Mass Effect, Resident Evil and Dead Space: old vs new

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

punkguy378
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2013, 12:58 am

Honestly I actually disliked the second and third Mass Effect games and am a fan of the first.

I mean there are marked differences between the two. I honestly preferred the more RPG quality of the first one as opposed to the more shooter quality of the last two.

Plus the story in the first is the best in the series as well in my opinion.

Yes there are definitely flaws that got corrected in the second and third but that did not do it for me.

It is kind of like how I prefer the older Resident Evil games as opposed to the last two which were too much action and not enough survival. I think the awful movies had an unfortunate influence on the last two games. Capcom must redeem itself on this otherwise count me out on the next RE game.

The last game franchise would be Dead Space. I prefer the original to the 2nd and third although 3 had a very interesting weapon crafting aspect that I loved and it should of been done earlier.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 5:02 am

I liked RE 4 plenty enough (on the Wii), haven't played the two newer ones yet.

Laddo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 6:55 am

I haven't played any Mass Effect or Dead Space games (although I do intend to at some point) but love the Resident Evil series. Well, that is, RE1-RE4. And while 4 was a very fun game, it didn't feel like a Resident Evil game to me. REmake was one of the best

I am no longer using this account or this website. Do not bother contacting me because any messages will be ignored. The fact that you can't delete your profile while all your information is retained is also disgraceful.

punkguy378
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2013, 8:41 am

Laddo wrote:
I haven't played any Mass Effect or Dead Space games (although I do intend to at some point) but love the Resident Evil series. Well, that is, RE1-RE4. And while 4 was a very fun game, it didn't feel like a Resident Evil game to me. REmake was one of the best

Four was sort of like the old ones at least more so than 5 and then 6 sort of worked on the Leon campaign but the rest just fell flat.

My personal favorite is actually Code Veronica (PS2 version). And the remake of the first was one of the reasons I got Game Cube well that and Metroid Prime. Zero was good too but the item dropping was annoying because you had to keep backtracking and lugging things to new areas. No more "magic" item box.

Dead Space is highly recommended pretty much for anyone who likes Aliens, Event Horizon and The Thing wrapped in one nice package. The influence is obvious especially from the Thing but they came up with something that set it apart and made it different.

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 8:54 am

I haven't played Mass Effect III yet (yeah yeah), but I personally prefer II to the original. Why? Better action, no bloody stupid Mako missions, Tali. The original just kinda... bores me at this point. Doesn't help that I've beaten it like five times.

RE4 was definitely the high watermark for the series. It fixed everything that was wrong with the old ones, and while the newer ones don't straight up suck, they don't come close to 4.

I thought Dead Space was kinda crap, albeit after playing it for a mere three or four hours. I can't remember much about it, to be honest, just a massive drunken argument with my best friend where I asserted they stole System Shock 2's genitalia and used it to violate & impregnate Event Horizon, he told me I was drunk, and then I claimed they plagiarized Duck Tales. I do remember the System Shock 2 thing making sense at the time, though. Not really scary, more Doom 3-type "dudes is jumpin' out achoo" crap, and no attempt to build up genuine tension or atmosphere. Granted, this whole thing was years ago, and I was drunk, to take this review with a grain of salt.

punkguy378
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2013, 8:56 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I liked RE 4 plenty enough (on the Wii), haven't played the two newer ones yet.

Well five was a pretty standard action game and it was not creepy at all. And six is a mess. About the only think good about it is the Leon Campaign (striking resemblance to 4) and of course the Mercenaries mini game is better than ever. I would still play both if you are die hard fan.

They did bring back the traditional zombies (yay!) and the cerberus dogs (not so good). Plus some new variants ala Left 4 Dead. Although they are mainly in the Leon Campaign which is why it is the best out of the four different campaigns.

Also Revelations is not that bad if you like a mix of old and new RE. And now it was released on 360 and PS3 (original game on 3ds.)

punkguy378
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2013, 9:19 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
I haven't played Mass Effect III yet (yeah yeah), but I personally prefer II to the original. Why? Better action, no bloody stupid Mako missions, Tali. The original just kinda... bores me at this point. Doesn't help that I've beaten it like five times.

RE4 was definitely the high watermark for the series. It fixed everything that was wrong with the old ones, and while the newer ones don't straight up suck, they don't come close to 4.

