Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Laddo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 7:40 am

Any horror game enthusiasts out there? What are your favourite horror games, and why?

One of my favourites is Silent Hill 2. I honestly believe it is one of the best games of all time. The storyline is quite deep and full of metaphors, the graphics are pretty good for a game from 2001, the monster design is warped and the music is so, so good.

Other favourites include Silent Hill 1, Resident Evil 1-3, Cry of Fear (my brother is one of the developers) and Dino Crisis 2.

I've actually got an idea for a horror game brewing myself but it's all in the planning stages. If I get any further with it I'll be sure to post updates on here

I am no longer using this account or this website. Do not bother contacting me because any messages will be ignored. The fact that you can't delete your profile while all your information is retained is also disgraceful.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 8:17 am

I recently purchased Amnesia: the Dark Descent on Steam which has been quite highly acclaimed for its scare factor. I've only just started playing so I can't comment in great depth:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/57300/

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 9:13 am

I haven't played many horror games. The first I played was Clock Tower for the Super Nintendo. It was terrifying at the time but it probably hasn't aged well. I played some of the Alone in the Dark games which were not really memorable. Resident Evil 4 and 5 were excellent and ok respectively. I did try to get into Silent Hill, picked up the fourth one but it was among the dullest games I've played.

The most recent really scary game I've played was Amnesia The Dark Descent. It took me so long to play it because I could only play it in short bursts before getting too anxious. The Last of Us was amazing and one of the best games I played on the last generation of consoles.

Laddo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 11:01 am

I've been meaning to play the Amnesia games for some time now. I'll have to make it my next game purchase.

Quote:
I did try to get into Silent Hill, picked up the fourth one but it was among the dullest games I've played.

Silent Hill 4 is an odd one. I agree that it's pretty dull to play and confusing as hell. But the first three games are definitely worth a play if you like survival horror

I am no longer using this account or this website. Do not bother contacting me because any messages will be ignored. The fact that you can't delete your profile while all your information is retained is also disgraceful.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 11:49 am

I've posted in this same thread many times before, but I guess I'll post again ;)

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is probably my favorite. I liked RE 1-4 (CV was okay), but I've always hated the "combat" in the first two. I've beaten Alone in the Dark 1 and 4...2 crashed on me, I need to give it another go, maybe DOSBox will run it better than the real thing @_@

Uninvited on the Mac was awesome. That game scared the pants off of me when I was a kid. Then again, so did Shadowrun when I was even younger (and that was the censored NES version!)

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 3:15 pm

I very much enjoyed playing Resident Evil 4 (Xbox 360) and also The Cat Lady (PC)
I also enjoyed Clocktower 3 (PS2) , and also Eternal Darkness (Gamecube).

I played The Cat Lady over two consecutive nights with good quality headphones on... to optimise the creepiness.
Ah, good times.
:-)

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 9:19 pm

out of the few horrors have played only ever liked silent hill 1 and thought it was amazing, hated the resident evil series found the controls very confusing,clunky and disorientating.
another horror had played was an xfiles point and click game on the playstation one,it was rated low by the official playstation magazine but bought it on pirate copy as the PS was chipped so it didnt matter.
it was actualy pretty good,though slow moving and completely confusing in places but for xfiles fans worth a play back then.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 4:35 pm

Ladywoofwoof wrote:
I played The Cat Lady over two consecutive nights with good quality headphones on... to optimise the creepiness.

Gosh, I couldn't do that with a horror game (or movie). I have enough trouble with headphones in my dimly lit room, I always get that "somebody's watching me" feeling...usually when I turn around, nothing is there @_@

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2014, 6:45 am

EnglishInvader wrote:
I recently purchased Amnesia: the Dark Descent on Steam which has been quite highly acclaimed for its scare factor. I've only just started playing so I can't comment in great depth:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/57300/

The Dark Descent was a favorite of mine, too, but it's a lot of atmosphere and the challenge factor is less than in some other games. Assuming you're a badass, anyway.