Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 5:24 pm

Me and a circle of friends play League of Legends and I wanna know if anyone else plays so we can make the circle bigger!

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 4:23 am

(Thread moved from Random to Games)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 7:47 am

When I was living with a friend of mine a while ago, he played LoL obsessively, and as he kept raging and yelling at his computer, I often wondered how he could possibly enjoy such a game. Naturally, he turned me away from it. I've never been a big fan of hyper-competitive games, and I probably never will be. I mean, I do enjoy casually playing some games that have been played competitively (like CounterStrike and StarCraft: Brood War), but I don't particularly care for games that ONLY have an ultra-competitive/E-sports focus.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 9:35 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
When I was living with a friend of mine a while ago, he played LoL obsessively, and as he kept raging and yelling at his computer, I often wondered how he could possibly enjoy such a game. Naturally, he turned me away from it. I've never been a big fan of hyper-competitive games, and I probably never will be. I mean, I do enjoy casually playing some games that have been played competitively (like CounterStrike and StarCraft: Brood War), but I don't particularly care for games that ONLY have an ultra-competitive/E-sports focus.

Oh, you dont HAVE to play them that way; that's a misconception. They like to ADVERTISE them that way, because that aspect.... or more specifically, WATCHING that aspect.... is something alot of players enjoy. But yeah, you dont have to take part in any of that yourself.

The game DOES have a proper unranked mode, which seems to involve alot less random anger (because nobody has rankings being affected on leaderboards), and is good for just, you know, playing and enjoying it. Even moreso if you play with friends. The actual full "ranked" mode is where people start getting overly competetive and more irritable.

Also.... the raging bit that you mention? That's ENTIRELY the player's doing. Not that of the game. If they're raging at it, it's because they're ALLOWING themselves to rage at it, the same as any gamer raging at any other game. Something that most of us have done from time to time in a variety of games.

Me, I play this and similar games and am always, always, ALWAYS friendly and ultra-polite to everyone. Doesnt matter if my team is winning or losing. Still polite and friendly. I dont yell at anyone, I dont scream at the screen (I save THAT for single-player games, hah), I dont do any of that crap. I just try to do my best regardless of what's going on, and I keep a positive attitude towards other players. You wouldnt believe just how much effect this has. It makes other players less likely to flip the hell out themselves (because nobody is shrieking at them) and can make the entire match that much better. Hell, I'm still a new-ish player to this, but I'm already getting commendations because of this sort of thing.

It really is all up to you, as to the kind of experience you have. I suggest at least giving the game a try yourself. Just keep the right attitude, and you might really enjoy it.

Anyway, as for me, I do play, though again I'm still very new to this. And it's not the only "moba" that I play. I also have Dota 2, Smite, Infinite Crisis, and Dawngate, with Dawngate getting the most playtime when it's servers are up (thursday through sunday each week). I quite enjoy LoL, though I've much to learn.

My name on there is Enchu. I tend to play support much of the time, as my reaction speed is as fast as it gets, and I'm good about keeping track of (and avoiding) threats, so I seem best in a support/defensive role. My most often-played champion so far is Soraka. I also like Lulu and Cho'gath alot (seriously, his special ability is freaking awesome. Rampaging around while he's at his most gigantic never stops being entertaining). I have a good number of unlocked champs but I havent gotten around to properly starting practice with many of them.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 3:14 pm

Misery wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
My most often-played champion so far is Soraka. I also like Lulu and Cho'gath alot (seriously, his special ability is freaking awesome. Rampaging around while he's at his most gigantic never stops being entertaining). I have a good number of unlocked champs but I havent gotten around to properly starting practice with many of them.

That's funny, because I main Cho'Gath. :) Gentleman all the way!

Edit: My username is VoidScourge.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 7:34 am

Misery wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Oh, you dont HAVE to play them that way; that's a misconception. They like to ADVERTISE them that way, because that aspect.... or more specifically, WATCHING that aspect.... is something alot of players enjoy. But yeah, you dont have to take part in any of that yourself.

The game DOES have a proper unranked mode, which seems to involve alot less random anger (because nobody has rankings being affected on leaderboards), and is good for just, you know, playing and enjoying it. Even moreso if you play with friends. The actual full "ranked" mode is where people start getting overly competetive and more irritable.

Also.... the raging bit that you mention? That's ENTIRELY the player's doing. Not that of the game. If they're raging at it, it's because they're ALLOWING themselves to rage at it, the same as any gamer raging at any other game. Something that most of us have done from time to time in a variety of games.

