Doom Thread, Knee Deep in the Mods Edition

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 12:55 pm

Hey guys,

I can't wait for Doom 4 or simply Doom as of right now and I have been playing some the mods for Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3. I really like pirate Doom and Metroid: Dreadnought on Doom 2. Both of those are awesome and I never could get into Wolfenstien 3D cause the controls suck but I find the Wolfenstein 3D TC for Doom much more playable. I played through the entire Wolfenstien 3D game using that mod and I never got much past the first episode in the original version of Wolfenstien 3D.

Church of Ruins is also a fun map for Doom 3 but I have modified Doom 3 less than its DOS counterpart. I don't care for Kyle873's Doom RGP, I don't get it and I had a lot of trouble installing it and I don't know if I got everything working the way it was suppose to. I don't care for Brutal Doom that much despite being awesome, its fun but I die a lot so they kinda changed a lot. Its not so much harder than it is you need faster reaction time.

What mods are you playing in anticipation of Doom (2016)?

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 2:51 pm

Far as I'm concerned, the new Doom is waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too far off to get me to even care. I'll start giving a damn when it's about 2 weeks away, maybe.

That being said, I have no idea if this is considered a mod or not, but when I do play Doom or Doom 2 (or Hexen) it's always the "ZDoom" version.

Different maps, I'll try those out every now and then. Used to make them myself, way back when. Didnt have any of these fancy-shmancy easy to use map editors back then. Had DOS, had really idiotic interfaces, had lots and lots of lines and stuff, had to load the whole damn game after rendering the bloody nodes for the 3250672754th time every time I wanted to so much as look at a tiny change I might have made. Heck, I still have this gigantic 1000-page book that came out around that time that was all about how to make levels for the game. I love stuff like that. Dont see that sorta thing these days, really.

Ah, those were the days.... sorta....

Now my mind will be stuck on this all day/night.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 3:50 pm

If you like ZDoom, check out GZDoom, its the definitive Doom port right now. Its compatible with the most mods and has a good community. ZDoom is not a mod in and of itself, its a port, which adds more compatibility for mods, maps, etc. I am trying to compile GZDoom on Arch Linux right now.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 9:08 pm

I like to keep things authentic. I mean I've played some fun ZDoom mods, but when I play vanilla maps I prefer to use either Chocolate Doom or the original DOS engine.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 2:26 am

I think the last time I played DOOM, I played the Bioshock de-make map.

One mod I really like, it's very subtle, but it changes it so that Cacodemons actually bleed blue, Hell Barons bleed green, etc.

There's also a couple mods that port the Jaguar version of DOOM to the PC...and a mod that ports the N64 game, but it's a little buggy. One of these days I'd like to own the actual cart.

dcj123 wrote:
...I never could get into Wolfenstien 3D cause the controls suck but I find the Wolfenstein 3D TC for Doom much more playable.

There's one for Quake, too. Hasn't been updated in a while though.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130921212 ... ory=Booths

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I like to keep things authentic. I mean I've played some fun ZDoom mods, but when I play vanilla maps I prefer to use either Chocolate Doom or the original DOS engine.

I use ZDOOM on PC, but I turn most of the options off (some require cvars) to get it to look like vanilla.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 2:04 pm

This is what I am running right now, brutal doom on GZDoom with the ultimate DoomVisor. Had to use notarget to get a screenshot that wasn't too R-rated for this fourm, brutal doom kinda went overboard with its violence level.

On inferno right now, playing the entire game on Ultra-Violence.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 5:03 am

I only played Doom 2.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 10:56 am

dcj123 wrote:
This is what I am running right now, brutal doom on GZDoom with the ultimate DoomVisor.

I can't do GZDOOM, those games just look super ugly with bilinear filtering.

That HUD is kind of cute, though.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 4:26 am

What's the best way to get started with weapons and physics modding for ZDoom? I have some ideas I've been wanting to play around with for a multiplayer FPS, and I figure that ZDoom would be a good launchpad to start off on.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 8:09 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:

Options -> Display Options -> OpenGL Options -> Texture Options -> Texture Filter Mode

The only difference as stated on Doom forums between GZDOOM and ZDOOM is ZDOOM uses software render and GZDOOM uses hardware render. This has little effect on appearance, you can make GZDOOM look just like ZDOOM, Hardware render does however allow for things like dynamic lighting and reflective floors which can't work on software render. Really I like to think that GZDOOM just increases compatibility. I recommend giving it another go tweaking the settings to your liking, you can get a very vanilla experience with GZDOOM.

Arch Linux refuses to compile GZDOOM and the one from AUR is broken, I am going to try and compile on a virtual Ubuntu and move the binaries over.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 7:24 am

dcj123 wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:

Options -> Display Options -> OpenGL Options -> Texture Options -> Texture Filter Mode

The only difference as stated on Doom forums between GZDOOM and ZDOOM is ZDOOM uses software render and GZDOOM uses hardware render. This has little effect on appearance, you can make GZDOOM look just like ZDOOM, Hardware render does however allow for things like dynamic lighting and reflective floors which can't work on software render. Really I like to think that GZDOOM just increases compatibility. I recommend giving it another go tweaking the settings to your liking, you can get a very vanilla experience with GZDOOM.

Arch Linux refuses to compile GZDOOM and the one from AUR is broken, I am going to try and compile on a virtual Ubuntu and move the binaries over.

Doesn't GZDoom also have better support for 3D floors? If I ever get into mapping again I'd like to do some stuff with room-over-room.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 7:31 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Doesn't GZDoom also have better support for 3D floors? If I ever get into mapping again I'd like to do some stuff with room-over-room.

It appears both GZDoom and ZDoom have this feature since around 2011 according to this thread,

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/54216-zdoom-3d-floors/

I haven't really played around with 3D maps, running them or creating them for that matter. I would like to get into map editing more though.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 7:42 am

dcj123 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

It appears both GZDoom and ZDoom have this feature since around 2011 according to this thread,

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/54216-zdoom-3d-floors/

I haven't really played around with 3D maps, running them or creating them for that matter. I would like to get into map editing more though.

Well, I'll be damned. I admit, I haven't paid attention to the Doom scene much since Skulltag went belly-up. Zandronum just isn't the same.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 9:08 am

Doom / Doom II is on sell on steam until tomorrow, I don't mean to sound like an advertisement but its actually a pretty good version. They run through Dosbox and have the keys setup for WASD controls. I picked up master levels which I had never played so this is going to be interesting. Except I don't know how to access the master levels though vanilla Doom II but still cool.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 12:02 pm

dcj123 wrote:
Doom / Doom II is on sell on steam until tomorrow, I don't mean to sound like an advertisement but its actually a pretty good version. They run through Dosbox and have the keys setup for WASD controls. I picked up master levels which I had never played so this is going to be interesting. Except I don't know how to access the master levels though vanilla Doom II but still cool.

I had to look up scancodes online so I could change some of the keybindings though. They don't come with SETUP.EXE, which I think is ludicrous.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 9:34 am

dcj123 wrote:
They run through Dosbox and have the keys setup for WASD controls.

You can just take the WADs out and throw them in your ZDOOM folder.