, but whatever, I didn't mind playing old games on a new system). I figured I may as well give it a try, and I was hooked. It was the first RPG I ever played, and it was just plain fun. I never got into trading or any of the multiplayer, but I definitely enjoyed it. My enjoyment ran out when I found out it only had one save slot, and one of my friends overwrote it without me realizing. I shelved it and didn't look back for a long time, but once in a while, I still get this nostalgic urge to play.

flyingninja123
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Aug 2014, 10:26 am

Here is a list:
1. Any mmo world of warcraft, Eve online etc.
2. Sports games
3. Minecraft
4. Terraria
5. Most casual games.

I find the looks on people's faces, when I tell them hilarious. :D

TranzteKk
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Aug 2014, 3:23 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
TranzteKk wrote:

1. The Last of Us
2. Borderlands series
3. Zelda
4. TES except Skyrim

I've never played The Last of Us, but I'm very, very tired of people hyping it up like it's the greatest thing ever. All I know about it is that it's some survival-horror thing with OMGZOMBIES, and if you ask me the whole zombie apocalypse thing has gotten really, really old.

As far as Borderlands, I've played a bit of the first game, and while it has some cool things going for it, one thing I don't like about it is how the game blatantly gives you directions for the quests you have to complete. Now, I understand that this might be a good thing for people suited to more linear games, but I find that half the fun of these sort of games is figuring out exactly where I need to go to complete these quests. When I'm being spoon-fed directions, it just doesn't feel as compelling. There are other things as well like the insanely long download time, and the fact that it takes up so much hard drive space compared to my other games, though those issues don't really hold any water for most people, who have faster connections and bigger hard drives than I do, or console versions that don't need to be downloaded and installed in the first place.

With Zelda, I can understand where you're coming from. The series has been a favorite of mine for a long time, but truth be told, I've never had the patience to finish any games in the series, nor do I see the appeal of most of the newer games. The old games are still pretty fun though, and ironically, A Link Between Worlds, the newest game in the series, is by far my favorite, simply because it goes back to the roots of the older games while introducing some novel elements that keep things fresh and interesting.

I've never played any of the Elder Scrolls games, and while I've considered trying them on several occasions, the epic scope of the games, plus all of the bugs they have, intimidate me. I actually bought Skyrim when it was at a really cheap price during a Steam sale, but I still haven't touched it. I kind of wish I had gotten it with the DLC, as I've heard that they are vital to have.

I remember when the Pokemon craze first started, I was about 5 or 6 years old, and I didn't have a GameBoy, nor did I understand the card game the one time one of my babysitter's kids tried to show me how to play, but I was absolutely in love with the cartoon (well, really an anime, but I wouldn't hold it to "anime" standards :P). Later, in an attempt to seem older and more sophisticated, when I was 7-8 I almost refused to have anything to do with it, but then one of my babysitters gave me his old copy of Pokemon Red as a birthday present, to go with my shiny new GBA (odd combo, but whatever, I didn't mind playing old games on a new system). I figured I may as well give it a try, and I was hooked. It was the first RPG I ever played, and it was just plain fun. I never got into trading or any of the multiplayer, but I definitely enjoyed it. My enjoyment ran out when I found out it only had one save slot, and one of my friends overwrote it without me realizing. I shelved it and didn't look back for a long time, but once in a while, I still get this nostalgic urge to play.

I am glad someone else, besides me, thinks that the zombie thing is getting old. Personally I never saw the appeal of zombies in the first place... they're mumbling klutzes that look disgusting.. but that's it, not really scary in my opinion or appealing in any way. Of course this is my opinion anyway. When it comes to that kind of thing I really like games that have paranormal activity, demonic forces (Silent Hill for example), aliens, or something of the sort. But zombies are overdone and it's a joke as a "fad." Regarding TLOU I also agree... it's hyped way too much.. which is why I dislike it because it tends to seem that any game that isn't TLOU is inferior and, thus, stupid..

I can see where you're coming from with Borderlands. My reasoning for not liking it is because, like TLOU, it's hyped a lot between the fanbase and others. Another such reason is that it's too linear and not "open world" enough for a game of that calibur.. which is why I like, as much as many people may hate it, Destiny a lot more.. it's more MMO/RPG like and has a story line along with an open-world atmosphere and gameplay. I also found the skill system in Borderlands quite boring and didn't like the humor, which I thought was really too dry for me. Yet again I don't find most humor funny unless it's heavily on the satire side of things.