Me, I play this and similar games and am always, always, ALWAYS friendly and ultra-polite to everyone. Doesnt matter if my team is winning or losing. Still polite and friendly. I dont yell at anyone, I dont scream at the screen (I save THAT for single-player games, hah), I dont do any of that crap. I just try to do my best regardless of what's going on, and I keep a positive attitude towards other players. You wouldnt believe just how much effect this has. It makes other players less likely to flip the hell out themselves (because nobody is shrieking at them) and can make the entire match that much better. Hell, I'm still a new-ish player to this, but I'm already getting commendations because of this sort of thing.

It really is all up to you, as to the kind of experience you have. I suggest at least giving the game a try yourself. Just keep the right attitude, and you might really enjoy it.

Anyway, as for me, I do play, though again I'm still very new to this. And it's not the only "moba" that I play. I also have Dota 2, Smite, Infinite Crisis, and Dawngate, with Dawngate getting the most playtime when it's servers are up (thursday through sunday each week). I quite enjoy LoL, though I've much to learn.

My name on there is Enchu. I tend to play support much of the time, as my reaction speed is as fast as it gets, and I'm good about keeping track of (and avoiding) threats, so I seem best in a support/defensive role. My most often-played champion so far is Soraka. I also like Lulu and Cho'gath alot (seriously, his special ability is freaking awesome. Rampaging around while he's at his most gigantic never stops being entertaining). I have a good number of unlocked champs but I havent gotten around to properly starting practice with many of them.

I'm actually quite prone to raging over games, even if it's just something silly and meaningless like a single player game or a pub server on an FPS. The thing is though, I don't use a mic when I play online, so nobody has to hear me raging. :P I know, it's kind of like the pot calling the kettle black, but the fact is that I tend to avoid games that are known to cause people to rage.

TheBraveSirRobin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2013, 3:40 am

You guys ought to add me on League, my username is SirNameless. I am gloriously average at the game and it's pretty hard to ever catch me online since I'm pretty of the game. Nonetheless, I would still appreciate it if a few of you were to add me though, I do like playing a MOBA with a group no matter how bored I am of soloqueueing in the game. You really should add me on Steam or something else like that, though, if you want to be able to notify me of team matches easily.

JamXmed
Raven
Raven

17 Dec 2013, 11:00 pm

Misery wrote:

i just gotta say this. Do you play on EU west? if you don't then you are right, FOR YOUR SERVER. EU West is hell for the ragers. When you pick your champion, you'll always have the argument of who has to play support (lucky i main mid and support), then you'll have the instalocking "New Age Teemo Roaming Jungle No Smite" that will feed and will blame it on everyone else (funny seeing as most players blame the teemo OR the jungler) OOOOHHHH not to mention, if you do play jungle properly, you'll have them mid laner demanding blue EVERY. SINGLE. SECOND. after they give it to the opponent then blaming you for not giving them blue causing them to lose lane. Oh, not to forget the kind of abuse i get from solo queing support. Seriously. It is the worst thing ever. The ADC WILL abuse you and they WILL blame every enemy gank on you and they WILL get caught out and blame you for not helping them 1 v 5 while you have no mana... I have bad experiences with LoL...

bright side, they are Buffing my Birdie and i shall play her every chance i get because anivia is my birdie that forces enemies to rage quit (seriously... no joke... last 5 matches, the mid laner either rage quit or had their team harass them for letting me farm... Anivia is funny...)

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 5:13 am

JamXmed wrote:
Misery wrote:

i just gotta say this. Do you play on EU west? if you don't then you are right, FOR YOUR SERVER. EU West is hell for the ragers. When you pick your champion, you'll always have the argument of who has to play support (lucky i main mid and support), then you'll have the instalocking "New Age Teemo Roaming Jungle No Smite" that will feed and will blame it on everyone else (funny seeing as most players blame the teemo OR the jungler) OOOOHHHH not to mention, if you do play jungle properly, you'll have them mid laner demanding blue EVERY. SINGLE. SECOND. after they give it to the opponent then blaming you for not giving them blue causing them to lose lane. Oh, not to forget the kind of abuse i get from solo queing support. Seriously. It is the worst thing ever. The ADC WILL abuse you and they WILL blame every enemy gank on you and they WILL get caught out and blame you for not helping them 1 v 5 while you have no mana... I have bad experiences with LoL...

bright side, they are Buffing my Birdie and i shall play her every chance i get because anivia is my birdie that forces enemies to rage quit (seriously... no joke... last 5 matches, the mid laner either rage quit or had their team harass them for letting me farm... Anivia is funny...)

