Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 8:06 pm

I just got into it about a week or two ago, and I'm having a lot of fun working on my first game with it. I'm currently working on the main storyline script for it in Celtx, while doing some of the preliminary mapping for the first few key areas of the game whenever I get fed up with working on the script.

For those of you who may not know what RPG Maker is, check out the official site for the latest version of it: RPG Maker VX Ace.

Anyone else here use any version of RPG Maker to make RPGs? If so, what're you working on, or what've you worked on in the past?

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 8:18 pm

I was using VX to make a game with my cousin... though, I suppose it doesn't really count, as it was literally called The Debug Room/Debug Room Adventures. We mainly used it to dick around in.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 9:40 pm

Used to use it when it was free. Unfortunately doesn't seem to be any free version anymore, which is why I've gone with Game Maker instead(though I did eventually buy the registered version of GM8 when I had the money). A bit more complex in that you pretty much have to make everything from scratch, but on the flipside you have a lot more freedom, too. Even so, if there was a free version of RPG Maker, or if I was able to get a job, I'd probably try to make something with it. I've had an idea for an RPG based on No More Heroes.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 1:18 am

I haven't made anything with it, but I have played a number of RPGMaker games. I would actually say that some of the RPGMaker games I have played had far far far better stories than the vast majority of the more popular games I've played.

Zaswe12
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jan 2013, 1:39 pm

I hate things that make games for you, those things have a crap ton of limits. I like making games from scratch, with only an IDE to help, and the internet if I have no freakin' clue on what to do.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:05 pm

Zaswe12 wrote:
I hate things that make games for you, those things have a crap ton of limits. I like making games from scratch, with only an IDE to help, and the internet if I have no freakin' clue on what to do.

Limitation breeds creativity.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 6:10 am

I used to use the old, old Win95 version back in the day. I made one parody game with a bunch of inside jokes for my friends, and another game that was a bit more of a serious effort (but still with plenty of humor). That one made it to a very awkward moment where I thought "What the heck have I done??" and I never worked on it again.

Funny enough, the style I was going for would have suited RPG Maker 2000 much better, but I didn't play around with that one very much.

Boxman108 wrote:
Used to use it when it was free. Unfortunately doesn't seem to be any free version anymore...

I don't think it ever was free, I think it was just distributed illegally.