Page 5 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2008, 2:29 pm

windscar15 wrote:

Quote:
If you wanna talk old-school RPGs than mention Xenogears.

It's basically a book built into a game. It made me an atheist from playing it, because of the religious criticisms that the plotline dealt with. If you're an anime fan, especially a gundam fan, play this. Not only can you fight with characters, but you can also use mecha in battles. The game's price has gone up though. Most copies go for about $45-$60 on Amazon. don't know about E-bay.

THat was one of the best old-school RPGs out there. I remenered that I was on the final boss, but I had to return it to my friend. Man, that game was fun!

Another old-school game I liked was Chrono Trigger. The story concept was great, and you could actually do moves that you couldn't do on Final Fantasy at the time. Also unlike FF, it wasn't a "I attack you then you attack me" type of RPG. It was more time set then I attack you. You didn't have to attack with the character that the computer chose for you; you can move on to the next character if his gauge was full.

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 2:45 pm

am i the only person who's played daggerfall?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 3:29 pm

x_amount_of_words wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:
I never really played any of the old RPG's. I like the new ones like GTA, Bully, and Mass Effect.

not sure about mass effect because i haven't played it but i'm pretty sure gta and bully aren't rpg's.

...or were you being ironic?

I thought they were RPGs.....

i dunno, it's gotten so vague. i remember when rpg meant a turn-based combat system game with fantasy elements and an actual story and interaction with characters and leveling up. today most games have that to some extent but none of them ever scream to me "rpg" so much as "doom". and yes, that includes bully and gta even though they're third person view.

gta and bully strike me more as being from the fps world just in how they develop and interract. it's very much from that same sort of "kill s**t and go" vein. not that that's bad. i love good fps's.

i guess i'm just more curious about how the genres might be shifting/changing.

victorvndoom
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2008, 4:06 am

Confused-Fish wrote:

i played it a while ago , long while

snelavasac
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Apr 2008, 10:51 am

Confused-Fish wrote:

I love Daggerfall! Sadly, I haven't played it in years because it seems even buggier on my current computer than it did before.

I agree with a lot of you that newer RPGs just aren't quite like how they used to be. The newest ones I've liked are Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights. I remember playing Baldur's Gate 2 and being disappointed that I didn't need any extra help getting through it--in my opinion, a good RPG should make you think much harder about how to get through certain situations. My favorite RPGs are probably the Ultima series (especially both parts of 7) and the Elder Scrolls series.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 1:07 pm

skafather84 wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:
I never really played any of the old RPG's. I like the new ones like GTA, Bully, and Mass Effect.

not sure about mass effect because i haven't played it but i'm pretty sure gta and bully aren't rpg's.

i dunno, it's gotten so vague. i remember when rpg meant a turn-based combat system game with fantasy elements and an actual story and interaction with characters and leveling up. today most games have that to some extent but none of them ever scream to me "rpg" so much as "doom". and yes, that includes bully and gta even though they're third person view.

gta and bully strike me more as being from the fps world just in how they develop and interract. it's very much from that same sort of "kill sh** and go" vein. not that that's bad. i love good fps's.

I looked them up on wikipedia. Bully and GTA are under the action/adventure category.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 4:00 pm

x_amount_of_words wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:

gta and bully strike me more as being from the fps world just in how they develop and interract. it's very much from that same sort of "kill sh** and go" vein. not that that's bad. i love good fps's.

I looked them up on wikipedia. Bully and GTA are under the action/adventure category.

fair enough. though at the same time...anyone could change that if they're having an argument over the topic we're talking about now...so it's not too reliable. :P

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 4:38 pm

x_amount_of_words wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:

never played bully but i guess gta does have role playing elements to it

snelavasac wrote:
Confused-Fish wrote:

I love Daggerfall! Sadly, I haven't played it in years because it seems even buggier on my current computer than it did before.