Oh, I know of all of that stuff. I can guarantee you, it is not restricted to that server. It is pervasive to all servers, the same as it is for any other MOBA. It is more prevalent on the ranked mode, but it still exists in unranked. He'll, the worst one for it is Dota 2, as that game has exactly one mode, ranked only, and one map only.... So ALL of it is concentrated all into one area. But yes, I've already seen all of that.

Thing is though, I simply remain unaffected by it. If someone flips out at me? Instant mute. No hesitation there, same as I do in any of these games. Followed by a report if necessary. And then I simply continue with whatever I was doing. I do not argue with them, as it is futile, and can actually be grounds for a report as well. The devs and also high ranked players always recommend never arguing, and simply muting, because contributing to the stupid just makes it worse.

The silly instalock wars for mid are annoying, but.... Not my problem, that. I've no interest in playing mid myself, and my position of support is rarely contested. Mid, and jungle, I do not play, or really want to. I'm fine with the other roles. Sadly, the only way to get past the instalock problem is to do it yourself, it seems. So I can sometimes understand why some players do it, as there are inevitably many situations where they'd like to play that role, but for multiple matches they don't at all get the chance. Bloody stupid, but that's how it goes. I like how Dawngate (which I'm in the beta for) handles that one: there simply IS no mid lane (and in that game, there doesn't ever need to be, as it has its own interesting things that its map has going for it to add much to the depth). Infinite Crisis has done the same thing with their second map, which is a rather funky and complicated 2 lane map with a giant jungle area between the lanes. As it is though ill never understand the obsession with the mid role that so many players have in this genre.

JamXmed
Raven
Raven

19 Dec 2013, 10:30 am

Misery wrote:
The silly instalock wars for mid are annoying, but.... Not my problem, that. I've no interest in playing mid myself, and my position of support is rarely contested. Mid, and jungle, I do not play, or really want to. I'm fine with the other roles. Sadly, the only way to get past the instalock problem is to do it yourself, it seems. So I can sometimes understand why some players do it, as there are inevitably many situations where they'd like to play that role, but for multiple matches they don't at all get the chance. Bloody stupid, but that's how it goes. I like how Dawngate (which I'm in the beta for) handles that one: there simply IS no mid lane (and in that game, there doesn't ever need to be, as it has its own interesting things that its map has going for it to add much to the depth). Infinite Crisis has done the same thing with their second map, which is a rather funky and complicated 2 lane map with a giant jungle area between the lanes. As it is though ill never understand the obsession with the mid role that so many players have in this genre.

:L I don't really see peoples obsession with it either :/ I mean, I understand the idea of carrying a game from mid lane is what people dream of doing... well... :/ hmmm. The LCS and World Championships are :/ hmmmm.... Most Pro teams mid laners are like singers from bands, you recognize them better them. They're the people like Froggen and Toyz (which is funny because their best champion is/was Anivia :3 like mine xD ) the job is to stop the enemy pushing the shortest lane, so you need heavy CC and damage which often leads you onto killing sprees that never end. People like that i guess :/ most of them aren't that good either :/ I mean, i mained mid lane through season 3 but back in season 2, i was a jungler. I moved to mid lane after realizing how easy it was (and how much you don't get blamed for. Cause... you know... it's always the junglers fault...) but yeh...

Summing up this wall of text, MID LANE IS EASY, YOU GET TO ACT LIKE A BRITISH ROCKSTAR WITH A BRITISH ACCENT AND SHOW OFF which is why people like that lane... OOOOH, you also level way faster than any other lane... unless you are against Anivia... If you are against Anivia, you'll never get farm...

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Dec 2013, 3:44 am

BeggingTurtle wrote:
Misery wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
My most often-played champion so far is Soraka. I also like Lulu and Cho'gath alot (seriously, his special ability is freaking awesome. Rampaging around while he's at his most gigantic never stops being entertaining). I have a good number of unlocked champs but I havent gotten around to properly starting practice with many of them.

That's funny, because I main Cho'Gath. :) Gentleman all the way!

Edit: My username is VoidScourge.

