Toucan

13 Aug 2012, 6:23 am

I'm in love with The Sims 3 :D. Only, it keeps freezing lately :'(

Is anyone else into The Sims? :)

BrokenEnvoke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2012, 7:05 am

I used to play Sims 2 all day, haven't touched Sims 3 yet though.

And about your freezing problem - apparently it's a known issue as a lot of other people have it.
Maybe try this "fix"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7B2e_B83sQ
Obviously I have no idea if it works, but some are saying it's working and some say it does nothing.

crookedfingers
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2012, 7:16 am

I used to love the sims, sims 2 and sims 3, but after EA Games took over the quality went downhill. It seems they keep loading more expensive official expansions and mods, while not fixing bugs, instead ignoring them until they become so entwined with the expansion packs that they are impossible to fix.

At the same time they have taken away from the customisable element that was at it's best in the sims 2 (no doubt in order to make more money)

Any non-official mods seem to crash the game, official mods and ad-ons are over-priced, and the vanilla game is badly lacking in content.

The game stopped working, and I stopped playing.

It's sad as the sims 3 had so much potential, but it has been ruined by corporate greed and indifference.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 7:19 am

I liked sims 1 and 2 but I kept cheating and I couldn't help it so I got burnt out on it pretty quick. Some of the expansions got really lame IMO as well... such as the vacation expansion, valentine expansion, and a few others. Another thing was, after The sims 3 came out, you couldn't get the extra downloadable clothes and items off of the site anymore for the earlier games.

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

13 Aug 2012, 7:38 am

BrokenEnvoke wrote:
I used to play Sims 2 all day, haven't touched Sims 3 yet though.

And about your freezing problem - apparently it's a known issue as a lot of other people have it.
Maybe try this "fix"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7B2e_B83sQ
Obviously I have no idea if it works, but some are saying it's working and some say it does nothing.

That's not the problem I'm having, the whole thing freezes, and I have to force my computer to shut-down, I think my laptop can't keep up with the game.

Thanks anyways :D.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 7:39 am

I really like the sims, my favourite is The Sims 3. I can't handle the lack of customisation on 1 and 2.

@Crookedfingers d'you want some help with your mod problem? Because it's a fairly easy thing to sort out.

BrokenEnvoke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2012, 7:43 am

Aaah if you are using a lot of expansions it could be that your laptop can't keep up with it *cough*bad programming*cough*

Sad to hear that though :(

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 7:44 am

I play Sims 3 every day. Right now I'm building my own world. It's not completely from scratch since I can't use Create a World but I downloaded a map with all empty lots.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 8:36 am

I used to play Sims 2 big time. Until my computer crashed and everything I had created went to hell. then I just didn't feel like starting all over again.

I may start poaying sims 3 some day, although the lack of custom content is... disappointing.

crookedfingers
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2012, 8:48 am

FalsettoTesla wrote:
@Crookedfingers d'you want some help with your mod problem? Because it's a fairly easy thing to sort out.

Thanks, but it's OK, I've sworn off computer games now, I was finding them to be too much of a distraction from trying to advance in real life.

One main problem I found was that it got worse each time a new patch came out, my old laptop could handle the Sims 3 fine, and it was the patches that would crash it even without the custom content. Each time I fixed the problem another patch would come along and make the game unplayable again.

I enjoy creating things, it might be better for me to try it in real life.

Now to tackle my internet addiction...
trouble is I can't get rid of the internet from my life as I need it as a marketing tool. :roll:

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 8:50 am

Shatbat wrote:
I used to play Sims 2 big time. Until my computer crashed and everything I had created went to hell. then I just didn't feel like starting all over again.

I may start poaying sims 3 some day, although the lack of custom content is... disappointing.

lack of custom content? there are hundreds of mods for Sims 3. I used be play Sims 3 for hours, and all night too but for some reason, I just lost interest, I guess it's my short attention span.

crookedfingers
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2012, 9:12 am

transformingcar wrote:
lack of custom content? there are hundreds of mods for Sims 3. I used be play Sims 3 for hours, and all night too but for some reason, I just lost interest, I guess it's my short attention span.

There isn't a lack of custom content out there to download, but you need much more in-depth knowledge and programs to create your own.

Unfortunately what I miss from the Sims 2 was how easy it was, I would spend as much time on my own custom content as I would playing the game.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 9:14 am

In Sims 3 you can change the color and pattern of most items in the game.

crookedfingers
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2012, 9:24 am

hanyo wrote:
In Sims 3 you can change the color and pattern of most items in the game.

Yes, I had a lot of fun with that, and I admit it was a major improvement, but things like hair styles or eye textures are what I'm thinking of.

There was a lot of improvement in the gameplay of the sims 3, I will not deny that, but I found that in my case, it did not live up to it's potential, instead declining in quality with each new update.

All those of you who can play without feeling cheated or resentful towards the company that produced and maintained it are quite enviable.

sfreyj
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2012, 9:31 am

I love The Sims, but the main interest for me was always building. I got bored of the life part of the game pretty quick. I upload some of my creations here. I haven't played it for over a year now, though. I always leave it for a long time and then come back and play it obsessively until the cycle begins again.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

14 Aug 2012, 1:52 am

I own the Sims 2 and 3. Both are pretty enjoyable. :)