So I finally bought Titanfall (PC version)...

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 6:40 pm

...what should I expect? Do people still play the PC version? Does it require a beefy system? Did I waste $20 picking it up over a year after release? XD

One of my friends described it as being like Call of Duty meets Quake 3, and from the gameplay I've seen it looks pretty intriguing.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 8:24 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
...what should I expect? Do people still play the PC version? Does it require a beefy system? Did I waste $20 picking it up over a year after release? XD

One of my friends described it as being like Call of Duty meets Quake 3, and from the gameplay I've seen it looks pretty intriguing.

I havent been on in some time.... since when I last played it (not long after it came out) the matchmaker was still an absolute freaking disaster.

That being said.... I wouldnt expect TOO much. It's a major AAA game that was gearing up (stupidly) for the whole e-sports thing, and had merchandise and all that ready to go, and.... ONE year later, it's $20. And the developers have already completely ceased content creation for it. No more new maps or whatever. Just think about that for a minute.

The actual gameplay is pretty darn good, as even I liked it, but.... I always keep hearing that it's dead, to the point where other games, when described as dead, are often "ending up just like Titanfall".

I'd like to hope that maybe it's picked up a bit since... I do know they ARE working on a major sequel at the very least, so it must have done at least somewhat okay... but yeah, I havent taken the time to patch and fire it up in awhile since I kept hearing that.

But if the community IS still there.... yeah, it's a very fun game. An FPS that allows actual MOBILITY! What a concept!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 8:40 pm

Apparently they released the expansions for free a while ago, so I'm hoping that that may revive the community a bit. Speaking of which, this game is taking freaking FOREVER to download. :P I purposefully bought a physical copy since I knew that my machine would likely be using the uncompressed audio, as it's only a dual core, and the initial stages of the installation went swimmingly... until the updates. I'm itching to play this.

By the way, are you on Origin? Maybe we could PM each other our usernames.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 10:27 pm

I'm Cubia55 on there, one of the only places I dont use the name I have here.

I'm not on much though. It's EA games only, so the selection is just incredibly terrible to me; I mostly just use it to play Plants & Zombies: Garden Warfare, and that's about it. And the Sims games. Titanfall is the only other thing I have, and yeah, havent fired it up in ages.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 12:28 am

Well, I'm mr-b1gm0u7h-502. :P I would use my normal handle, but it kept saying it was taken. I guess I'm not the only bigmouth out there... Must be a Placebo fan...

Anyway, I just played it for about an hour, and I am absolutely SHOCKED at how smoothly it runs on my PC. 8O There were a few sections where the framerate took a dip, but it never felt laggy. I had most of the graphics settings at their optimum presets (which in the case of my machine, is basically low for most things :P), but I decided to crank the resolution to native (1680x1050 for my monitor), and turn the FOV all the way up to 90. The game still looks great even at these settings, and I think it's safe to say that my old, cobbled-together gaming PC still holds up. ;) Of course, being that I don't play a lot of modern games, it may just be that I'm blown away by graphics that wouldn't impress most other people. The framerate is still smooth as hell though, and the resolution is higher than what the XBone does.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 10:16 pm

Heh, I just got to the point where I've unlocked the Enhanced Targeting modification for the Smart Pistol, and I have to say, this is one of the most overpowered weapons I've used in any game period. It's kind of disappointing because it takes the challenge out of using it. I kept raging when I was getting killed by it before, but I'd always feel a sense of satisfaction whenever I managed to score a pilot kill with my suppressed Smart Pistol. I know the devs probably don't give a s**t about Titanfall anymore, as the sequel will be coming out some time in the near future, but I think they should seriously nerf the Enhanced Targeting, just to make things fairer for people who aren't using it or don't have it.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 3:23 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Heh, I just got to the point where I've unlocked the Enhanced Targeting modification for the Smart Pistol, and I have to say, this is one of the most overpowered weapons I've used in any game period. It's kind of disappointing because it takes the challenge out of using it. I kept raging when I was getting killed by it before, but I'd always feel a sense of satisfaction whenever I managed to score a pilot kill with my suppressed Smart Pistol. I know the devs probably don't give a s**t about Titanfall anymore, as the sequel will be coming out some time in the near future, but I think they should seriously nerf the Enhanced Targeting, just to make things fairer for people who aren't using it or don't have it.