Cho'gath and viktor here.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 5:09 pm

JamXmed wrote:
Misery wrote:

:L I don't really see peoples obsession with it either :/ I mean, I understand the idea of carrying a game from mid lane is what people dream of doing... well... :/ hmmm. The LCS and World Championships are :/ hmmmm.... Most Pro teams mid laners are like singers from bands, you recognize them better them. They're the people like Froggen and Toyz (which is funny because their best champion is/was Anivia :3 like mine xD ) the job is to stop the enemy pushing the shortest lane, so you need heavy CC and damage which often leads you onto killing sprees that never end. People like that i guess :/ most of them aren't that good either :/ I mean, i mained mid lane through season 3 but back in season 2, i was a jungler. I moved to mid lane after realizing how easy it was (and how much you don't get blamed for. Cause... you know... it's always the junglers fault...) but yeh...

Summing up this wall of text, MID LANE IS EASY, YOU GET TO ACT LIKE A BRITISH ROCKSTAR WITH A BRITISH ACCENT AND SHOW OFF which is why people like that lane... OOOOH, you also level way faster than any other lane... unless you are against Anivia... If you are against Anivia, you'll never get farm...

Yeah, all about the kill count, I suppose.

I'd sorta thought that the Mid role did seem kinda impressive at first myself..... until I started to understand my role when playing support. The mid players dont seem even close to that impressive when I spend half of the time saving them from themselves, which seems to be 75% of what the support role consists of in most matches (saving the carry, too). I wish this genre had an easier time getting it through players' heads that the kill count is NOT all-important; tower smashing is what counts, and then smashing the base. But no, gotta get them kill sprees, so many players will happily walk into chainsaws over and over again in the quest to get kills, and it's usually the mid or the carry that's doing this the most.

TheBraveSirRobin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2013, 6:10 am

Personally I don't care that much for mid lane. The only mid laner it seems I am capable of doing well with whenever I get back into League is Malzahar, and I tend to do pretty well with him without much effort so it's a little boring to go mid lane for me. I am more accustomed to jungling because it's really not that hard to learn how to jungle well with a particular champion, but it requires the most strategic thinking of all the roles, which, ironically, is a weakness of my gameplay style that kinda makes me ill suited to my favorite role. Also I play top lane occasionally because a lot of my jungle champions can fill that lane as well.

Oh, and you guys above me are preaching to the choir about people acting selfishly and thinking their KDA makes them amazing at League. With my experience, I am more than aware of the ridiculous notions that the average League player has about the importance of "bragging rights" statistics and I've pretty much come to accept the fact that some players simply incapable of understanding the value of anything besides them.

octoberskold
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Dec 2013, 6:19 am

I tend to play alot when I'm home. And what you guys said about the EU west servers, is so true. People are raging non stop and I've been pissed of sooo many times cause people just are so rude. I've mostly played soloQ but I'd really love to play with someone.
My username on the EU West server is: octobers :)

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 8:35 pm

TheBraveSirRobin wrote:
Personally I don't care that much for mid lane. The only mid laner it seems I am capable of doing well with whenever I get back into League is Malzahar, and I tend to do pretty well with him without much effort so it's a little boring to go mid lane for me. I am more accustomed to jungling because it's really not that hard to learn how to jungle well with a particular champion, but it requires the most strategic thinking of all the roles, which, ironically, is a weakness of my gameplay style that kinda makes me ill suited to my favorite role. Also I play top lane occasionally because a lot of my jungle champions can fill that lane as well.

Oh, and you guys above me are preaching to the choir about people acting selfishly and thinking their KDA makes them amazing at League. With my experience, I am more than aware of the ridiculous notions that the average League player has about the importance of "bragging rights" statistics and I've pretty much come to accept the fact that some players simply incapable of understanding the value of anything besides them.

Yeah, pretty much.

Though I gotta say, I actually found the problem to be even worse in Dota. It's hard to say WHY that is, but that's been my experience with it. Mid-obsessed players are annoying in EVERY moba, without exception, but so far for me, Dota has managed the worst of them.

Just.... ugh. I do so wish that there werent so many players in these games in general that conspire to make great games into crapfests via sheer asshattery.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 4:20 am

I myself play League quite often, but considering relationship issues going on the past few days (L&D for more info) activity rate will probably drop > <

I suppose that there can be some ragers from time to time, but once you get better at it it's actually quite simple to defuse the issue. Can get rough before then though Q_Q

I'm Zodai on NA if anyone is interested. I think I already have Nameless added.

Author/Writer