See the reasoning for The Last of Us for my dislike towards Zelda.. everyone I've known praised it and made it sound like that if it wasn't Zelda, it was not a good game.. and that ruined the series for me.. in which I don't even like the newer games anyway. I believe Link's Awakening was my favorite.. I liked the top-down Zelda games.. not so much the others.. and I never got into the lore either. I know some people who are so heavy into the lore that it's scary to me... I don't even find it appealing, personally.. but I don't judge others for liking it! I'm just not a fan. :)

I think you should give Skyrim a try sometime. It is very overwhelming and intimidating.. but the bugs/glitches aren't as prevalent as they used to be and you sort of get a feel for a massive world with no rules after a while. I haven't touched Skyrim in a few months because I still get overwhelmed at times.

I loved Pokemon until Ruby/Sapphire.. and then it kind of died down for me. I still don't like the fact that people hold it high to the point where if it's not Pokemon, it's awful. Personally, for me, I think the number of Pokemon and the complexity of the newer games makes it way too complicated and overwhelming and silly.

Thanks for giving some insight though, perhaps I should've listed WHY I didn't like the games I listed above.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 10:57 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

This one I can actually speak for.

The thing about Borderlands is that the underlying design that absolutely every aspect is based on does NOT lend itself well to quests. Nor should it... it's not the sort of game that is ever meant to focus on that. The game is a Diablo-style RPG. The fact that it's an FPS does not even remotely come close to changing this. In that sort of game, "complicated" quests only serve to slow things down and detract from the REAL focus, which is the loot. There's a reason why you find 10 bazillion different weapons and such in the game, and that's because they are literally the entire point of every aspect of the gameplay, just like any other game in this subgenre. Diablo 3.... and all the games that mimic the Diablo series... is exactly the same: The quests are very bare-bones, and only exist to lead you towards some sort of boss encounter where you stand a chance of getting unusually special loot, as well as being the sort of encounter that you prepare entire builds for, adding more depth. The linearity also serves to make it easier to know just what sort of overall power/danger level each area has, allowing you to further prepare, and to get an idea as to if your current character is ready for it, and just how much you need to do to GET ready. THAT is where the true depth of such a game resides, as figuring out the best builds to use is NOT easy, and a well-balanced game of this type will leave players arguing endlessly, as none of them can truly agree on what the "best" builds are... so it ends up being up to each individual player to figure out what is best for them. It's akin to solving a difficult puzzle.... just as the sort of quests you want would be.

Of course, that's all in a well-done and balanced game of that type. There are those that have gotten it horribly wrong and ended up being truly mindless. Either way, that's the true point of a game like that and why it is designed in the way that it is.

JerryM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Aug 2014, 1:10 am

Can't think of any that I specifically HATE per se... There are some that I found underwhelming compared to popular belief. But here's my list of hated games I love:

-Zelda 2 (fantastic game just a bit hard)
-SMB2j
-Final Fantasy VIII
-DMC2
-Tenchu Z

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 1:06 pm

TranzteKk wrote:

1. The Last of Us
2. Borderlands series
3. Zelda
4. TES except Skyrim

I beated The Last of Us some weeks ago (you can see that i was not even a bit anxious to play it) and i was really surprised.
I agree that the zombie apocalyptic theme is something that a lot of us are already tired to see/read about, but playing TLOU was surely different from what i was expecting. In my opinion the game was more focused on the morale aspect and about how mean anyone can be when our survival is putted on trial than "just" surviving in a post apocalyptic world. The history is not the most original thing on the earth but the way that the game present it to you is somewhat unique, and there is also an atmosphere that leaves us tense all the time, and never really happy or tranquilized.
During almost the entire the game i hated way more the others humans than the zombies lol

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 4:58 pm

I like the old Final Fantasys, but hate the new ones. Most people like the new ones better.
I hate modern FPS, especially COD. Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, and Doom are good.
I like the old Elder Scrolls.
I hate the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword with a passion. I dislike the DS Zelda Games. I did love Wind Waker, but I hate how it is placed in the Hyrule Historia. Actually, I hate the Hyrule Historia, the book is nonsensical.
I love a lot of obscure games no one has heard about.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 8:41 pm

Pretty much every new A++ title now that gets rave reviews. I just think "Been there, done that..and it was better too". Western rpgs and narrative heavy games, like Bioshock Infinite, are notorious for this. I enjoyed BS:I for instance, don't hate it, but completely overrated like the whole series.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 10:46 pm

Most recently...probably GTAV, MGSV, and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. The first two I already knew would be overhyped ****, but ALBW was quite a surprising disappointment for all the earned praise the series usually gets. An extremely structured "open" world is not worth having an awful story.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 1:11 am

Who actually plays Zelda for the story?