Actually Titanfall 2 is a loooooooong way off.

Holiday season of 2017 is the estimated date.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 12:00 pm

I see. Do you think the Smart Pistol w/ Enhanced Targeting is overpowered?

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 12:57 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I dunno, it's really hard for me to judge that sort of thing. I'm absolutely terrible at FPS games as a rule; bad aim, cant hit a thing much of the time (as such I only use rapid-fire "spray" weapons; precision guns wont hit a thing for me). So I dont see higher level play in these sorts of games. Part of it might be the fact of the mouse itself... never been very accurate with the stupid things. Even though I almost exclusively play PC games, I use the PS4 controller for almost all of them. That and I have no sense of strategy in these. Dont think I messed much with the smart pistol at the time I was playing it, for whatever reason.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 1:11 am

Misery wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I dunno, it's really hard for me to judge that sort of thing. I'm absolutely terrible at FPS games as a rule; bad aim, cant hit a thing much of the time (as such I only use rapid-fire "spray" weapons; precision guns wont hit a thing for me). So I dont see higher level play in these sorts of games. Part of it might be the fact of the mouse itself... never been very accurate with the stupid things. Even though I almost exclusively play PC games, I use the PS4 controller for almost all of them. That and I have no sense of strategy in these. Dont think I messed much with the smart pistol at the time I was playing it, for whatever reason.

That may be why you're not very good at FPSes then. Playing with a mouse makes them soooooo much better than with a pad.

Anyway, I was playing a bit earlier on, and during the first match I played I actually ragequit because I was getting my ass kicked. It turns out there were a couple of people cheating, and they got booted out of the lobby. I seeked out another game of attrition... and got returned to the same lobby. The obvious cheaters were gone, but I still wasn't doing so well, even with my "overpowered" weapon.

I guess I'll keep using the enhanced targeting attachment then, if it's what allows me to compete. I'm a terrible FPS player myself, and the enhanced targeting smart pistol is basically the FPS weapon I've been wanting for years. If it were available on TF2, I swear to FSM I wouldn't use anything else.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 1:28 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Misery wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

That may be why you're not very good at FPSes then. Playing with a mouse makes them soooooo much better than with a pad.

Anyway, I was playing a bit earlier on, and during the first match I played I actually ragequit because I was getting my ass kicked. It turns out there were a couple of people cheating, and they got booted out of the lobby. I seeked out another game of attrition... and got returned to the same lobby. The obvious cheaters were gone, but I still wasn't doing so well, even with my "overpowered" weapon.

I guess I'll keep using the enhanced targeting attachment then, if it's what allows me to compete. I'm a terrible FPS player myself, and the enhanced targeting smart pistol is basically the FPS weapon I've been wanting for years. If it were available on TF2, I swear to FSM I wouldn't use anything else.

Actually what I meant was, that is my typical performance WITH a mouse, not with a controller. So.... you can see the problem. Using a controller (particularly when everyone else in the PC version is using a mouse) would take me right through "terrible" and out the other side in that genre :P

But I do intend on jumping back into it and having another whirl at the whole thing, probably within the next day or two, so I'll see what happens. I'd do it tonight but my arm is feeling a bit smashed up today from playing Heroes of the Storm yesterday. I'll experiment with that pistol thing myself as well.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 1:38 am

I just read your post again, and I finally saw the section where you mentioned that you've never been very accurate with mice. I have a tendency to skim over things when I'm reading and miss out on little details like that. Odd, because I'm quite detail oriented in other ways, but that's just how I am.