I agree with a lot of you that newer RPGs just aren't quite like how they used to be. The newest ones I've liked are Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights. I remember playing Baldur's Gate 2 and being disappointed that I didn't need any extra help getting through it--in my opinion, a good RPG should make you think much harder about how to get through certain situations. My favorite RPGs are probably the Ultima series (especially both parts of 7) and the Elder Scrolls series.

yeah the tes series are some of the most important rpgs out there, im pretty sure arena was the first "first-person" rpg ever made, and daggerfall has to be one of the biggest at least. i played two worlds, it was pretty bad, far too easy imho seems to be the way with alot of the newer rpgs. oblivion was good. what we need is a next tes game with the size of daggerfall, the variety of creatures, architecture and landscapes as morrowind, and the graphics of oblivion, and of course the freedom and multiple role playing opportunity's that you'd expect from a tes game :P though i doubt such a game would be possible even with blu-ray discs.

ive never played neverwinter nights, ill have to look into it :wink:

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 5:18 pm

Confused-Fish wrote:
what we need is a next tes game with the size of daggerfall, the variety of creatures, architecture and landscapes as morrowind, and the graphics of oblivion, and of course the freedom and multiple role playing opportunity's that you'd expect from a tes game :P though i doubt such a game would be possible even with blu-ray discs.

Stop it, I'm drooling already...

I played morrowind a grand total of about 1700 game hours before I even started to get into the mod community for that game... it was just that great. Oblivion pales in comparison next to it...

Daggerfall wasn't as great in my opinion (aside from the storyline which blows away both morrowind and oblivion), mainly because of the superbugs and the fact that it was all randomly generated...

Morrowind takes the TES cake because it was entirely hand-crafted with tlc... no procedural generation involved...

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 9:11 pm

overflow wrote:
Dungeon Siege, but my heart lies with true old-school turn-based games like Ulitma IV, Bard's Tale I and, of course, the D&D Gold Box series.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Great choices there!

I have Pool of Radiance actually loaded on my computer right now. I am about halfway through it. I have beaten it a few times, but I just can't seem to stay away.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 1:30 am

skafather84 wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:

fair enough. though at the same time...anyone could change that if they're having an argument over the topic we're talking about now...so it's not too reliable. :P

Of course, I could have easily changed the genre to RPG. Then I would have been right:).

snelavasac
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Apr 2008, 9:41 am

Confused-Fish wrote:
yeah the tes series are some of the most important rpgs out there, im pretty sure arena was the first "first-person" rpg ever made, and daggerfall has to be one of the biggest at least. i played two worlds, it was pretty bad, far too easy imho seems to be the way with alot of the newer rpgs. oblivion was good. what we need is a next tes game with the size of daggerfall, the variety of creatures, architecture and landscapes as morrowind, and the graphics of oblivion, and of course the freedom and multiple role playing opportunity's that you'd expect from a tes game :P though i doubt such a game would be possible even with blu-ray discs.

I've also played Two Worlds--let's just say I'm glad it was a Christmas gift and I didn't have to pay for it myself. :D It was fun in its own way, but I wouldn't have paid full price for it if I had to buy it for myself.

If they ever do have a TES game with all that, I just hope they don't include those cliff racers from Morrowind! Otherwise, I'll gladly wait for discs that store even more than Blu-ray just to see if they ever come out with something like that.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 10:46 am

Or just run it on a PC with 4 blu-ray install discs :P

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 3:57 pm

snelavasac wrote:
Confused-Fish wrote:

I've also played Two Worlds--let's just say I'm glad it was a Christmas gift and I didn't have to pay for it myself. :D It was fun in its own way, but I wouldn't have paid full price for it if I had to buy it for myself.

If they ever do have a TES game with all that, I just hope they don't include those cliff racers from Morrowind! Otherwise, I'll gladly wait for discs that store even more than Blu-ray just to see if they ever come out with something like that.

Rofl, good old cliff racers :lol:

yeah they were pretty annoying when your at low level. yeah two worlds was fun to play (for the whole 4 hours of game play it can offer you) but there just wasn't enough, also what's with that dwarfen city even being in the game when you cant get to it :evil: ive spent hours trying lol and then theres the disappointing online mode, its not that the online mode is bad, i wouldn't know what its like tbh because nobody is ever on!

jamescampbell
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2008, 3:59 pm

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
The new RPGs suck because there's to much focus on multiplayer these days. If you love good RPGs, then I recomend Gothic and Gothic II (haven't played the 3rd one). Both these games have excellent stories, but somewhat out-of-date graphics. :D
i wonder what the 4th ones gonna belike.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 4:12 pm

I thought that The Witcher is the best rpg I've ever played since Planescape:Torment but I am not sure after I started Mass Effect on my Xbox360 ....man, Mass Effect is fascinating!! !

PS: remove the stupid film grain in the options.

I am not regretting anymore for buying the Xbox 360 , Mass Effect and their expected expansions(hopefully!) make it worth to get it!