Holy crap Paradox grand strategy games are my new obsession!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

poisonousautumn
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Apr 2013, 9:19 pm

so the civilization series has been a die-hard obsession of mine for almost 12 years now. civ 1, 2, 3, and 4. I really loved the user-made scenerios and mods, and even did some myself. I love the specific historical periods and the ability to change history (those.. if only x had done x at this moment!). unfortunately, there was just never enough detail (limitations of the game engine itself).

so I hate real time strategy games.. but I finally dived into paradox's series of civ-like grand strategy. each covers a specific time period, and the detail is amazing. it's pausable real-time, which I play like turns (play play play---pause - play play play). there is so much micro-managing and a crazy learning curve but wow when I finally figured it out these games became so rewarding. playing Europa universalis 3 right now.. i am trying to create a powerful ottoman empire to last the test of time.

i swear these games were designed with people in the AS in mind. epic time suck. they definitely have issues in the game design and A.I. but when patched up a lot of the problems are swept away. anybody else found themselves losing days and days to these games? auuuugh

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 9:28 pm

I've been playing FPS for years but none has eaten away my time more than Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 New Vegas. I don't know when Fallout 4 is coming but I'm already chomping at the bit.

slapdash
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Apr 2013, 11:21 pm

redrobin - I am going to assume you have played Skyrim ? If not, seriously, same developers and crew - different era - incredible,.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 12:59 am

I played Skyrim for a short while. I think what I admire, or relate to, in Fallout 3 is the bleak landscape. A lot of my "lost" years were spent wandering around in wastelands that resembled Fallout 3. Yeah, I was homeless and spend too much time scrounging for scraps, sleeping in cars, hanging out with the riff raff, eluding the police, abusing drugs, keeping company with the lowest of the low in derelict houses and abandoned buildings. Fallout 3 was like returning to a hopeless, but familiar, place. As strange as it seems, it was like going home. I may give Skyrim another chance, though. You never know.

poisonousautumn
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Apr 2013, 8:58 pm

i just got off a skyrim kick after purchasing all of the expansions. amazing game... one you can forget about for months and go right back to.
fallout is the same. I've been playing since fallout 1 and have loved nearly every game. Bethesda did an awesome job porting it to 1st person.

but you definitely go to fallout for the bleakness, and skyrim (or oblivion or morrowind) for the beauty. it's like a choice between exploring urban ruins or checking out a national park. :) both great.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 11:45 am

poisonousautumn wrote:
i swear these games were designed with people in the AS in mind. epic time suck. they definitely have issues in the game design and A.I. but when patched up a lot of the problems are swept away. anybody else found themselves losing days and days to these games? auuuugh

Thread confusion....http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt226995.html

Yeah, I agree with you that those games are addictive. It's more harmless than most.

Dang Steam delaying the release of Victoria 2: HOD until this afternoon!

All hail Imperator Johan, creator of EU4, and all of his other impressive creations.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2013, 2:39 pm

I've only played HoI2/derivatives and a demo for March of the Eagles, but I'm a diehard for Darkest Hour and Kaiserreich/DH. I played quite a bit of Arsenal of Democracy as well (including the only "full" game in which I've played as Germany and won the war), and wish Darkest Hour had its supply system.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 5:50 pm

Victoria II: HOD is available on steam now. It apparently makes it harder to manage an economy than before, but the politics and AI strategy is noticably better.