Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 11:56 pm

Anyone do this? I've been collecting miniatures for about 25 years but, I've never been quite as good at painting them as I want to be.

Eldanesh
Toucan
Toucan

11 Apr 2012, 6:52 pm

As a wargamer, but I've taken the time to research the painting seriously and now do fine at it and even do commission speed painting.

Regards,
Eldanesh

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 7:10 am

I haven't done any in over 20 years, but had painted hundreds of them (mostly Citadel fantasy miniatures) back in the day and I don't think I did too bad a job.

I can't remember many of the techniques off the top of my head, and everyone has their own method that works for them.

My self I would:

1. Use Humbrol enamel paints.
2. Always start with a base matt black layer undercoat.
3. Build up the colours with deep contrasts; so if you wanted to paint a red cloak on a figure start with a purple or maroon layer then paint over again with a red leaving the darker colour in the folds then finally a pale red or pink on the highlights.
4. Leave detail and faces/skin tones till last.
5. Dry-brushing is great for rough or strongly textured surfaces.
6. Leave to dry thoroughly somewhere warm (I found near a boiler was great) between layers for at least 24 hours but some paints such as metallics always benefit more else they may run.
7. 2 coats of varnish (I prefer gloss) to finish but make sure any previous coats have had adequate time to dry.

Practise lots :)

Narfibald
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2012, 7:25 pm

Not since I played Warhammer 40K. Man, that was fun, but time consuming.

--Narfibald Narfchester von Narfington
--Lord of Castle Narfenstein
--Ruler of the Narfshire
--Keeper of the Tome of Narf
--Aspergian in Good Standing

Smartalex
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2012, 2:40 am

A new battle game shop opened up near me. I saw it and I this thread.

I made toy soldiers as a kid with molds. I loved painting them. But then in highschool I was told it's forbideen. All the while, my dad would bring home tire weights for me to melt and my macho mausculine tough guy friend mikey would put together models and paint them all day long, "Dude, of course you put the models together and paint them."

I just went into the store and I got "Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Devastator Squad." I love it! I'm like a kid in a candy store. And all that joy and wonder and amazement I felt as a kid, I feel it again.

I'm 27, now there's youtube guide for painting and theres online forums. Hey, this is one of my special interests, so be it.