I thought Dead Space was kinda crap, albeit after playing it for a mere three or four hours. I can't remember much about it, to be honest, just a massive drunken argument with my best friend where I asserted they stole System Shock 2's genitalia and used it to violate & impregnate Event Horizon, he told me I was drunk, and then I claimed they plagiarized Duck Tales. I do remember the System Shock 2 thing making sense at the time, though. Not really scary, more Doom 3-type "dudes is jumpin' out achoo" crap, and no attempt to build up genuine tension or atmosphere. Granted, this whole thing was years ago, and I was drunk, to take this review with a grain of salt.

haha. Yeah I see what you are saying on the System Shock 2/ Event Horizon thing. Yeah the game was not all that scary but nothing scares me with horror these days. There was a feeling of survival on hard difficulty which you have to do in order to really feel any tension since you are literally always out of ammo and can find just enough to get by if you are a good shot. The reason I really liked it was for the atmosphere and the mysterious feel of not knowing what the heck is going and what are all these abominations. The second and third games evolve the story piece-meal so you only get just a little bit more and when you think you got it figured out they add another twist to the story. Also the creature design is quite good and creative.

Mass Effect 3 meh! I would say if you like 2 it is fine but the story seems to be ripped right out of Dragon Age and a few other games. Almost the same story but in space. Basically banding a group together to fight a common enemy. Totally derivative to me. Just the standard unite all banners to fight the end of days and save the world/universe. It is getting kind of stale. And the ending literally made gamers really really mad.

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 10:07 am

The ending to two wasn't bad at all, three had the %&$*ing annoying one. As for the whole band together and save the universe... that was the point from the beginning of Mass Effect. It's like Star Wars, as I see it. Sure, the first one might have been about the badass struggle to destroy the Death Star, but that was just what got the ball rolling. The victory over the Emperor at Endor was the goal all along. Just like the Saren storyline was just the prologue to the Reaper storyline. So the story doesn't get any worse, just the way it's being told at the time.

I do think that Mass Effect did have a slightly better story that II, because Saren was an interesting and engaging villain, unlike Harbinger who mostly just growled at you. The Illusive Man was a really nice addition, though, if only because I pretty much worship Martin Sheen. Seriously, I would go gay for the man. I take that back. You heard nothing. The one thing I do prefer about the Cerberus plotline is that Saren always felt like a pawn, while the Illusive Man felt like the chessmaster. That's what engaged me more about the storyline of II.

You may have noticed that I focus on the characters. Every single story is derivative. Nothing is original, especially within the same genre. What sets it apart are the characters, and I enjoyed II's intensely, from Jack to the new hardened versions of Tali & Garrus. It may be a traditional space opera, but most traditional space operas don't have an alien scientist performing a bizarre altered version of "The Major-General's Song" and advising you on how to pleasure another species.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 5:27 pm

punkguy378 wrote:
My personal favorite is actually Code Veronica...

CV was probably one of my least favorites. It didn't have some of the nice stuff they added to 3, like dodging, and automatic stairs (since CV development started before Nemesis), and it sucked to get to a part where you'd switch characters without warning, and all of the good equipment and ink ribbons would be in the other guy's pockets =|

Normally I don't mind a good challenge so much, but I thought that out of every other RE game, CV had the most moments of "I really, really need to save but I don't want to waste this ink ribbon because I only have one left!"

punkguy378 wrote:
Also Revelations is not that bad if you like a mix of old and new RE.

I have it on the 3DS, but I haven't had a chance to play through it very much (too many 3DS games!). I like how you can set the 3D effect even higher in the options...it's really weird to have to focus your eyes so much with the settings at full blast.

I also just picked up Mercenaries 3D the other day for dirt cheap, haven't even touched it yet.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 8:13 pm

Idk but I am quite interested as I've been trying to get into ME and RE, I got RE2 from PSN awhile back. Gonna get RE4HD for PS3 and REmake for Wii/GCN.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 2:23 pm

I'm from the old school of RE, so I prefer the classics. I love RE4 too though, mostly as a game based on its own merits. It changed so much, and created so many plot holes(some of which even the Chronicles games couldn't fill), that I would have preferred it if it was a new ip, rather than a RE game. But, otherwise, I can't think of much I dislike about the game, and I have since made my peace with the new direction that game took the series. It wasn't until the next game that Capcom dropped the ball. I didn't hate RE5 as much as you'd think, but I have yet to pick up a RE game since(though I'll probably acquire them all when they're cheap). I just agree that the series has gone downhill since 4. I would have been ok if the series continued to be like RE4, but no, we can't have that.

No comment on Dead Space. I like survival horror, like classic RE and Silent Hill, not horror themed fps mislabeled as survival horror. I really hate what the 7th gen has done to survival horror. Thankfully, The Last of Us managed to provide a classic survival horror experience, but with a more modern approach. In short, it's exactly what I wish survival horror evolved into all along, and I wish more "survival horror" games were like that. I don't like wrpgs, so I haven't played Mass Effect, but I'll probably check out the collection eventually, since people are claiming this series actually has a good story, unlike the vast majority of wrpgs. Then again, that's what people said about the Fallout games, and I strongly disagree with them, so forgive me for being a little wary of ME.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 4:45 pm

Tross wrote:
Then again, that's what people said about the Fallout games, and I strongly disagree with them, so forgive me for being a little wary of ME.

