Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 2:45 am

http://store.steampowered.com/app/332310/ - on monday LEGO Worlds game ws released in Steam. While it's now on Early Access, the game is pretty nice and relatively cheap.

This is sandbox game - you have open world(s) where you can travel, explore, build, destroy, ride animals and vehicles, and many other features. Developers say they will add much more content time by time, and I believe them - team is rather experienced in game develpment.

I bought the game yesterday - and had a fantastic evening! Like I'm again in my childhod playing with lego bricks and figures.

So I highly recommend it for everybody who loves lego, much better than other released lego pc games. You can see gameplay videos and screnshots by the link above.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 11:20 pm

I've dropped it on my "wanted list" there, as it looks like a decent game, but I want to wait to see if (on the off chance) it drops in price with the upcoming sales.

I asked my daughter about it last night, assuming she was unaware of it, and she was extremely excited (based on having seen someone play it...presumably on youtube), rating what she'd seen as much better than minecraft (which is her favourite game).

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 11:37 pm

Brictoria wrote:
I've dropped it on my "wanted list" there, as it looks like a decent game, but I want to wait to see if (on the off chance) it drops in price with the upcoming sales.

I asked my daughter about it last night, assuming she was unaware of it, and she was extremely excited (based on having seen someone play it...presumably on youtube), rating what she'd seen as much better than minecraft (which is her favourite game).

Well, if you remember Minecraft - they were adding new content and features for a long time. So should do lego worlds developers - and that is what they promised.

However I've already spend dozen of hours mostly just for exploring the world, and there is also building of course that can even now take plenty of time - lots of possibilities.

And there are vehicles, rideable animals and even a flyable flame-breathing dragon.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 11:58 pm

I'm sure I'll be getting it in the next few weeks.

I just wish there was some way to "import" actual LEGO sets you've bought into the game, as I have a room full of LEGO going back to the 1950's or so that I reckon could be fun in there. After all, who wouldn't want to fly around in a classic space (or star wars) spaceship.

Of course, the main thing (other than the upcoming sale) that has me hesitant is the lack of 1st person view...I generally find 3rd person view harder to navigate with, but I'm sure I can learn.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 1:28 am

Brictoria wrote:

I just wish there was some way to "import" actual LEGO sets you've bought into the game, as I have a room full of LEGO going back to the 1950's or so that I reckon could be fun in there. After all, who wouldn't want to fly around in a classic space (or star wars) spaceship.

Of course, the main thing (other than the upcoming sale) that has me hesitant is the lack of 1st person view...I generally find 3rd person view harder to navigate with, but I'm sure I can learn.

3rd person is perfect for construction - for me there it's much more user-friendly than in minecraft.

About importing sets - of course I'm not developer and they don't share with me any plans, but I'm sure they won't do such kind of import. Instead they are planning to add actual lego sets from different areas (city, medieval, western and so on) and develop new player functions (maybe vehicle editor and quests for example).

They also say there is already an opportunity to import models from Lego Digital Designer, free software for lego building on the pc. Instruction is in the Community Hub - DIscussions on Lego Worlds page in Steam.

P.S. I love old lego sets - I have some from early 90's - they are perfect! My favorite are from 1995 and 1996 years - imo city was better, knights were more knightly, pirates were completely awesome (with ships!), and space scifi series of that time was amazing. However at the end of 1990's they also created perfect Mummy-stlye sets, with adventurers like Indiana Jones, egypt temples and so on, and also started wild west series.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 1:40 am

Andreger wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

3rd person is perfect for construction - for me there it's much more user-friendly than in minecraft.

About importing sets - of course I'm not developer and they don't share with me any plans, but I'm sure they won't do such kind of import. Instead they are planning to add actual lego sets from different areas (city, medieval, western and so on) and develop new player functions (maybe vehicle editor and quests for example).

They also say there is already an opportunity to import models from Lego Digital Designer, free software for lego building on the pc. Instruction is in the Community Hub - DIscussions on Lego Worlds page in Steam.

P.S. I love old lego sets - I have some from early 90's - they are perfect! My favorite are from 1995 and 1996 years - imo city was better, knights were more knightly, pirates were completely awesome (with ships!), and space scifi series of that time was amazing. However at the end of 1990's they also created perfect Mummy-stlye sets, with adventurers like Indiana Jones, egypt temples and so on, and also started wild west series.

It sounds like you started just before they went downhill (for a few years) with the horrible "town Jr." sets release around 1997.

Personally, I prefer the late 70's and 1980's sets...classic space, early castle sets, original Pirates line, etc. but that's purely as they were what I got when I was younger, although at the time I only got small sets, and even those were rarely received. I have since, of course, probably over compensated...But it is nice when you finally are able to get the set(s) you really wanted as a child, but you\family never had money for.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 2:32 am

I wasn't even born in 1970's yet. And in soviet union there were no lego anyway, until the beginning of 1990's :-)

City become terrible not in 1997 but rather near 1999-2000 - I had all the catalogs for that period and looked them through many times so I realized that horrible trend.

However I've been few weeks ago in the toy store, and I can say city loegs are now much better than ten years ago - City Square, Deep Explorers, Shuttle, Airport, and many others - they went back to the beginning of 1990's. At least something positive :-)

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 6:04 am

Andreger wrote:
I wasn't even born in 1970's yet. And in soviet union there were no lego anyway, until the beginning of 1990's :-)

City become terrible not in 1997 but rather near 1999-2000 - I had all the catalogs for that period and looked them through many times so I realized that horrible trend.

However I've been few weeks ago in the toy store, and I can say city loegs are now much better than ten years ago - City Square, Deep Explorers, Shuttle, Airport, and many others - they went back to the beginning of 1990's. At least something positive :-)

I still have my first set floating around somewhere in the back of my LEGO room...

1997 was when the rot started to set in:
Town Junior from 1997
It did get worse over the next couple of years, I'll agree.

But yes, it was when the divers first appeared (or Deep Explorers), but the have been many other city squares, airports, shuttles...And something slightly different to today's offerings from LEGO. (and yes, everything on the "baseplate" is LEGO...HO scale.)

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 6:56 am

Brictoria wrote:
Andreger wrote:

I still have my first set floating around somewhere in the back of my LEGO room...

1997 was when the rot started to set in:
Town Junior from 1997
It did get worse over the next couple of years, I'll agree.

But yes, it was when the divers first appeared (or Deep Explorers), but the have been many other city squares, airports, shuttles...And something slightly different to today's offerings from LEGO. (and yes, everything on the "baseplate" is LEGO...HO scale.)

Ok, I'm mistaken a bit.

By the way, I actually loved ancestors of that junior town by the link - I had a whole fire department of 1998 year together with some small sets of 96-97 like cars with "Octane" logo. At that time sets were more complex for my opinion. I've seen close fire station of the beginning of 2000-s and it has in fact less details, and models are simplier in general.

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 9:40 am

always loved Lego, still do in fact, I still build stuff with real Lego bricks, but Lego Worlds great too. I guess it depends on what I want to build. When I buy new sets I usually buy them for the bricks and the mini figures. I like building my own simple stuff. Mostly been building a Lego town, making it very basic. nothing too complex, using models built out of other sets and whatever random bricks I can find in any of the large plastic containers of Lego bricks I have.