Maybe not 3, but the first game had good writing.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 6:03 pm

Two things that make me like Mass Effect III despite its Gainax ending:

- Letting Garrus win (Paragon choice) in the shooting contest... Best. Quote. Ever.

- Every single word Tali says (especially if you continue her romance from ME2) ... She is the Queen of Snark...

punkguy378
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2013, 2:14 am

Tross wrote:
I'm from the old school of RE, so I prefer the classics. I love RE4 too though, mostly as a game based on its own merits. It changed so much, and created so many plot holes(some of which even the Chronicles games couldn't fill), that I would have preferred it if it was a new ip, rather than a RE game. But, otherwise, I can't think of much I dislike about the game, and I have since made my peace with the new direction that game took the series. It wasn't until the next game that Capcom dropped the ball. I didn't hate RE5 as much as you'd think, but I have yet to pick up a RE game since(though I'll probably acquire them all when they're cheap). I just agree that the series has gone downhill since 4. I would have been ok if the series continued to be like RE4, but no, we can't have that.

No comment on Dead Space. I like survival horror, like classic RE and Silent Hill, not horror themed fps mislabeled as survival horror. I really hate what the 7th gen has done to survival horror. Thankfully, The Last of Us managed to provide a classic survival horror experience, but with a more modern approach. In short, it's exactly what I wish survival horror evolved into all along, and I wish more "survival horror" games were like that. I don't like wrpgs, so I haven't played Mass Effect, but I'll probably check out the collection eventually, since people are claiming this series actually has a good story, unlike the vast majority of wrpgs. Then again, that's what people said about the Fallout games, and I strongly disagree with them, so forgive me for being a little wary of ME.

I actually love the Fallout games every single one: well except that stupid one for PS2 (Brotherhood of Steel I think) and the tactical strategy game for PC. Honestly if you want the true Fallout games you have to play 1 and 2. They are both turn-based isometric view rpgs like the original Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale for PC and the story is in both is markedly better than Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Fallout 3's story was a huge disappointment. They needed to play up the Enclave more as that was the most interesting part of the story. But the story was a little too linear and short. Fallout 3 was always good for other reasons besides the story. The guns in some of the expansions for new Vegas were pretty cool though. The alien pistol is the best. There is a crashed alien ship where three aliens attack you and you can get this rare one-of-a-kind 1950's style laser gun from the Captain. Never found any more energy cells for it since it takes these special alien energy cells you cannot get anywhere else. So you get some temporary fun use out of it and once the ammo is out the gun is useless.

I tend to like wrpgs better than other kinds. I mean one exception is Final Fantasy and maybe Dragon's Quest. I am not sure what to think after the trailer for FF XV. They are changing it too much. They should bring it back to its roots like they did with FF 9. I mean I did like FF 13 and for some reason did not really like 13-2.

Yes, Dead Space is a shooter in a way but the first one is less like this than the second and third. The Thing is actually my favorite movie of all time and Dead Space is influenced by it at least the Necromorphs are some twisted cousin of the organism in the Thing. The concept for everything in Dead Space is interesting and it touches on a sci fi style not generally done in video games or at least done well before. At least in my opinion. I am not judging Dead Space on the survival horror aspect. I mean Dead Space is a heck of a lot better than what RE has been doing of late. RE 6 was a joke and a mess of a game. Leon's Campaign is the only redeeming value along with the improved Mercenaries mode. The rest is pure action movie garbage. So wait till its like $20 otherwise it is a waste of money.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 11:17 am

I played Mercenaries 3D last night. It's alright, but so far, it seems centered on RE5, which I haven't played.

Also, the rendering is very green and grainy, like when you try to run a 32-bit color 3D accelerated game with a video card that isn't powerful enough for it. Kind of ugly, but eh.

Also, I got to the stage where they stop holding your hand and let you kill zombies, and I tried three times and did not complete it =)

punkguy378
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2013, 9:42 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I played Mercenaries 3D last night. It's alright, but so far, it seems centered on RE5, which I haven't played.

Also, the rendering is very green and grainy, like when you try to run a 32-bit color 3D accelerated game with a video card that isn't powerful enough for it. Kind of ugly, but eh.

Also, I got to the stage where they stop holding your hand and let you kill zombies, and I tried three times and did not complete it =)

meh. Played it for like 30 minutes when it came out. Ended up trading it the next time I traded games. It is basically an off-shoot of RE5 like you said. I actually did not get past the hand holdig stuff. Is it just me or are games doing this all the time now.

I remember the old days where hand-holding was nowhere in sight and everything was completely obtuse. I mean remember Zelda 2 anyone. Obtuse really obtuse. Castlevania 2 you practically had to have Nintendo Power because you could never figure it out yourself. How am I supposed to know what holy water is for. Ok let's throw it at the walls and see what that does. Oh there is a pot roast in the wall (wait... there is a pot roast in the wall do you really want to eat that!) oops sorry the pot roast in the wall was from the first game.